how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bbhog

join:2010-07-05
North York, ON

[Cable] Unlimited Bandwidth from 2am - 8am

Once TSI Cable (Rogers area) goes ATPIA will TSI offer unlimited bandwidth from 2am - 8am? I hope so!

Optional

join:2012-02-26
Mississauga, ON
They already do offer that... with dsl.

Cable has never had that deal from any provider, that I'm aware of...

bbhog

North York, ON
reply to bbhog
Yes, after the first UBB decision that resulted in prices going up on both the Bell (DSL) and Rogers (Cable) packages. One thing that TSI did for Bell packages was to add the 2am-8am free bandwidth thing.

I remember the reasoning was that there is proper tracking on Bell's DSL network to allow for this free time period.

Rogers system under the non-Aggregated system does not allow for proper tracking even on a monthly scale, never mind on the hourly scale.

So I guess there are two questions:
1) Will the new ATPIA Rogers architecture allow for a 2am-8am free period?
2) If so then will TSI implement it?

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
I think the decision to implement it or not will be directly related to how the CRTC rules on the issue of CBB.

rocca from start elaborated a bit on it in the thread about Start's cable offerings that they can offer unlimited 2am-8am but the current CBB rates are so high that if they were to implement it, the cap for all other times outside would need be lowered. Instead they implemented a higher data cap that is in affect at all times the takes into consideration peak and off peak usage.

bbhog

North York, ON
Start is only able to offer 250GB on the 35/3 package. That is not good! The difference with TSI is their user base is much bigger so it affords them much more total bandwidth to play with.

But I realize now it's too early to talk about this until the CBB decision is out.

d4m1r

join:2011-08-25
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
said by bbhog:

The difference with TSI is their user base is much bigger so it affords them much more total bandwidth to play with.

Has nothing to do with it, TSI is non-aggreg which means they pay lower capacity costs and that is why TSI choose their current path way back when if you ask me....

This also answers my question of how TSI can offer unlimited packages on the Rogers network...While it is technically still risky for them, they are on the hook for a lost less than an aggreg provider like Start would be....
--
www.613websites.com Budget Canadian Web Design and Hosting

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
reply to bbhog
said by bbhog:

Once TSI Cable (Rogers area) goes ATPIA will TSI offer unlimited bandwidth from 2am - 8am? I hope so!

TSI can do that on DSL because they can track usage by PPPoE session so they know which session/usage belongs to which account.

On cable, be it with Shaw, Rogers, Cogeco or Videotron, IP addresses are managed by the cableco so TSI has no way of knowing what usage belongs to which subscriber on a reliable and timely basis.

bbhog

North York, ON
said by InvalidError:

said by bbhog:

TSI can do that on DSL because they can track usage by PPPoE session so they know which session/usage belongs to which account.

On cable, be it with Shaw, Rogers, Cogeco or Videotron, IP addresses are managed by the cableco so TSI has no way of knowing what usage belongs to which subscriber on a reliable and timely basis.

Well that puts this question to bed!
Thanks for the clarification.