uniqs
share rss forum feed

Rob37

@sbcglobal.net

HELP! 2.4ghz gets slow speed

Service - UVERSE 18mbps
Modem - 2wire 3801HGV
Router - ASUS RT-AC66R

I need help fixing my speed on my 2.4ghz network. I am getting horrible speeds 1-5mbps.
My 5ghz network is great. Speeds are 17mbps.

I have tried every channel on the 2.4ghz network and nothing is helping. This signal is fine but the speeds drop when i get 30 feet or more from the router.

Any advise?

nephipower

join:2012-02-20
San Antonio, TX

Have you turned off wifi on the RG?

Rob37

@sbcglobal.net

Yes. Wifi is off on the RG.

My neighbors have routers that i pick up and most are on channel 6. So i put mine to channel 1 and nothing helps. Once i get off the 5ghz and switch to 2.4ghz my speeds drop to 1-5mbps. My signal strength is great just my speeds.

rob37

join:2013-02-10
reply to nephipower

yes the wifi is off on the RG.

I get great speeds on the 5ghz network but once i am about 30 feet away i drop to the 2.4ghz network and my speeds plummet.

I go from 17mbps to 1-5mbps.

I switched my channel from 6 to 11 and 1 but nothing worked. Still get horrible speeds on the 2.4.

StillLearn
Premium
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL
reply to Rob37

You can turn on the WiFi for the 3801HGV and see how that performs. If you get better performance, it would seem to imply a problem with your ASUS RT-AC66R.

rob37

I already did. Same speeds on the 3801HGV. Even if i am 2 feet from it. 1-5mbps

The only way i get good speed is either wired or wireless 5ghz.

Should i call uverse? Although i don't think it is an issue with them.

StillLearn
Premium
Streamwood, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest

I agree that the symptoms say it is not a U-verse problem. The 1-Mbit tests are strange. If you were consistent at 4 or 5 Mbit on 2.4 GHz up close, I would wonder if you had set your adapter in your computer to B-only. I would try your computer at a friend's house. Ask your friend to try computer at your house. See if the symptom follows the computer.

Are you in a WiFi-dense area like an apartment building? You might want to try something like VIStumbler to see what kind of signals are competing for bandwidth. If the performance is worse in prime time, that would point toward competition for WiFi spectrum.

Mangix

join:2012-02-16
united state
reply to Rob37

Tip: Get some distance. If you're a few feet away from the router, you could be overloading the device's receiver.

Note: 2.4GHz sucks. Interference is possible from many fronts including phones, bluetooth, mircowaves, USB3 cables even.

nephipower

join:2012-02-20
San Antonio, TX
reply to Rob37

If you are having the same exact problems with the 2.4 Ghz from both your router and the RG i actually suspect it is a problem with the wifi on the device he is testing with.

Are you sure that 2.4 Ghz works just fine on your test device?

Do you have the latest drivers on that device? If so, have you tried some older drivers?

I have had the newest drivers before sometimes cause problems for devices.

rob37

i have tried 2 different computers and tablets and my iphone.

Nothing is working. It has to be interference. That is why i changed channels thinking that might work. 1, 6, and 11 all the same 1-5mbps.

The second i connect to the 5ghz network i am back to 17mbps.

Could it be the uverse wireless boxes? Should i move my router into a different room then the Uverse wireless box transmitter?

This is driving me mad.

rob37

I even tried a different router thinking that it might just be the routher. Got a Linksys E2500 and had the same problem on the 2.4ghz network. Once again the 5ghz was good.

I am not running anything new in my house over the past few weeks. Maybe a neighbor?

StillLearn
Premium
Streamwood, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest

Repositioning may help. If the neighbor is making microwave popcorn that could interfere, but only temporarily.

»www.vistumbler.net/ is useful for seeing co-channel use. Also note that your 802.11n uses more than one channel at a time.

rob37

It is a constant speed of 1-5mbps on the 2.4ghz. I have no idea what to do. I am going to move it to another room and see if that clears everything up.

I am at a loss.

StillLearn
Premium
Streamwood, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest

said by rob37:

It is a constant speed of 1-5mbps on the 2.4ghz.

I don't know how to interpret that statement. I had thought 1-5mbps meant that some up-close tests showed 1 Mbit down, others showed 5 Mbit down, and others were in between. The word "constant" is not compatible with that interpretation.

rob37

What I meant was that I get between 1-5mbps. Nothing above.

I'm going to try and move the router into a different room and see what happens.

rob37

Uverse is coming to take a look and maybe move it for me for free.

outz
Premium
join:2002-11-16
Simpsonville, SC
reply to Rob37

back when i lived in an apartment i had to go with 5ghz for that very problem. a lot of devices aside from ap's use 2.4

rob37

I think that is the issue. I am picking up about 10-14 networks.

The 5ghz network wont reach my whole house. Any ideas? Is there a really good 5ghz router?

Forosnai

join:2011-09-30
kudos:2
reply to Rob37

Sounds like you have a lot of interference on the 2.4Ghz band. You've already got a hoss of a router with that ac66r, and the 5Ghz band covers less area than the 2.4Ghz band at the same power output. Amped wireless makes a consumer grade dual band router that puts out 250 more mW than the ac66r, but you'd lose the future proof AC standard.
Best bet IMO would be to wire in a 2nd 5Ghz access point into the mix to just saturate the living space with the stuff you know that works well.

UVTechSppt

@centurytel.net
reply to rob37

There's only 3 ways to get it moved free...
1. You are within 30 days of your installation date
2. It's in an unreachable location - like nailed up high on the ceiling
3. Non climate controlled area

if it's moved for any other reason you'll be charged $149
Good luck

brookeKrige

join:2012-11-05
San Jose, CA
kudos:3
reply to Rob37

1st put WAP@2nd room (no WAN) use stumbler to verify less noise

Assume you test ensuring: just one client exists using the network, using WPA2-AES with strong passphrase, with 2.4GHz SSID unique from the 5GHz SSID. Also unplug your frig, cordless phones, etc. to check for effect too.

Better *Stumbler's will graph both signal strength AND noise level, and also WITHOUT connecting/authenticating to those networks. Do you then observe actual high noise level on all 2.4GHz channels (versus at a friend's house or public hotspot)?

Does it vary with time of day? Do your neighbors report similar issues? Can you arrange with them, to let you graph noise level from your laptop/stumbler within/around/near their premises?

Before/without paying to move a connection to another of your rooms: If you have extra 2.4GHz WAP to try in another room, you should be able to partially set it up there (WAN left Unconnected). So the radio is ON enough for your laptop/stumbler to graph the signal strength AND noise level for comparison before paying anything.

i.e. other room WAP/SSID won't be functional yet for speed-test or internet access, but radio will be on, and functional for stumbler measurement of signal strength AND noise level. (Or so I believe, can't say I've done this myself).