Search similar:

uniqs

anon623
@comcast.net

anon623 to gizmojoe

Anon

to gizmojoe

Re: Switching in a Comcast DTA breaks my Security Camera feeds

Does your DTA have RCA outputs? (Yellow, Red, White) If so use those for the DTA, and then just plug the Leviton's output coax directly into your tv. You could also do the opposite with one of those paper weight things called a VCR. Hook the VCR up and tune that to channel 78, then just use the RCA input to the tv.
neufuse
join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA

neufuse to gizmojoe

to gizmojoe
If you want to do this, you need all new equipment, that will inject as a QAM channel... our area has a range of channels called "CAM" which go from 952 to 958 all called security camera... which you can inject into, but the equipment is a good bit more expensive then just plain old analog NTSC injection equipment

Orlando 57
@comcast.net

Orlando 57 to gizmojoe

Anon

to gizmojoe
DTA stands for digital transport adaptor. It will not look or show analog signals.
You say that the A/b switch is a non-starter. Well where is the DTA? An A/B switch is about the same size.
In order to use the DTA you would need equipment that can strip a digital channel, then take out one of the many SD channels on that digital channel then you would need to insert your CC feed and label it with a digital PID that the DTA could recognize. This type of equipment is quite expensive.

Why not do this. Run a new coax to the TV with just your CC feed. Hook it up to a second input on your tv and switch between the two. It will be just like changing channels but you are doing it with the TV remote and not the DTA remote.

Trust the people that have replied the easiest way to do what you want to do is with an A/B switch or the way I discribed.

gizmojoe
@comcast.net

gizmojoe to motorola870

Anon

to motorola870
So the idea of having AB switches hanging off the wall mounted flat screen is a real non-starter. There has to be an elegant way to do this and if there are truly Analog channels sent down the cable for diagnistic and balancing purposes, how would I identify those? Currently, in my area, Comcast bradcasts a test pattern on 753MHz but the DTA shows the same exact signal on VCs 75 and 77. On Channel 75, the Video PID is 0x09C0 and on Channel 77 the Video PID is 0x07c0 so I assume these are being broadcast as Digital channels and not Analog. How would I identify, in the DTA Info, which channels, if any, are Analog?
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678 to trythisfirst

to trythisfirst
you don't want to be muxing analog over the digital cable

trythisfirst
@comcast.net

trythisfirst to gizmojoe

Anon

to gizmojoe
In a few months hopefully your area will go to HD Dta's. If you had those you could possibly split the coax to the HD Dta which would then go to an hdmi input. The other split coax hook directly to the tv set's coax input. You would then switch inputs to look at the security feed. Boxes above dta's would also work right now in same scenario, you just need to use an input other than the tv's coax input.

panth1
The Coyote
join:2000-12-11
Port Saint Lucie, FL

panth1 to gizmojoe

to gizmojoe
The only cheap way around it, as others have described, is to bypass the cable box and direct coax to the tv's ntsc tuner.

Getting more technical. If your local digital lineup has dedicated "community" channels. You would need to find out what QAM carrier the DTA tunes from the diagnostics. Hopefully it's dedicated and vacant. Then invest in an mpeg2 encoder and QAM modulator that allows you to set the correct PID numbers.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to gizmojoe

MVM

to gizmojoe
Unfortunately, these DTAs do not have any pass-through capability for NTSC analog signals. The RF input feeds directly into a digital-only tuner. That notch filter could also filter out any digital channels that are now moved/added into the CATV Channels 75 to 80 area on your system

The only way I see for you to handle this is with a splitter/A-B switch set-up that Comcast suggests for subscribers that want to be able to view (currently unencrypted) Limited Basic channels in HD on their HDTV sets equipped with "Clear QAM" tuners: »customer.comcast.com/hel ··· to-hdtv/

By flipping the A-B Switch and tuning the TVs between Channel 3 and 78, you'd be able to view your security camera feeds once again, though with not as much convenience as before.

Orlando 57
@comcast.net

Orlando 57 to motorola870

Anon

to motorola870
You will not be able to do this anymore. The DTA looks at digital channels only. Since your feed isn't a digital channel you can't tune it in.
and no you can't just make it a digital channel because the channels the DTA looks at have a label on them and will only decode those with the correct label.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870 to gizmojoe

to gizmojoe
said by gizmojoe :

I have a Leviton CATV distribution system that allowed me to inject security camera feeds into my cable signal path to be viewed on all the TVs in my house on channel 78. Using a Leviton Distribution Module with a notch filter, (CATV 75-80 suppressed in the incoming CATV feed) my camera signals were run through a sequencer and modulater, the output of which became an auxilary input to the distribtion module. I was quite happy with this setup until Comcast shut off all the analog channels recently, forcing us to use thier Pace and Motorola DTAs. Now, with DTAs connected inline to each TV, I believe that the DTAs or totally ignoring my analog signal so effectively Comcast's mandatory technology upgrade has c**ped all over my 3K perimeter Security video capability investment. Anyone have any idea of how to get these adapters to 'shift' my channel to channel 3 on the TVs? Is there any 'reserved' channel on the input of these that will allow this sort of injection on analog to be presented in the convertor's output that that channel is selected?

where are you located? If your system does not use channels above 120 or for digital services you could use analog 125 for the camera feeds. You would need a single channel notch filter also what channel do you have on your tv that displays the digital adapter screen in the 60-78 analog range? That would be the channel to use as cable companies have a channel in that range that they have to keep analog modulation on to balance the amps.

gizmojoe
@comcast.net

gizmojoe

Anon

I have a Leviton CATV distribution system that allowed me to inject security camera feeds into my cable signal path to be viewed on all the TVs in my house on channel 78. Using a Leviton Distribution Module with a notch filter, (CATV 75-80 suppressed in the incoming CATV feed) my camera signals were run through a sequencer and modulater, the output of which became an auxilary input to the distribtion module. I was quite happy with this setup until Comcast shut off all the analog channels recently, forcing us to use thier Pace and Motorola DTAs. Now, with DTAs connected inline to each TV, I believe that the DTAs or totally ignoring my analog signal so effectively Comcast's mandatory technology upgrade has c**ped all over my 3K perimeter Security video capability investment. Anyone have any idea of how to get these adapters to 'shift' my channel to channel 3 on the TVs? Is there any 'reserved' channel on the input of these that will allow this sort of injection on analog to be presented in the convertor's output that that channel is selected?