join:2005-12-06
Wonderland
kudos:18
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

One on Amazon

»www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Surface···o+tablet
--
I Live In My Own World, But It's OK.....They Know Me There.

bgoodbody
Bill G

join:2002-05-08
North Truro, MA

$300 overprice
--
- Bill

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
San Jose, CA
reply to bgoodbody

said by bgoodbody:

Any Finds

Microsoft store, best buy, or staples. Call around. If you want the 64gb version you should have better luck thanks to clueless bloggers screaming about the disk space non-issue. The 128gb version is harder to come by.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1
reply to bgoodbody

One of my co-worker bought it yesterday in the Bellevue, WA MS store.

I'll be in Downtown Bellevue Wednesday, so I can check it out for you.

I think it usually takes v3.0 or v3.1 for any MS product to be good, so even if we count RT as v1.0 and Pro as 2.0, it may still be at least one rev short of a great product.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

bgoodbody
Bill G

North Truro, MA
reply to bgoodbody

Thanks, but not of much use here in the East MS Strores will not ship even if they have it.

Nearest MS Store is about 200 mile from here.

Staples 25 mi, Best Buy 50 mi Neither have or have had any, don't expect any either.

Only options seem to be MS Online, Staples Online or Best Buy Online
--
- Bill

CovMac
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Covington, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

said by bgoodbody:

Thanks, but not of much use here in the East MS Strores will not ship even if they have it.

Nearest MS Store is about 200 mile from here.

Staples 25 mi, Best Buy 50 mi Neither have or have had any, don't expect any either.

Only options seem to be MS Online, Staples Online or Best Buy Online

According to this ComputerWorld article, all outlets including MS stores are out-of-stock at this time.

»www.computerworld.com/s/article/···face_Pro
--
Mac

Ryan
Premium
join:2001-03-03
Braintree, MA
reply to bgoodbody

People are actually buying these things? Kind of shocked...

JohnInSJ
Premium
San Jose, CA

said by Ryan:

People are actually buying these things? Kind of shocked...

Why? They are kind of good.
--

Ryan
Premium
join:2001-03-03
Braintree, MA

"kind of good" summed it up nicely right there... I have a feeling they purposely kept the supply low to give more of a demand for them.

My opinion on them may not be accurate either... IDK personally I am not much of a tablet person. This is coming from someone who LOVES gadgets and technology. Personally I would rather spend the money on a nice small/thin ultrabook and have my smartphone for those times I need to quickly get information.

JohnInSJ
Premium
San Jose, CA

said by Ryan:

"kind of good" summed it up nicely right there... I have a feeling they purposely kept the supply low to give more of a demand for them.

My opinion on them may not be accurate either... IDK personally I am not much of a tablet person. This is coming from someone who LOVES gadgets and technology. Personally I would rather spend the money on a nice small/thin ultrabook and have my smartphone for those times I need to quickly get information.

I was just mirroring your "kind of surprised"

Clearly, if you don't want this kind of device, you would not find it compelling. It *is* an ultrabook in performance. Unlike an ultrabook, it can also be used as a tablet. But with a type keyboard, you've got the same power (and are still beating ultrabooks on size/weight)

As far as the supply, I think its less nefarious than the press/blogosphere make out. They may have simply had limited supply due to production issues, but had to release on the long ago announced release date. Two choices - either slip release date, or release with whatever you have. Neither choice is great.
--

Gem
Premium
join:2005-09-10
kudos:4
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to CCat

Link now says "Currently Unavailable"

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
reply to JohnInSJ

said by JohnInSJ:

As far as the supply, I think its less nefarious than the press/blogosphere make out. They may have simply had limited supply due to production issues, but had to release on the long ago announced release date. Two choices - either slip release date, or release with whatever you have. Neither choice is great.

It's not uncommon that a highly anticipated, new product is initially sold out. Just wait a couple of months, and they'll probably be all over the place.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
reply to bgoodbody

MS stores apparently have the most stock. Best Buy and others that carry the Surface Pro presumably must buy the product on their own dime and have less stock,....this might be due to not wanting to invest in large orders for a product they are not sure will move.

I don't know, in any case the 128GB version is like hen's teeth,...

The price difference between the more readily available 64GB version and the 128GB version is scant so if I were buying I would be forced to wait on the 128GB version,...

bgoodbody
Bill G

North Truro, MA

128Gb Still not available (even for back order) at Microsoft Store Online, Staples, BestBuy!
--
- Bill

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5
reply to bgoodbody

Are the same 13 year old children making these that make the iPad?

JohnInSJ
Premium
San Jose, CA

said by signmeuptoo:

Are the same 13 year old children making these that make the iPad?

Nope, different factory in China, only makes Surfaces. Apparently MS built it from the ground up. No idea what the labor force is, but whatever is legal and low cost in China, that would be my guess.
--

bgoodbody
Bill G

North Truro, MA

Microsoft Store Online now accepting orders for shipping by 3/1/2010.

»microsoftstore.com
--
- Bill

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3

Well at this point it might as well be a ultrabook, but their keyboard cover for $120 is a bit much imho unless it has special features I didn't realize. At least you should have no problem using a real keyboard with the usb connection like a docking station for real work as I can't imagine typing a full document on the screen, it's annoying enough to type on a smartphone.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

GreyArea

join:2013-01-07
Anchorage, AK
reply to bgoodbody

A February 15 Surface Blog post said that those ordering through the Microsoft online store in the U.S. can place an order for the 128 GB model and have it ship in two to three weeks.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to bgoodbody

It looks like the Surface Pro has an industry standard mSATA SSD so in theory you can upgrade it to a larger capacity model SSD:

»www.anandtech.com/show/6743/micr···d-inside

It looks like its a bit of a pain to get into the Surface Pro though,......

Then there's that whole thing about buggering the warrenty.

I guess I'm lucky it's easy to upgrade the mSATA SSD in my old ASUS Eee slate EP121 Core i5 based PC tablet. All you have to do basically is pop off the back cover and maybe gently peel down a shielding foil.

JohnInSJ
Premium
San Jose, CA

said by Octavean:

It looks like the Surface Pro has an industry standard mSATA SSD so in theory you can upgrade it to a larger capacity model SSD:

The tear-down is looking like a one-way street on the surface. You'd be better off using 64GB class 10 sd cards for extra disk.
--

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

Indeed which is why I said "in theory",.....

It does seem like manufacturers are making some things more and more difficult to work on or upgrade. Such as entry methods due to glue, memory soldered to the system board and so on.

So naturally its best to wait for the 128GB version of the Surface if that is what you want.

I've been keen on upgrading the 64GB OEM mSATA SSD in my ASUS Eee Slate EP121 Core i5 PC tablet since I bought it and fortunately its an easy nondestructive upgrade. I eventually want to upgrade to an 802.11ac card as well,...

CovMac
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Covington, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to bgoodbody

Surface Pro now available for online orders:

We wanted to provide another update today on availability for Surface Windows 8 Pro.

Starting right now, you can visit the online Microsoft Store (U.S.) and place an order for the 128GB Surface Pro that will ship within 2-3 weeks, based on incoming inventory. Once inventory is depleted, the system will show as “out of stock” until new inventory is available to ship.
»blog.surface.com/b/surface/archi···ons.aspx
--
Mac

bgoodbody
Bill G

North Truro, MA

Placed an order @ Microsoft Store. They charged for the service agreement, but did not ship machine!

They are NOT ready for prime time
--
- Bill

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ

said by bgoodbody:

Placed an order @ Microsoft Store. They charged for the service agreement, but did not ship machine!

Apparently you didn't read Microsoft's blog posting or the posting directly above yours. They're not shipping for 2-3 weeks. Virtually all companies charge (including Apple) for the service plan before the item ships. This is not uncommon at all.

bgoodbody
Bill G

North Truro, MA

Yes, I did. The web site said and still says "On or before 3/1/2013"

No excuse for charging for any of the order until it is all shipped.

Clearly a support agreement is of no us until the item to be supported is shipped!
--
- Bill

Surfacing

@msn.net
reply to Octavean

said by Octavean:

»www.anandtech.com/show/6743/micr···d-inside

It looks like its a bit of a pain to get into the Surface Pro though,......

Then there's that whole thing about buggering the warrenty.

Hehehe, it didn't take long for someone to get in inside look.

Yes, the SSD can be replaced in the Pro, but I would ask the iFixit guys first if they had any success putting it back together. Doing an iTakeItApart is relatively easy, but the opposite is much-much harder. Don't try that at home unless you have an extra grand you can just throw away.

Written on a Surface Pro128.

bgoodbody
Bill G

North Truro, MA
reply to CovMac

Available at Staples Online for Monday Delivery.
»www.staples.com/Surface-Windows-···t_148595
--
- Bill