spc
uniqs
m12345s
join:2010-10-13
Bolivar, MO

m12345s to Hank

to Hank

Re: Ethernet Jacks vs. Drilling under floor

So you are recommending using the reno boxes, then cutting a hole in the wall big enough for the plate? I know it would look much better and much cleaner doing it like this, I can get to the crawl space very easily, its just a matter of how difficult this is to do, I have never attempted anything like this before. Can you please post a link of these boxes? Thanks.
jimbopalmer
Tsar of all the Rushers
join:2008-06-02
Greenwood, MS

jimbopalmer

»www.amazon.com/Thomas-Be ··· -1-fkmr0
is the box, should you need to drill inside the wall, this exists
»www.amazon.com/Greenlee- ··· &sr=1-10
bbear2
Premium Member
join:2003-10-06
dot.earth

1 recommendation

bbear2 to m12345s

Premium Member

to m12345s
If you plan it out carefully, measure twice-cut once. And take your time cutting, you should be fine. Watch out for cross bracing that could block your path to the crawlspace. I always like to drill four pilot holes in the corners first, make sure nothing bad is behind it. You can always put a piece of bent wire in those pilot holes to feel around as well if it's not near another electrical box.

edit:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· kOIr4RNE
and

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· y6XOKKuk
there are lots of videos on the topic. If you want one on the actually cutting of the hole you might have to search further.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to m12345s

MVM

to m12345s
said by m12345s:

So you are recommending using the reno boxes, then cutting a hole in the wall big enough for the plate? I know it would look much better and much cleaner doing it like this, I can get to the crawl space very easily, its just a matter of how difficult this is to do, I have never attempted anything like this before. Can you please post a link of these boxes? Thanks.

I'd suggest "mud rings" instead of boxes for Ethernet and coax work. That is what Home Depot calls them; same as "reno" (from "renovation") boxes, but without the box.

»www.homedepot.com/Electr ··· Elqk31-4

Also see:

»www.hometech.com/hts/pro ··· voltage/
m12345s
join:2010-10-13
Bolivar, MO

m12345s

Those look great, internet was activated yesterday (a day early) and it is working great so far. There is a RadioShack here in town, do you think they would have some of the things I need? The closest Lowes or Home Depot is a good 45 minutes to an hour away.