spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ellentk

join:2011-01-18
New York, NY

Can SA Explorer 8300HDC send closed captions 2 standard TV?

When my standard SA Explorer 8300 malfunctioned, TW gave me an 8300HDC. Since I set it up with my standard def TV, I've been unable to get closed captions. I got them on my standard TV with the 8300.

I made no changes to the settings on my TV. I enabled captions on the 8300HDC, both "always on" and "on with mute." Neither worked.

Time Warner wants to send a tech over, but I'm wondering if the HD signal can't get through to my standard TV and a visit would be a waste of time.

Thanks for any info.

Satch

join:2009-11-25

said by ellentk:

When my standard SA Explorer 8300 malfunctioned, TW gave me an 8300HDC. Since I set it up with my standard def TV, I've been unable to get closed captions. I got them on my standard TV with the 8300.

I made no changes to the settings on my TV. I enabled captions on the 8300HDC, both "always on" and "on with mute." Neither worked.

Time Warner wants to send a tech over, but I'm wondering if the HD signal can't get through to my standard TV and a visit would be a waste of time.

Thanks for any info.

When we had a standard def TV we had an SA-8300, when that died, we got an SA-8300HDC. Closed Captioning did not work, until we bought an HD-TV and hooked up the HDMI cable and new TV to the box. Being hearing impaired, I was so happy to have this feature available! Since you already have an HD box, (they are all HD now), you might want to spend $500 just to get an HDTV. The difference in going from SD to HD is mind-boggling amazing! Remember, you would need to hook up the TV and box using either HDMI or Component Cables. S-Video Cables will not give you HD, and neither will Composite Cables. Closed-Captioning should work than. On with Mute I am told only works with the proper HDTV set up AND only if you control your box volume through your box. You would need Component Cable to control box volume through the box. HDMI only controls the volume through your TV, like most have it anyway.

Satch

Jabbu
Premium
join:2002-03-06
reply to ellentk

Try playing with the TVs CC settings.

ellentk

New York, NY
reply to Satch

Thanks so much, Satch. You've given me very helpful information. I think I'll follow your advice and get a HD TV. I already watch some movies and shows on my HD laptop and the difference is amazing.

Thanks for your help.

ellentk

New York, NY
reply to Jabbu

Hi Jabbu,

Thanks for your help.

The TV has been set to "closed captions on" when connected to the standard cable box and to the HD box. Clearing and resetting "closed captions on" on the TV didn't work. But it helps confirm that transmitting the signal from an HD cable box to a standard TV is impossible.

Ellen