spc
Search similar:

uniqs
18286719 (banned)
join:2013-02-02
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned)

I just got Broadband 50

just switched over from Telus to Shaw today. Though i am keeping my Telus line for another month or two in case i am to have issues with Shaw. Right now, my internet is working great, but getting it setup was ridiculous. I was told a tech would be here from 2-4 for the install today, I am very tech savvy but no nothing of cable connections or of the cable lines in my house (i didn't even know that we had any coax lines except for satellite and i thought it was separate/wasn't sure),

I had called Shaw and asked if i could have a jack installed and they said yes i could have just 1 installed. when the tech got here it was 1:55, for the first bit he was searching my house for wall outlet coax lines of which he found none and then he said it was stupid that we didn't know where they were. How was it my fault, so i decided to tell him to look at the satellite lines, which ended up working (i showed him the satellite coax line in the beginning and he didn't wanna have anything to do with it he wanted to find a wall jack coax line) so he ends up doing something to the satellite splitter box thingy (which was the first thing i showed him when he got in)and ended up routing a line from that using a satellite line we don't use anymore, it was simply a cable from the satellite receiver sending a duplicate signal of satellite up to my room, so we cut it off and used it for the Shaw, i didn't like this to much, but i had to do it.

Once he plugged in the modem, he asked me to test my internet. So i tried it wired to my laptop, wouldn't go, tried flushing dns restarting adapters all that jazz and it would not go( i did this, the tech claimed to know nothing about computers he said he just hooks it up and hes not aloud to touch my laptop). I asked him to try restarting the router, he unplugged it for like 2 seconds and plugged it back in, i just kinda laughed in my head and didn't even try to correct him (even tho i know for a IP flush and a proper power cycle u need to turn it off for about 30 second), then we tried hooking up another macbook, it didnt work for the first 10 minutes, then it randomly did, but else in my house could connect.

i should also say during the install of the modem he called someone saying he would be late (probably half caused by his almost late arrival to my house), so i could tell he was in a rush, but as soon as that mac got internet access, he didn't care if any single device had access even tho i did, he basically said ,its hooked up and working, it sais on our line it working, that's my job,he left my to spend about 2 hours alone figuring out how to get my other devices connected, turns out the Shaw model is refusing to connect any more then 1 device. if i restart it and connect my laptop first it works, same with the macbook, same with my xbox, but if i connect multiple it doesn't work, however, if i hook my D ling router up to the 1 port on the Shaw modem, and hook everything up to that like i have now, it works.

on my old telus router connected to my d link i could access both devices through each one, example i was plugged into the dlink i could change the settings on that or my telus modem, simply but entering different ip's, because the d-link and shaw modem have same ip, they are both 192.168.0.1, i can not access the shaw router settings.

so basically if your gonna send a tech, they should be network AND computer savvy, not just 1 of the 2, that tech was a little embarrassing for Shaws rep if you ask me, but i guess he was just trained to hook it up after all, though i have never had any problems with a telus tech and this guy was grumpy from the minute he walked in my door, and when i said i wasnt happy he was just leaving so quick since i had nothing hooked up, he threatened to take the modem and leave, at first i was extremely anoyed but now that i got everything working i am happy, just felt the story must be told

jtl999
join:2012-11-24
canada
(Software) pfSense
MikroTik CRS125-24G-1S-RM
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR

jtl999

Sorry for your unfortunate install experience. Mine was better. Then again we were not switching and was just getting new services (including BB50) Why did you switch from Telus to Shaw because Telus is going to be using new technology such as bonding?

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds to 18286719

Premium Member

to 18286719
I've definately had more issues with Telus install techs then Shaw's (Telus tech told me to wait 3-4 days, and then try the internet again), regardless, there are a few things to check first.

You are familiar (or semi-familiar) with networks and IPs, so that is good...

Right now, power cycle the Shaw modem, did you get the Cisco? Or the SMC one?

When you use a wired connection to your modem, do you get a 192.168. address?
18286719 (banned)
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned)

i got the sysco modem, i cant imagine what power cycling would do considering i did it 10 times with different devices it refused to provide internet to any more then 1 jack at the same time

jtl999
canada

jtl999

cisco*
18286719 (banned)
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned) to jtl999

to jtl999
i wanted to stay with telus but they have been telling me that they will be upgrading in my area soon for the past 2+ years, they have no confirmed date and loop bonding is only in testing in prince george, its also a multi million dollar project to upgrade my area, probably be waiting 2-3 years for the telus upgrades, but when they do come, it will be nice and i will probably be testing telus out when the loop bonding is implemented, should be good, but there slow

jtl999
canada

jtl999

Understandable. Same reason here.
jtl999

jtl999 to 18286719

to 18286719
Strangely I can get high speeds without bonding if I move down the street.
18286719 (banned)
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned)

ya there is 2 areas in my town that have telus ftth, to bad moving to a place of your choice in this town is not an option due to whistler being pricy as fuck

jtl999
canada

jtl999

I'm not in Meritt. Just outside of Vancouver.

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds to 18286719

Premium Member

to 18286719
Because if it is bridged (modem only) it may only be set for 1 IP, so only one device will get an IP address from it.

Power cycling the modem will release the 'count' and allow another device to get an IP.

So, power cycling it before trying to get an IP, incase it is bridged, so we can pull an IP.

If you are getting a Shaw public IP, your modem is bridged, you can either contact Shaw to have your modem put back into router mode, or you can hook your own router up to it.

If you get a 192.168.0.x IP address, your modem is not bridged, and may need to be reset (reset pin for 30 seconds or so), the firmware update may have confused a few of the settings, so it needs to be reset.
ilianame
join:2002-06-05
Burnaby, BC

ilianame

You know, I can say the same about my install. Fortunately I take care of my own networks. But the technician set up 480p on the HD box to my 1080p TV, and I've ended up Googling the super obscure settings for the HD box.

Not a "huge" issue.

Just a comment on service expectations - wine and dine never happened