MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning to InvalidError

to InvalidError

Re: CNOC speed matching decision due next week

said by InvalidError:

said by Perma:

Will this decision determine whether start.ca can offer unlimited bandwidth?

They can already do that if they wanted hard enough but the price point likely would not generate many sales.

I am not expecting the CBB hearings to bring the CBB rates anywhere near as low as people here hope they will go, at least not without revised (increased) per-access rates. I am betting on rates around 8k$/Gbps, which is 50-70% less than current rates but still 4-6X more what some people around here are hoping for.

I suspect $8k/Gbps will be the low end of the possible range. It could be as high as $12k/Gbps.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError

said by HeadSpinning:

I suspect $8k/Gbps will be the low end of the possible range. It could be as high as $12k/Gbps.

8k$/Gbps (Telus' former AHSSPI rate) is near the optimistic end of my range too.

When I tried guesstimating how much incumbents could charge for aggregation if they built an entire new network for that explicit purpose, I came up with figures as high as 35k$/Gbps.
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning

said by InvalidError:

said by HeadSpinning:

8k$/Gbps (Telus' former AHSSPI rate) is near the optimistic end of my range too.

When I tried guesstimating how much incumbents could charge for aggregation if they built an entire new network for that explicit purpose, I came up with figures as high as 35k$/Gbps.

The only reason Bell would have to build a separate aggregation network would be to avoid using an "All Carriers" approach to their cost studies - it is neither technically or economically efficient.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError

said by HeadSpinning:

The only reason Bell would have to build a separate aggregation network would be to avoid using an "All Carriers" approach to their cost studies - it is neither technically or economically efficient.

The CRTC's rate-setting process does not reward technical nor economic efficiency.
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

said by InvalidError:

said by HeadSpinning:

The CRTC's rate-setting process does not reward technical nor economic efficiency.

But they do look for (and find) gaming of the cost studies process.