Start, anything can be done?

Thanks

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23
I'd suggest starting with a ticket. Cable isn't a dedicated connection though and the higher the top speeds the greater chance of variability especially during peak times. ie cable = super fast almost all the time but more variable during peak times vs dsl which is generally slower all the time but more consistently so.

DrugTito

join:2013-01-17
canada
Yea i understand that completely, but, for some reason it was never low as this.

I am just downloading some iso's for my work, and everything is extremely slow.

How can i open a ticket? or... should i e-mail support@ and you guys will look into this?

I already tried modem factory reset to get onto different channels, but, doesn't help much.

Thanks

Guru

join:2008-10-01
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
DrugTito,

When you download something regardless of the time of the day, are you able to sustain steady speeds? Are you red or blue? What speed profile are you on?

I am curious to know....

Note: Not the speedtest results, real time download speeds..

DrugTito

canada
said by Guru:

DrugTito,

When you download something regardless of the time of the day, are you able to sustain steady speeds? Are you red or blue? What speed profile are you on?

I am curious to know....

Note: Not the speedtest results, real time download speeds..

Yep, only at night times i am having slower download speeds, so, i would say local noge congestion. Mornings, during the day i am able to reach full 45mbit download.

I am in Rogers area on 45/4 mbit plan.

Thanks

Guru

Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
Ahh ok, thanks for your reply.

My problem is little bit strange,

My speedtests gives me full speeds 99.7% of the time.

When I try to download anything from anywhere regardless of the time, my connection doesn't sustain anywhere near to 30 Mb/s. I am on 30/2, blue area.

DrugTito

canada
That happens to me to as well, not right now (since everything is slower anyway), but, exactly the same .. speedtest showing full download speeds, when downloading something (only at night) i am not able to pull more then 5-20mbit from the same servers i was getting full speeds during the day.

Weird.

I already said once that i am slowly getting tired of Cable service.

Having 20, 30, 40+ mbit service is nice, no doubt, but, mostly i use internet at night, so, i don't care how much available bandwidth i have in the morning when i am at work, night usage is important for me, but, more and more i end up having issues like this.

Now i have to wait much longer for downloads to finish so i can burn ISO's for my work

Guru

Yup, exactly same thing I am trying to tell Rocca but he doesn't seem to understand on what I am trying to say.....

Are we being throttled? **

DrugTito

canada
I don't think that we are being throttled, but, i think that there is some other congestion too, withing the start's network (or uplinks) they use ...

Guru

Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
said by DrugTito:

I don't think that we are being throttled, but, i think that there is some other congestion too, withing the start's network (or uplinks) they use ...

Could be? I mean I have been noticing this from the start of START....but never paid any attention to it...

Rocca, is there any congestion within Start's Network that we, customers are not aware of it? You got two us having same issue or almost shall we say?...

We understand and are aware that Cable is not a dedicated line, etc... but how is it that I can't even hit full or half of my connection ???

DrugTito

canada
I was talking about this not once, but few times already.

I never received any answer\suggestion about this.

Hopefully now, with more people complaining about this, this will get more attention.

Guru

Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
said by DrugTito:

I was talking about this not once, but few times already.

I never received any answer\suggestion about this.

Hopefully now, with more people complaining about this, this will get more attention.

+1

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
Guru, you've reported a very different thing specifically that you start Linux downloads any time of day and they start fast and slow down to around half max. Drugtito says full sustained speeds except at peak times. Different areas, different networks and different symptoms. I've asked you to do a specific test but you ignored it.

Guru

Woaah. I never ignored anything.

Linux distro was just an example test I did and showed it to you!!

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to DrugTito
DrugTito, yes you could email support to start a ticket but you'll probably need to call in while it's happening for us to be able to help.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to Guru
I asked you to download two (or more) from different sites at the same time to see if the combined speed sustains max off peak. Direct to modem, no router.

Guru

Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
said by rocca:

I asked you to download two (or more) from different sites at the same time to see if the combined speed sustains max off peak. Direct to modem, no router.

Had done it, same thing. You had asked couple days ago and I had replied that tried and tested, same thing.....

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
Please pm me less vague details. Thanks. Calling it a night.

Guru

Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
said by rocca:

Please pm me less vague details. Thanks. Calling it a night.

I took this directly from IM, had replied to you:
"1w4d : 2013-01-30 09:57:01 : To rocca

Tried without router and it's same thing. I tried with multiple threads but I will try again to test. Thanks! "

I will still do more tests and will PM you the VAGUE details

Sorry to hijack your thread DrugTito!!

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
I need specific details please, not just "I tested it and it doesn't work" -- thanks.

DrugTito

canada
@ 6 PM.

Lets see how it is gonna be tonight.

DrugTito

canada

1 edit

Still good results.

Lets try some downloads..