Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

AsherN
Premium
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON

Bell (dis) service strikes again

OK, so I took the plunge and dropped Rogers for Fibe TV. Already had Fibe 25/10 internet. First off, the service rocks. I'm dreading the first few bills, but I'll deal with that.

Kudos to the tech who not only showed up during the Feb 9 snowstorm, but was early. He installed the PVR in the den, one receiver in the basement, the third receiver was going to a bedroom and I did not want him in there. No problem, he just removed the one in the basement, plugged in the third one just to make sure it powered on and was done. all 3 boxes running on coax. Tech was professional, nice guy.

My oldest son comes home from a business trip on Saturday, takes the basement receiver and connects it to his ethernet comnnection in his room. Loves it. Tells me he wants to rent himself a receiver. This is where the supidity begins.

Having been with Rogers forever, we're used to just going to a Rogers store to pick up a new terminal, bring it home and plug it in. We call 6 local Bell stores. Only one actually answered the phone and told me he did not have receiver in stock. Called the local "The Source". Yes he has some in stock. But he can pnly sell it outright. For rental, call 310-BELL.

So I call. On the phone for nearly an hour. Turns out that I can buy a receiver and connect it myself, but to rent one, I have to take a day off work and pay $50 for a tech to come in, unbox the receiver and connect 3 wires.

Come on guys. Why to you trust me with a self install on a purchased box but not on a rental. Rogers does. I managed to get the install fee waived, but I stiill have to take a day off work.

And the the supervisor I was talking to tells me that even if I had orderd all 4 receivers at install time, I'd I've been charged %50 for the 4th one anyway because the Fibe install fee only covers 3 receivers. Unbelievable.

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4

Bell has never carried rental equipment in their retail stores. They do not facilitate pickups, returns or exchanges of their rental equipment at their stores. In addition, Bell's IPTV setup, makes it more complicated to get a STB up and running in certain scenarios, therefore a tech roll is often a good idea, although I do disagree with charging for it.

There are pros and cons to the way Rogers and Bell handles equipment, I personally don't think one system is better than the other.

Pros of Bell's tech roll only system
-Ensures everything is up and running on the first go
-Reduces wait times for help at retail stores
-Retail space is precious, not stocking rental equipment allows for greater availability of other popular items.
-In the event of service interruption, a tech roll ensures that they can verify that it is indeed an STB issue and not something else.

Cons of Bell's system
-Potentially lengthy wait times to have equipment replaced
-Less convenient when you want to add more TVs
-Greater potential for incorrect unreturned equipment charges

Pros of Rogers system
-Can hook up a brand new TV within the same day
-Potential for incorrect unreturned equipment charges are minimal
-Equipment malfunctions can be addressed within the same day
-Can easily add other services like Internet on the same day

Cons of Rogers system
-Rental equipment takes up a lot of space, smaller stores may sacrifice carrying other items in order to accomodate rental equipment
-Customers potentially waste time during service interruptions, as it may not be an equipment issue
-Longer wait times for help at retail locations due to increased traffic.

AsherN
Premium
Thornhill, ON

Rogers also has the option of a tech install.

Setup is exactly none. All the tech did on the original 3 boxes is add their serial numbers to my account.

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4

said by AsherN:

Rogers also has the option of a tech install.

Setup is exactly none. All the tech did on the original 3 boxes is add their serial numbers to my account.

They do, but it's not the preferred option, and you get charged for a tech install if your coax is already active on Rogers.

It's true, setup is generally straightforward for most users, but Bell enforces truck rolls, as they've made the business decision not to stock rental equipment at their retail stores, not necessarily because consumers are incapable of a self install.

AsherN
Premium
Thornhill, ON

IMHO, it's a stupid move. For something that easy, and I'm talking about adding equipment to an already installed account, it would be cheaper to not roll a truck. Some stores already stocks the boxes, for purchase, all they'd need to do is allow rental pickups.