uniqs
share rss forum feed

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to m12345s

Re: Ethernet Jacks vs. Drilling under floor

If the phone wiring is in decent shape, it doesn't really matter... After 3/4 of a mile, an extra 20' won't matter much.

If the wiring is iffy or in poor shape, getting as close to the demarc/NID as you can it a good idea; or better yet, since you're running cable anyways, run a new line straight from the NID to where you want the modem...

LLigetfa

join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON
kudos:1
reply to LazMan

said by LazMan:

If it's just for Ethernet, you don't need a box - a low-voltage ring works fine...

Those rings are fine if you don't have air infiltration issues. Reno boxes are easier to seal around.
--
Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and formal education positively fortifies it. -- Stephen Vizinczey

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:4
reply to m12345s

Okay, nice thread very useful.

My two cents that I dont think were yet noted.

Its a crawl space, ASSUME, rodents will get in there.
Thus I would absolutely put the wires in some PVC conduit and protect the wires right up snug against the wood and siicone any air gaps at both ends.

Second, I would go with a minimum of Cat5e, not Cat5.
Great project, you shoud do it. But plan for future installs at the same time. Are there are other rooms that may need jacks^^^
--
Ain't nuthin but the blues! "Albert Collins".
Leave your troubles at the door! "Pepe Peregil" De Sevilla. Just Don't Wifi without WPA, "Yul Brenner"

LlamaWorks Equipment

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
kudos:2

Excellent comments Anav. Thanks for pointing it out, i just get so used to referring to CAT5e as CAT5 I didn't give it a second thought.

m12345s

join:2010-10-13
Bolivar, MO
reply to Anav

Good points, I actually already have some CAT6 cable, so I should be good to go there, the crawlspace is sealed pretty tight, but I know mice could potentially get in there, they can squeeze into any tiny opening, but we do have about 10 cats outside, so I haven't seen a mouse in years around here. Internet is supposed to be activated tommorow, after that I will gather all my supplies and materials needed and maybe work on it this weekend. Thanks for all the useful advice on here.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:4

Well if nothing else will keep ants and spiders and the like off the wires.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to m12345s

said by m12345s:

So you are recommending using the reno boxes, then cutting a hole in the wall big enough for the plate? I know it would look much better and much cleaner doing it like this, I can get to the crawl space very easily, its just a matter of how difficult this is to do, I have never attempted anything like this before. Can you please post a link of these boxes? Thanks.

I'd suggest "mud rings" instead of boxes for Ethernet and coax work. That is what Home Depot calls them; same as "reno" (from "renovation") boxes, but without the box.

»www.homedepot.com/Electrical/h_d···Elqk31-4

Also see:

»www.hometech.com/hts/products/wi···voltage/
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

m12345s

Bolivar, MO

Those look great, internet was activated yesterday (a day early) and it is working great so far. There is a RadioShack here in town, do you think they would have some of the things I need? The closest Lowes or Home Depot is a good 45 minutes to an hour away.

m12345s

Bolivar, MO
reply to m12345s

Hey guys, just trying to think of all the materials Im going to be needing, I was wondering since I already have about a 30 FT cat6 cable that already has the ends on it, could I run that cable in between the 2 jacks? Then just use short patch cable from the wall jacks to the computer? Thanks

shdesigns