uniqs
share rss forum feed

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

What is the life of the battery for a iNID

We had our installation January of last year and now the battery is telling us that it needs to be replaced. This sounds like an awful short lifetime, considering the circuit that supplies it is on our generator so it has never been without power. Is this within the expected life or shorter than normal? How do you go about replacing it? Does it need to be replaced?

DarienRedSox

join:2013-02-10
Darien, CT

Contact FiberSafe Battery at 1.866.327.5755, should have a 3 year warranty from the date on the sticker on top.

Tech007
Premium
join:2013-01-25
Belleville, IL
reply to Msradell

if you have a whole home generator than I would consider unplugging the battery part as it is redundant and not really necessary

DNSguy

join:2006-04-09
Saint Charles, MO
kudos:3

said by Tech007:

if you have a whole home generator than I would consider unplugging the battery part as it is redundant and not really necessary

Except that most whole home generators sense the loss of utility power, then start, then switch over to power the home. The process takes 30 - 60 seconds or so, during which time the iNID would lose power and have to re-sync. Using the battery means no loss of sync.

doubleohwhat

join:2008-10-25
Birmingham, AL

My 3801hgv-b re-syncs whenever power is lost and it has the battery backup attached. It seems the 3801hgv-b is extremely sensitive to power fluctuations and resets itself. If the iNID behaves similarly then the battery backup won't really make much of a difference.

DarienRedSox

join:2013-02-10
Darien, CT

Never had an issue with mine, battery comes one right away with no disruption to the iNID. Have not had a battery last long though going through 3 in a year and a half.

doubleohwhat

Birmingham, AL

It may just be the battery backup used with the 3801 then. I replaced it with a standard power supply plugged into my rack battery backup and I haven't had any issues since.

Forosnai

join:2011-09-30
kudos:2

The 3801 shouldn't re sync during a power failure if you have the Bellin rev b bbu unit and it's in proper working order. That symptom points to the bbu battery being dead or a problem with the power lines in the home (e. g. a power surge disrupting the VDSL2 signal).

doubleohwhat

Birmingham, AL

I called AT&T a few weeks after the install about it and was told as long as the battery backup powered up the 3801 then it was behaving correctly. I figured that was total BS. So I just unplugged the belkin bbu and used a standard power supply to plug the 3801 into the rack bbu. I've had zero issues since. Well, other than the 3801 being a POS

Tech007
Premium
join:2013-01-25
Belleville, IL

what standard ps did you plug into your 3801 It has to be 3.0 amps, could cause damage and other issues if you just use whatever power supply you had laying around or if you use one designed for the reg stb

doubleohwhat

Birmingham, AL

Erm, I ordered one that matched the belkin bbu specs. I'm not a total moron.

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
reply to DNSguy

said by DNSguy:

Except that most whole home generators sense the loss of utility power, then start, then switch over to power the home. The process takes 30 - 60 seconds or so, during which time the iNID would lose power and have to re-sync. Using the battery means no loss of sync.

As a cyberpower 1500avr owner I would agree with this. My regular ADSL modem at the house never loses sync as long as it is plugged into the cyberpower unit. the iNid battery just makes sense and would keep the iNid powered.
--
If you have a topic in the direct forum please reply to it or a post of mine, I get a notification when you do this.
Koetting Ford, Granite City, illinois... YOU'RE FIRED!!