All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

Forosnai
join:2011-09-30

Forosnai to AgentGoat

to AgentGoat

Re: AT&T/Yahoo email trainwreck

Sounds like he imported his yahoo ID over as a paid ATT account. When that is done they are exactly the same, but all the password and security stuff behind ATT's walled garden is done as xxx@att.net.
For instance, if his yahoo email address is oldman2@yahoo.com then do change or manage the password you have to go to att.com and change the password to oldman2@att.net. They are effectively the same email account.
AgentGoat
join:2011-09-07
Springfield, OH

AgentGoat

Hmm... that is interesting, b/c the prefix on his @att.net login is @att.net. We did change the password on that, and it had no effect on the @yahoo.com.

I guess I could try logging in as @att.net and see if that works at all... thanks for the suggestion!

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

1 edit

NormanS to Forosnai

MVM

to Forosnai
said by Forosnai:

Sounds like he imported his yahoo ID over as a paid ATT account. When that is done they are exactly the same, but all the password and security stuff behind ATT's walled garden is done as xxx@att.net.

Sounds a bit different from what I remember. Back when I was a customer, and before SBC bought AT&T, I was able to "merge" a free Yahoo! Mail account with the SBC account; but the Yahoo! account did not become a sub-account, it became an alias to whichever sub account I merged it with.

Edit to demonstrate:

Merged accounts.

Although the same user name was used for both, I have also merged with different user names. I have not recently played with account management; not since leaving AT&T.

Forosnai
join:2011-09-30

Forosnai

Yup. If it's merged it doesn't become a sub account at all. The @yahoo.com and the @(insert att domain) effectively become the same exact account, same inbox, all the same mail settings, etc, but the @yahoo.com name just turns into an alias of the @(insert att domain) account.
It's a poor implementation on ATT's part because you can go years just typing in the @yahoo to check mail and have all your mail addressed to, but the second you need to actually mange the account password typing @yahoo behind ATT's walled garden doesn't fly.