how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

m12345s

join:2010-10-13
Bolivar, MO

Ethernet Jacks vs. Drilling under floor

Hi guys I live in a single story house with a nice large crawl space underneath, the house sits on a concrete slab. I am wanting to run Ethernet cable from the router in the living room to a couple rooms about 40 FT. away, there are no Ethernet plates or jacks in these 2 rooms, so I believe I have 2 options, I could either get all the tools and everything needed to place wall jacks in the rooms, or I could just drill up from the crawl space into the rooms where the computers will sit, I already have a hole in the floor where the satellite installer ran coax cable. The 2nd option sounds the easiest, but I want to make sure I am doing this correctly, the crawl space shouldn't get any moisture and I don't see how any animals could get under there and chew through the cable. What would you guys recommend?

rusdi
American V
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-28
Flippin, AR
kudos:2
Might try something like this »www.tigerdirect.com/applications···odZ0AARg
I've used 'em in three rooms in my house. They pass all the bandwidth I need. I can even stream HD video across 'em with my Slingbox.

m12345s

Bolivar, MO
Yeah, I have looked into those, I know that they have gotten much better over the years. But if I could run the Ethernet cable it would save me a lot of money, and would probably be more dependable, you can't really beat just plain old Ethernet cable, but I would rather use a power line adapter than wireless for sure. Thanks for your advice.

LLigetfa

join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON
kudos:1
From the crawlspace you should be able to drill up through the bottom plate of the wall and mount reno wall boxes for a clean looking install.
--
Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and formal education positively fortifies it. -- Stephen Vizinczey

m12345s

Bolivar, MO
I'm sorry, I am definitely not very smart in this area, but what exactly is a reno wall box? Is that different from a jack? And how hard is that to install? Thank you.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
They are boxes that have small wings with a screw that pulls them against the sheet rock to hold them in place. You can then mount the wall plates to them just as you do a regular stub mounted electrical box.

I would highly recommend that if you can access the crawl space that you drill through the bottom plate of the wall and run CAT5 cable.

m12345s

Bolivar, MO
So you are recommending using the reno boxes, then cutting a hole in the wall big enough for the plate? I know it would look much better and much cleaner doing it like this, I can get to the crawl space very easily, its just a matter of how difficult this is to do, I have never attempted anything like this before. Can you please post a link of these boxes? Thanks.

jimbopalmer
Tsar of all the Rushers

join:2008-06-02
Greenwood, MS
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
»www.amazon.com/Thomas-Betts-B120···-1-fkmr0
is the box, should you need to drill inside the wall, this exists
»www.amazon.com/Greenlee-09-03-54···&sr=1-10
--
I tried to remain child-like, all I achieved was childish.

bbear2
Premium
join:2003-10-06
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to m12345s
If you plan it out carefully, measure twice-cut once. And take your time cutting, you should be fine. Watch out for cross bracing that could block your path to the crawlspace. I always like to drill four pilot holes in the corners first, make sure nothing bad is behind it. You can always put a piece of bent wire in those pilot holes to feel around as well if it's not near another electrical box.

edit:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=egHkOIr4RNE
and

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcQy6XOKKuk
there are lots of videos on the topic. If you want one on the actually cutting of the hole you might have to search further.

m12345s

Bolivar, MO
reply to m12345s
So I would have Ethernet cable between the jacks with female connectors inside the walls? Thanks for the help, sorry I have zero experience with any of this, we had an electrician do all the wiring, but at the time we weren't thinking we would need jacks in those rooms.

bbear2
Premium
join:2003-10-06
I think you'll find this guide very helpful. »www.pcworld.com/article/205913/w···net.html

You can also search on: how to run ethernet cables from room to room and find some more on your own plus specific videos. Be sure to get the wiring pattern correct. It's not hard but you do have to pay attention.

m12345s

Bolivar, MO
Looks very helpful, my problem is going to be locating where the walls are from the crawlspace, I have a stereo system and ran wire from behind my couch in the living room to the entertainment system once, I made some very tiny holes just big enough for the small cable, I thought I was coming up in the right spot in the floor right next to the wall but I ended up going up into the wall. If this for some reason doesn't work out, I know those powerline adapters are expensive, but I have read up on a lot of reviews on the newer ones, and people have said that they didn't see much of a difference between powerline and Ethernet, the newer ones offer speeds up to a gigabit. Do you guys think Ethernet still has a huge advantage over powerline (besides cost obviously). Sorry, this should be my last question lol.

jimbopalmer
Tsar of all the Rushers

Greenwood, MS
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
said by m12345s:

my problem is going to be locating where the walls are from the crawlspace

That is why I linked you the long flexible drill bit, so you can drill down from inside the wall even though your drill is outside the wall. That is way less messy than drilling up and being wrong.
--

m12345s

Bolivar, MO
Went back and looked at your post, sorry I didn't catch that earlier, that's great, I didn't know those existed, thanks for the link. That will help me out a ton.

jimbopalmer
Tsar of all the Rushers

Greenwood, MS
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
said by m12345s:

Went back and looked at your post, sorry I didn't catch that earlier, that's great, I didn't know those existed, thanks for the link. That will help me out a ton.

I can't think of any other use for those, but I use them a lot in old construction.
--

LLigetfa

Fort Frances, ON
reply to m12345s
Wall locations can often be determined by the nails driven down through the bottom plate and also by wire penetrations. Drilling down though the opening cut in the drywall for the reno box works well too but there's a chance you'll hit one of the nails.
--
Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and formal education positively fortifies it. -- Stephen Vizinczey

nocannothave

join:2006-10-14
Kennewick, WA
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to m12345s
You should be able to find a low voltage electrician to do the work for you. I had a thirty foot run installed for right at $100, including cable and plates. Well worth the money as far as I was concerned. I asked him to take pictures of the install and he did. I could see he didn't just let the cable hang from the floor joists. It was properly attached to each one.

Hank
Premium
Burlington, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

2 edits
reply to jimbopalmer
said by jimbopalmer:

said by m12345s:

I can't think of any other use for those, but I use them a lot in old construction.

jimboplamer - Maybe I am missing something as the link appears to be for just the bit. If you scroll down a bit further it appears you have to purchase the flexible shaft adapter separately?

It is good information to have, thanks for positing it.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada

1 recommendation

reply to m12345s
If it's just for Ethernet, you don't need a box - a low-voltage ring works fine...

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvWJkAARAQ4

Can get them at Loews Depot for about 3-4 bucks for a 2-pack.

If you cut into the drywall 12" from the floor, an 18" 'installers' bit, and possibly a 12" exention - can get down through the hole, and drill the foot-plate and subfloor... 3/8" drill is good for 1-2 Cat5e's - 1/2" is good for 1-2 co-ax and 1-2 cat5e's or cat6.

Personally, I think the extra work (and it's not much - takes about 15 mins) to run the cable through the wall, makes for a much neater install...

m12345s

Bolivar, MO
Thanks for that, I'm definitely going to have to drill from the top down. One question I have is that I plan on having the modem and router in the living room on top of the entertainment center at the phone jack, I have heard it is better to have the modem at the jack closest to the NID, does it really make much a difference where I place the modem? Thanks.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to m12345s
If the phone wiring is in decent shape, it doesn't really matter... After 3/4 of a mile, an extra 20' won't matter much.

If the wiring is iffy or in poor shape, getting as close to the demarc/NID as you can it a good idea; or better yet, since you're running cable anyways, run a new line straight from the NID to where you want the modem...

LLigetfa

Fort Frances, ON
reply to LazMan
said by LazMan:

If it's just for Ethernet, you don't need a box - a low-voltage ring works fine...

Those rings are fine if you don't have air infiltration issues. Reno boxes are easier to seal around.
--

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
reply to m12345s
Okay, nice thread very useful.

My two cents that I dont think were yet noted.

Its a crawl space, ASSUME, rodents will get in there.
Thus I would absolutely put the wires in some PVC conduit and protect the wires right up snug against the wood and siicone any air gaps at both ends.

Second, I would go with a minimum of Cat5e, not Cat5.
Great project, you shoud do it. But plan for future installs at the same time. Are there are other rooms that may need jacks^^^
--
Ain't nuthin but the blues! "Albert Collins".
Leave your troubles at the door! "Pepe Peregil" De Sevilla. Just Don't Wifi without WPA, "Yul Brenner"

LlamaWorks Equipment

Hank
Premium
Burlington, WV
Excellent comments Anav. Thanks for pointing it out, i just get so used to referring to CAT5e as CAT5 I didn't give it a second thought.

m12345s

Bolivar, MO
reply to Anav
Good points, I actually already have some CAT6 cable, so I should be good to go there, the crawlspace is sealed pretty tight, but I know mice could potentially get in there, they can squeeze into any tiny opening, but we do have about 10 cats outside, so I haven't seen a mouse in years around here. Internet is supposed to be activated tommorow, after that I will gather all my supplies and materials needed and maybe work on it this weekend. Thanks for all the useful advice on here.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
Well if nothing else will keep ants and spiders and the like off the wires.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to m12345s
said by m12345s:

So you are recommending using the reno boxes, then cutting a hole in the wall big enough for the plate? I know it would look much better and much cleaner doing it like this, I can get to the crawl space very easily, its just a matter of how difficult this is to do, I have never attempted anything like this before. Can you please post a link of these boxes? Thanks.

I'd suggest "mud rings" instead of boxes for Ethernet and coax work. That is what Home Depot calls them; same as "reno" (from "renovation") boxes, but without the box.

»www.homedepot.com/Electrical/h_d···Elqk31-4

Also see:

»www.hometech.com/hts/products/wi···voltage/
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

m12345s

Bolivar, MO
Those look great, internet was activated yesterday (a day early) and it is working great so far. There is a RadioShack here in town, do you think they would have some of the things I need? The closest Lowes or Home Depot is a good 45 minutes to an hour away.

m12345s

Bolivar, MO
reply to m12345s
Hey guys, just trying to think of all the materials Im going to be needing, I was wondering since I already have about a 30 FT cat6 cable that already has the ends on it, could I run that cable in between the 2 jacks? Then just use short patch cable from the wall jacks to the computer? Thanks

shdesigns