All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Borad
join:2012-06-08

Borad

Required wiring for Optimum Voice

I'm installing coax and phone jacks for future use and I need to know what would be required for VOIP service like Optimum Voice. For example, would a coaxial cable be needed at every phone jack that a phone is plugged into? Is there a diagram somewhere that shows the required setup?

M A R S
Premium Member
join:2001-06-15
Long Island

M A R S

Premium Member

you just plug the phone line in to your modem then run that to the main phone line junction then off to all the other phone jacks.
frdrizzt
join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt to Borad

to Borad
You'll want RJ-11 & Coax where the modem belongs (unless you have a cordless phone set that only needs one base in the modem), but the rest of the jacks can be wherever.
Borad
join:2012-06-08

Borad

I live in an apartment. I don't know anything about phone line junctions. I know what a phone jack is, and a modem, and a phone. I can even install a new jack. Maybe Cablevision comes to do the junction stuff so I don't have to worry. I'd like to see a diagram of this. I assume Cablevision gives out instructions, but I can't find them anywhere.
Borad

Borad to frdrizzt

to frdrizzt
OK, that sounds simple enough.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4 to Borad

to Borad
Optimum Voice uses standard phone line wiring. The only thing extra you need is a phone jack for the modem to plug in to.
DarienRedSox
join:2013-02-10
Darien, CT

DarienRedSox to Borad

to Borad
Good place to go to learn about phone wiring:
»www.homephonewiring.com/

Also it is best to home run everything back to one place. If you are going through the hassle of fishing cables through the walls you might as well run cat6 as well.
truckie165
join:2005-02-28
Poughkeepsie, NY

truckie165

Simply put, if you have your cable lead for the modem and a wall jack for the phone you're all set.

The most that may be needed is a telephone jack 3-way. The tech will plug a piece of phone wire from the modem to the wall jack to feed through the other phones in the house. If there is a phone in the vicinity of the modem then the 3-way is needed for that phone.