george357
Premium
join:2009-09-18
Weaverville, NC
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Charter

New to Android and have questions?

I got a Samsung Proclaim on the Straight Talk network and love it, at first I didn't think too much about tinkering with it but that has changed. My phone has 2.3.6 Gingerbread (I think) and I have rooted it recently. The phone has 419mb of Ram showing as a total, and 1GB of internal storage. I have a 32GB Class 10 SD card installed. I am using Superuser for root access and DroidSail for app management. I am using ES File Explorer as well. I have removed the stock picture gallery, camera and music player replacing them with QuickPic, CameraMX and XPlay.

I prefer free apps wherever possible.

My first question is about Xplay, I want to tell it which folder to look for music in as I do not want my notification/ringtones indexed with my music, any ideas on how to accomplish this with Xplay or suggestions for a better app?

Is it possible to upgrade to ICS or Jellybean on this phone having only root access?

What would be a good app for reading and altering system files (like using notepad to edit html files on a PC)?

Is there any point in using battery apps to extend battery life (I have not gotten much success with the various task killers I have tried so far)?

Those are my four primary questions so far, there are likely more I jsut can't think of right now but will post later.

Android Rocks!
--
malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium

Cancer Cures Are Just A Crunch Away

PeeWee
Premium
join:2001-10-21
Madera, CA

1 recommendation

»androidarea51.com/samsung-galaxy···aim-148/

Above seems to be the only rom activity I see for that device and they're not there yet.
--
Iphone. Helping computer illiteracy become popular since 2007

george357
Premium
Weaverville, NC

I am assuming that you are referring to my question about upgrading the OS. I take it the ROM is whats required for that operation. Thank you PeeWee.

PeeWee
Premium
Madera, CA

1 recommendation

File explorer root is available here »play.google.com/store/apps/detai···gucnIiXQ.. Battery apps other than Juice defender are a waste of time, I recommend no battery app myself. Task killers ruin the very fine way android handles ram.
Yes rom is what you could call the OS for android.
--

PeeWee
Premium
Madera, CA

1 recommendation

reply to george357

You really should start here.
»www.androidpolice.com/2010/05/01···nt-them/
--

george357
Premium
Weaverville, NC

Thanks for the link and info! I have come to the same conclusion concerning task killers. I will give that Juice defender a shot and see what happens. You have any input on the music question?

PeeWee
Premium
Madera, CA

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to george357

I rely heavily on my phone for work use and don't use any music apps. Sorry. Some of the people I know think Apollo is good.
»play.google.com/store/apps/detai···hlbWUiXQ..
--

george357
Premium
Weaverville, NC
Reviews:
·Charter

I really appreciate all the help PeeWee!

Anyone else have anything to add, especially concerning a highly configurable music player or any other tips/tricks for an Android noob?

--
malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium

Cancer Cures Are Just A Crunch Away

join:2013-01-22
USA
reply to george357

If you want a particular folder or directory to not be indexed by music and gallery apps, create a new blank file in that directory and name the file ".nomedia" without the quotes. Note, that the filename itself looks blank and it looks like the "nomedia" is a file extension because of the preceding period.

george357
Premium
Weaverville, NC

Thanks for the tip, LED! I'll put that into use.