Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Optional

join:2012-02-26
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

Copyright trolls - All from B movie makers?

Now distributel is under attack by another, and I wouldn't touch anything on their movie list with a 10 foot poll. Hurt Locker is voltages only decent film, everything else is lol.

What gives?

Do the big guys just not want the negative PR at attacking file sharers or something?

MrMazda86

join:2013-01-29
Kitchener, ON

I think it has more to do with the smaller companies wanting to get more money out of their movies than they currently are. This wouldn't surprise me considering that the lower budget productions are often the lowest revenue generating, and therefore the least profitable.

Just a hunch from years of having worked in the film industry.

Crowbar1

join:2009-06-23
Toronto , ON

I concur with your 'hunch'

kabes

join:2010-05-14
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Optional

Extortion is profitable for them and they aren't concerned about their public image really. At one point someone in their company ran the numbers and determined sending threatening letters demanding a few thousand dollars from random people would be a good revenue generator. The money is a lot to most people, but they will often just pay it or put it on their credit card so the problem will just go away. They've never been in any legal trouble in their life so they get scared and pay.

Large studios tend to go after the sources and sites, and not the people downloading.

Goldielover

join:2008-02-29
Toronto, ON
reply to Optional

Well, there's another one to add to my list. I will not give a dollar to companies that follow this business model, and make a point of never going to see any of their movies in the theatre. Not that there's any on their filmography that I am interested in anyways.

JMJimmy

join:2008-07-23
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to kabes

said by kabes:

Extortion is profitable for them and they aren't concerned about their public image really.

That's the big thing - these companies can continue like this until they get a bad name in the industry, shut down, open under a new name and repeat.

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5
reply to Optional

It won't be profitable if the court doesn't allow these first cases to proceed to discovery. So hopefully, the TekSavvy case will be rejected.

MrMazda86

join:2013-01-29
Kitchener, ON

I agree. If a precedent gets set to prevent these phishing expeditions from being allowed, things will definitely take a much different tune compared to how they have been.

Jaxom

join:2012-03-10
East York, ON
reply to Optional

Interesting ruling about IP addresses:

A “SNAPSHOT OBSERVATION” OF AN IP ADDRESS ENGAGED IN DOWNLOADING AT THAT MOMENT IS INSUFFICIENT PROOF OF COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT
»www.techdirt.com/articles/201302···=twitter
Expand your moderator at work