spc
uniqs

Gork
Ou812ic
join:2001-10-06
Bountiful, UT

Gork to Immer

to Immer

Re: World of Warcraft down to 9.6 million subs.

said by Immer:

it isn't really a defense of wow to say we're tired of the "state of WoW" threads. Rough estimates of a total number of subs are meaningless to the player base

I feel that if someone (apparently at least Rhenai See Profile) doesn't like the "state of WoW" threads they shouldn't read them or comment on them. Why post in a thread just to say that you don't like the thread?

I for one appreciate op taking the time. I am part of the player base and I enjoy following the numbers.

And I'm happy to hear that the player base is dwindling. Perhaps the date for Scroll of Resurrection will be updated and I can get not one but four characters jumped up to level 80; one for each of my accounts. I'm keeping them all closed for the time being to see what happens in the next few months.

In the meantime I've found a renewed interest in Diablo III and StarCraft II. I'm looking forward to the upcoming expansion of the latter.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

said by Gork:

I am part of the player base and I enjoy following the numbers.

That's a fair point. Individuals can always ascribe their own meaning to the numbers.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
join:2011-04-15
Milwaukee, WI

1 edit

Snuffbox to Gork

Premium Member

to Gork
said by Gork:

I feel that if someone (apparently at least Rhenai See Profile) doesn't like the "state of WoW" threads they shouldn't read them or comment on them. Why post in a thread just to say that you don't like the thread?

Gork, in Rhenai's defense it's not necessarily the content of thread itself, but the sheer frequency of identical posts.

I like examples, I feel like some readers need examples to understand the post.

- "What's PvE Hit Cap?" This thread is totally fine the first few times you see it. No one minds answering, it's a perfectly legitimate question, but after the 8th or 9th time it gets tiring and begins to look like laziness rather then ignorance.

Similarly these "WoW killer" threads have recently just been trolls (literally "Thang" started just trying to get a reaction out of people). Nothing is ever close to "killing" WoW and the thread gets forgotten about until the next Mongo comes along (reference probably not understood by you).

Viewers are quick to say "Subscriptions are down, WoW is dying". US economy is down, USA is dying.
Criticals
join:2010-05-30

Criticals

said by Snuffbox:

said by Gork:

Gork, in Rhenai's defense it's not necessarily the content of thread itself, but the sheer frequency of identical posts.

This is a copy of the data released by blizzard. Its factual evidence released by the company that makes WoW. Truth. No one mentioned "WoW Dying" until the WoW Fans chimed in to defend it. As for the frequency this is the only thread on the forum reporting the current numbers because the numbers. People that are responding negatively to this thread would be the same as people responding negative to a census. This is the same thing.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox

Premium Member

You are correct Criticals - we just know where these threads always go.
Criticals

Criticals

said by Snuffbox:

You are correct Criticals - we just know where these threads always go.

They go there because people take them there in anticipation of it. People defend wow like a Disc preist heals when in reality they should me more like Holy heals. If you know what i mean by that analogy.

I mean people premptively rush in to defend WoW when they think someone is trying to attack an aspect of the game. Its like when you know your girlfriend has big feet and then when someone starts to comment on her shoes you rush in to say she doesnt have big feet. When in reality they were just pointing out a fact.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox

Premium Member

Criticals, this is the first thread that people jumped to the conclusion that the thread was headed into a "WoW's dying" direction.

All other threads essentially contained it in the OP's post.

Like I said, you're correct you didn't say anything about WoW dying directly. All I'm saying is if you post this exact same thread again, the same thing will happen.

Thank you for supplying WoW's current subscription numbers, I'm sure we all greatly appreciate it.

Rhenai
join:2010-09-07
Pensacola, FL

Rhenai to Gork

to Gork
See if you can follow me here.

I come to the forums to hear what others are saying about WoW -tips on how to spec, play, macros. I want to hear how they are handling the fights/raids/leveling. Hear their experiences, what they found that worked, didn't work.

I liken this to going to a break room during work, and sitting down with a bunch of people, and participating in the conversations. If people keep bringing up the same info, it gets old and stale and - boring. Yes, it may be new to some people. But when the majority of the people in the room are the ones that keep returning, it is, well - old. I know I am not the only one that would remark - "hey, that's old news" or "been there, done that".

Doesn't mean I intend to stop coming back here, but as a frequent visitor to this room, I can say - come on, it's been done before. What are you doing, man? Let’s move on.

I also compared this to a break out of acne, and the sky falling. Others chose to see the “WoW is dying” portion of my comment, and responded with the same flavor of joking. Maybe someone else will offer a remedy for the acne prone, or insurance on the falling sky. (yep, that was /sarcasm)
Criticals

Criticals

Well maybe you then should tell blizzard to stop releasing information on the WoWs subscriber numbers. Its obviously big enough news to make the front page on all of the major MMO/video game websites. I guess not the right kind of news for here. Its like the media should only report information that relates to your interest. Also, if this discussion is not one that you are interested in then why are you here? If the new subscription numbers are "old news" then you must be able to tell me what next quarters numbers will be? Or what the next expansion is for that matter.

The real old news here is your response to new information. Thats the old news.

And how can you say its been done before? It really hasnt been done before. Those had come out about an hour before I posted them. I know, i get it. I posted something negative about world of warcraft. Its blasphemy. They best way to show you do not care is to simply not reply.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
Milwaukee, WI

1 edit

Snuffbox

Premium Member

Clearying this is all going above your head so I'm going to stop attempting to explain it to you.

No... no, this is not the first time there's been news of WoW's subscriptions going down compared to their all time high, Sorry bro.
Criticals

Criticals

said by Snuffbox:

Clearying this is all going above your head so I'm going to stop attempting to explain it to you.

No... no, this is not the first time there's been new of WoW's subscriptions going down compared to their all time high, Sorry bro.

Going over my head? No, i beg to differ. I believe I have a firmer grasp on this discussion than you think and you are using that line to escape because I have made a valid point.

Does everything discussed here have to be a first time thing? Im sorry then. I thought this was a forum about the discussion of new news related to the World of Warcraft. Both positive and negative. I do apologize if I come off as snarky and snappy in my response but saying this is "over my head" is juvenile of you.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox

Premium Member

Not at all. I disengage for the quality of the forum not for my own sake. However the comment about going over your head still applies.

Ask anyone here - I welcome an argument to a fault and enjoy anyone that can put up a reasonable "discussion".

So, if you want to carry on about how much you grasp why the community is sensitive to these threads, go on.

But even in your current reponse it's clear you don't understand.

Simply put, we're tired of people projecting the death of WoW and they're than immediately silenced by WoW's continued healthy existence. Only to be followed by another Good Mongo ringing the doomsday bell.

Your post followed the same format as others. I've already given you credit that you did not say anything about WoW dying, but I explained why the community is so tired of the topic because that's the direction the thread inevitably goes.

I gave you an easy out, I explained nicely why we react this way and most of this was directed at Gork even.

So if you want to continue, by all means...

inb4popcorn.
Criticals

Criticals

The thread goes this way because it was taken this way by people like you. Think about waht you are saying. Its not this thread or any threads like its fault. Its the responders.

The format is posted was by the words of activision blizzard btw. This isnt projecting the death of anything. Its a status update. A matter in fact the people defending wow in this thread are the death projectors.

Rhenai
Pensacola, FL

Rhenai to Criticals

to Criticals
You titled this post “World of Warcraft down to 9.6 million subs” which is of course going to be perceived as “oh nos, WoW is going down”.

In fact, the title on the press release itself is “ ACTIVISION BLIZZARD ANNOUNCES BETTER-THAN-EXPECTED FOURTH QUARTER AND CALENDAR YEAR 2012 RESULTS” which is perceived in a positive light.

The next 4 paragraphs of the press release commenced to show how 2012 dollars delivered better than 2011 dollars.

It then proceeded to “selected business highlights”. All bullets here are positive notes. The last bullet here:
• As of December 31, 2012, Blizzard Entertainment’s World of Warcraft remains the #1 subscription-based MMORPG, with more than 9.6 million subscribers. 2

This number is credited to “ According to Activision Blizzard internal estimates”

So. The title of your post "...DOWN TO 9.6” leads the reader to believe that subs are DOWN; where in fact, their press release was a record of their subscribers, with no mention whatsoever of DOWN turn.

Yes, chicken little, the sky is falling!

If the title of the post had read anything other than DOWN TO, then we could have celebrated this financial success with Blizzard, amidst congratulations and good positive outlooks for future performances.

So in light of other posters’ and their “WoW is dying” mentality, your post followed the same theme. I can count 2 other times in just the past 6 months where posts were of this topic – which is minor when compared to the 4 plus that state “ that’s it, I quit” posts.

So. I say again. Been there, done that.

Go ahead and celebrate the good news released by Activision Blizzard. I am.
Criticals

Criticals

The title and content of this post were taken directly from the title and content of the post on the MMO-champion front page. Which was a quote from the words of activision blizzard. These are not my words. Also im sorry you assumed from my title that this was a "wow is dying". You know what they say about assumptions though... It truly is your mistake and i accept your apology though.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox to Criticals

Premium Member

to Criticals
Yes, we sarcastically said WoW is dying. Hence this ^ gem of a picture because so many people have attempted to predict its death.

Move on, you have no basis to be upset.

Rhenai
Pensacola, FL

Rhenai to Criticals

to Criticals
I printed out the press release itself, I wanted to ensure that I had the correct facts. All 12 pages of it.
said by Criticals:

The title and content of this post were taken directly from the title and content of the post on the MMO-champion front page. Which was a quote from the words of activision blizzard. These are not my words. Also im sorry you assumed from my title that this was a "wow is dying". You know what they say about assumptions though... It truly is your mistake and i accept your apology though.

I never assumed anything. Assumption and perception are not one and the same.
Oh, and - I never offered an apology, don't presume to accept one.

Tirael
BOHICA
Premium Member
join:2009-03-18
Sacramento, CA

Tirael

Premium Member

Mike, kill this thread before it becomes a bitch war.
Criticals

Criticals

Well dont shoot the messenger man. I just copied and pasted this from the front pages of a few popular MMO websites. To the T. I didnt add or remove anything and this was taken straight from the conference call with activision blizzard. If the truth is negative then its negative. How hard is it to accept that? Im not saying "WoW is dead" or anything of that matter. If you perceived that from my post title then im sorry you were perceived the wrong thing. Still doesnt give you the right to put words out of my mouth that never came out.

Thats not my fault you were wrong and that the information you gathered from the title was direct words from the game company.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox

Premium Member

said by Criticals:

Well dont shoot the messenger man. I just copied and pasted this from the front pages of a few popular MMO websites. To the T. I didnt add or remove anything and this was taken straight from the conference call with activision blizzard. If the truth is negative then its negative. How hard is it to accept that? Im not saying "WoW is dead" or anything of that matter. If you perceived that from my post title then im sorry you were perceived the wrong thing. Still doesnt give you the right to put words out of my mouth that never came out.

Thats not my fault you were wrong and that the information you gathered from the title was direct words from the game company.

.... Did you even read Rhenai's response?

Has ANYONE here argued the 9.6 million current subs number?

No.

All we did was say "Oh hell, not another 'WoW's dying' thread..."

No one wronged you, move on.
Criticals

Criticals

I never said I was wronged. I said you were wrong by assuming this was a "Wows dying thread". Thats all. I hope you dont deny what you just posted. But its ok man. Thats why I forgave you. You saw a title, got excited and posted without thinking. Its ok. It happens to all of us.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox

Premium Member

This is a WoW's dying thread. It became that as soon as you made your condescending post about declining WoW subscriptions when in fact they appear to have risen.

So, you can argue that your intention was not to turn it into a WoW's dying thread. But that's what it became like the community expected.
Criticals

Criticals

said by Snuffbox:

This is a WoW's dying thread. It became that as soon as you made your condescending post about declining WoW subscriptions when in fact they appear to have risen.

So, you can argue that your intention was not to turn it into a WoW's dying thread. But that's what it became like the community expected.

I want you to go back and read the first response to my initial post. Tell me who turned this into a WoW is dying thread? Tell me the name of the person that first said this was that sort of thread.

Rhenai
Pensacola, FL

1 edit

Rhenai

said by Criticals:

WoW Down to 9.6 Million Subscribers
Activision Blizzard's press release states that World of Warcraft is down to 9.6 million subscribers as of December 31, 2012. ...

said by Rhenai:

These threads keep popping up like pimples on that poor nerd's face - Wow's sub base is down, Wow is dead, the sky is falling, blah blah. Must resist the urge to pop them, will leave damaging scars.

Better yet, find something new to post.

Here's a thought. When sharing something other than your own personal opinion/experience, include the caveat "as reported by..." or "a quote from..." That way no one will conclude that this is your opinion. You posted informaton that was presented in a manner that could only be taken as your personal opinion.

My comment was a dramatic sarcastic reply, I won't deny that, I started off by addressing your comment on the dwindling sub base, then carried it off out onto extremes, which is what has been proven to historically occur here.

End result? The "WoW is dying/sky is falling/much ado about nothing" thread has actually come to fruition!

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox to Criticals

Premium Member

to Criticals
Mr. Troll, as we've continued to communicate to you. The responses to your post were "Not again..." "Eyeroll..." "Sarcasm..."

You're really really upset. It's difficult to watch you squirm in agony over this single thread so I think you should take a breather.
Criticals

Criticals to Rhenai

to Rhenai
said by Rhenai:

said by Criticals:

WoW Down to 9.6 Million Subscribers
Activision Blizzard's press release states that World of Warcraft is down to 9.6 million subscribers as of December 31, 2012. ...

said by Rhenai:

These threads keep popping up like pimples on that poor nerd's face - Wow's sub base is down, Wow is dead, the sky is falling, blah blah. Must resist the urge to pop them, will leave damaging scars.

Better yet, find something new to post.

Here's a thought. When sharing something other than your own personal opinion/experience, include the caveat "as reported by..." or "a quote from..." That way no one will conclude that this is your opinion. You posted informaton that was presented in a manner that could only be taken as your personal opinion.

My comment was a dramatic sarcastic reply, I won't deny that, I started off by addressing your comment on the dwindling sub base, then carried it off out onto extremes, which is what has been proven to historically occur here.

End result? The "WoW is dying/sky is falling/much ado about nothing" thread has actually come to frution!

With that being said I see how it couldnt have been taken as a forum post by an individual than factual evidence taken directly from the creator of the game. Either way the information posted remains the same. However, next time, I will make sure to use quotations when pulling a quote from the text of another page.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

1 edit

1 recommendation

Immer

Premium Member

okay... the insistence on how "factual" the information was is a bit childish, given that no one has disputed the number.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, and take your word that it wasn't a doomsday post. What was the purpose of the post? What discussion did you hope to have about the number 9.6 Million?

if it was just to share an article... okay... but if people share their contempt for the topic, either stop "sharing" such articles or learn to expect the response and let it roll like water off a duck's back (meaning, don't go off half-cocked calling everyone who objects to the topic as a blizzard apologist).

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox

Premium Member

said by Immer:

the insistence on how "factual" the information was is a bit childish, given that no one has disputed the number.

^
said by Snuffbox:

Has ANYONE here argued the 9.6 million current subs number?

No.

^

He insists he understands what this discussion is about...

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

I'm not interested in brow-beating... I just wanted to know what the other option was. Those against doomsday posts have made their viewpoints very clear.

I honestly don't know how someone might have a discussion about 9.6Million subscriptions without making projections/assumptions about its longevity. I'd like to know how that was supposed to play out. Or not... and then we can let the thread die (or Mike can lock it).

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
Milwaukee, WI

1 edit

Snuffbox

Premium Member

Edited.