Search similar:

uniqs

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

[Speed Issues] Grants Pass, OR still getting slow speeds....

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Especially in the evenings. 100mb/5mb tier and screen shot of what I am getting. Terrible. Web pages are also very slow to load. I don't know what is going on. I am also posting screen shots of current modem signals. Can anyone advise? Looks like I will have to get Charter out here? I believe signals are okay?
dsl2cable
join:2006-02-11
Los Angeles, CA

dsl2cable

said by KoRnGtL15:

Especially in the evenings. 100mb/5mb tier and screen shot of what I am getting. Terrible. Web pages are also very slow to load. I don't know what is going on. I am also posting screen shots of current modem signals. Can anyone advise? Looks like I will have to get Charter out here? I believe signals are okay?

I'm having the same issues my 30/4 drops out every evening.
Ryan818
join:2006-12-14
Medford, OR

Ryan818

I was having a bunch of issues in the evening a few weeks ago here in Medford, Oregon. I am not on the 100/5 but the 30/4 plan. It appears to be back to normal now as I speed test well into the 40 Mbps range and my upload has always remained stable. My feeling is that many areas in our neck of the woods have oversaturated nodes that can't handle the load in the evenings. By the way all of my modem signals were good when I was having issues.

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

Did you wait it out and it got fixed? Or did someone actually come out? I have a feeling if I have someone come out. Everything will check out just fine. Then I pretty much know for sure it is a saturation issue in the evenings.
Ryan818
Medford, OR

Ryan818 to KoRnGtL15

to KoRnGtL15
I just waited it out. I do have a friend who lives about 3 miles from me and he was on the 100/5 plan. He was getting about the same speeds as you are. They upgraded his feed to his home and his speeds improved a bit but were still less than what he should be getting for 100/5. The tech that came out said that they were having issues handling the higher speeds and that many areas around here don't have a significant fiber backbone to handle the demand during peak hours. I hope you find out what is causing it if you have someone come out. I think it is a crap shoot at best with Charter most times.

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
Grants Pass, OR

2 edits

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

Direct MS iso Windows 7 Pro x64
Looks like I will have to get someone out and see if they find any thing. I am sure they will do the old blame my equipment routine. So, sick of that. I have seen other folks post here from Grants Pass before. Do any other people have the 100mb/5mb tier in my area? Oh how much I miss the direct forum. A crying damn shame they are gone.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

1 edit

cork1958 to KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

to KoRnGtL15
Not to sound offensive, but with as many times as you've been here complaining about your speeds, or lack there of, why in the world do you continue to just hand Charter that much money? I'd be downgrading and complaining VERY vehemently to Charter when I called, as to why I'm downgrading also.

Cripe,
At least complain to your local government, or the BBB, or some local forum, or some one who might have some local connection with Charter. Shake some trees around there!!

msmisfit
join:2004-09-13
Atlanta, GA
ARRIS SB6121
Netgear WNDR3800

msmisfit to KoRnGtL15

to KoRnGtL15
said by KoRnGtL15:

Looks like I will have to get someone out and see if they find any thing. I am sure they will do the old blame my equipment routine. Oh how much I miss the direct forum. A crying damn shame they are gone.

We all SO agree about the loss of the Direct Forum.

I'm guessing that is a Charter Ubee modem, is this a direct connection [i.e., no router involved] getting these speeds? You have nothing to lose getting these speeds *recorded* and addressed by Charter whenever you can.

I know there's the possibility you'll get a service call charged that will have to be adjusted later, but they can't possibly say that you are getting the service you are paying for and they need to correct the situation or tell you what can be done.

Hope you get some help soon.

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15 to cork1958

Premium Member

to cork1958
I admit. I am bad at putting something like this off and not wanting to deal with it. I hate it!
KoRnGtL15

2 edits

KoRnGtL15 to msmisfit

Premium Member

to msmisfit
Click for full size
I do have a router which is a Linksys E4200 V1 with latest firmware. But, even taking that out and running with just the modem. The speeds are still bad. Looks good now huh? Only if it stayed like that in the evenings. I just took that speed test at 1:22 pm right now. That proves I can and capable of getting my speeds. With my homemade troubleshooting. I still think it is congestion in the evenings..... 10-1 I bet that is it. I have a feeling the tech. won't tell me that though.
15444104 (banned)
join:2012-06-11

15444104 (banned)

I still wonder if there is a problem with "someone" else on your node and when they turn on their service (tv, internet, ect) they then create the problem that shows up every evening. Or perhaps someone is illegally connected to the service. Always possible, I would call Charter and ask if they check for illegal hookups in your general area.
Ryan818
Medford, OR

Ryan818 to KoRnGtL15

to KoRnGtL15
You are experiencing the exact same issue I had when I was on 100/5. As I said before the bottom line is that our region really can't handle those speeds 24/7. When demand increases we all see a significant drop in speeds. Charter can call it whatever they want, but overall they are unable to keep consistent speeds at all hours of the day. That is why I cancelled my 100/5 service and went to 30/4. I wasn't willing to pay such a high price and only get to to use it at its peak potential at 3AM.

Jerm
join:2000-04-10
Richland, WA
·Ziply Fiber

Jerm to KoRnGtL15

to KoRnGtL15
KoRnGtL15 -

Interesting. I am also seeing "downgrades" to 4-5mbps at peak times. Can't tell if its a local node issue or what exactly.

It has been interesting as it only started happening in the past few months randomly during the evening (probably bandwidth filling up).

I always use latency (ping) as a good indicator of where problems start. Download pingplotter standard and graph your latency to a few hops (trace to google, ping once per second, unlimited times) and see where the problems start. Mine does on the first hop past my modem. So thus I was thinking "local node" problem.

Wild guess: A new traffic shaping setting they added to all the configs recently triggered this, now when bandwidth fills up everyone slows down to 4mbps - 5mbps? Only Charter knows for sure!
Ryan818
Medford, OR

Ryan818

It is an issue for sure with over saturated nodes. My speeds drop like a rock right around 4:30-5:00 PM each evening and then don't really recover until much later at night around 11:30-1:00 AM. They can't seem to handle the demand during peak hours of the day. Uploads are fine and stable but download speeds come to a complete halt. Ping remains pretty consistent in the teens to low 20's. Charter could never provide a true 100/5 connection to my house even with brand new lines and a neighborhood that is only around 6 years old. I was not willing to pay close to $100 for speeds that only reached 50-70% of the advertised speeds.

Jerm
join:2000-04-10
Richland, WA
·Ziply Fiber

1 edit

Jerm

Ryan818 -

I agree it probably is just overloaded nodes now that they have a 30mbps minimum speed package.

For me pings are low UNTIL I start to actually use bandwidth. Stream Netflix HD? 500ms pings! Pings when only using 1mbps? Same as idle!

As for 100mbit. Who was Charter kidding? They never WANTED to actually provide the service - four bonded downstream channels = 120mbps MAX shared between all customers. So basically if you are getting a 95mbit speed test everyone ELSE on the node is sharing the remaining 25mbps... Thanks Charter!
15444104 (banned)
join:2012-06-11

15444104 (banned)

said by Jerm:

Ryan818 -

I agree it probably is just overloaded nodes now that they have a 30mbps minimum speed package.

More "genius" from Tom Rutledge and his new brass tack manglement team... only concerned about the last friggen penny for the shareholder and sticking to the customer. How wonderful .

Eventually that kind of shortsightedness will come back to bite them in the aaaaaaankle.

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

Click for full size
Click for full size
I was curious. I only have 1 semi local dns number now. I am in Grants Pass but it is a Medford address which is 25 miles away from me or so. The other 2 are from California and Nevada. Pretty far from me. I took the grc dns test and one of them was deemed unreliable with issues. I also took the top 50 test. So, I let it run for the 35 minutes or so it needed to get the top 50 list. Do you notice the very first one? That is my specific area yet it is not being used. I bet you we have local dns configuration issue here? Also as you can see. It put the 2 much further dns addresses from me at the bottom of the list.
KoRnGtL15

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

Click for full size
Slow
Click for full size
Fast
Well I was going to update once it was fully resolved. But, figured I would post up any ways. Over the last few days. I have been working with Charter on this problem. Had a tech that came out today and checked everything from top to bottom. Everything checks out fine on my end. Hardware, wiring, and signals. Upload and pings are fine. But, he definitely said I have a issue on the download side. Seen it for himself. I also logged my speedtest over time to show him. I get full speeds only in the early a.m. Example being 4, 5 6, 7 a.m. etc. My speeds are now even being effected in the day time from 11 a.m. on. I will be hearing from him with in a couple days. He escalated it to the higher ups as its beyond what he can do. In the mean time I wait and will be getting credits for service that is not working properly atm. I am on it like fly on dung and will continue now until its resolved. I could not get it out of him. But, deep down. I bet he agrees its a saturation issue but trained not to tell no matter what.

Seiyorah
join:2013-03-26
Cleveland, TN

Seiyorah

My technician stated that congestion is a high possibility. Under Charter's agreements, when everyone is using the internet and it becomes "congested", their system will automatically "manage" the users who are using the most bandwidth. That is on Charter's official site.

It's disgusting.

shift_x
join:2007-03-27
Grants Pass, OR

shift_x

I can confirm extremely slow speeds here in the Grants Pass area.

I thought it was something local to my girlfriend's house, however when I came out here to my house (100mbit), the speeds are still terrible. 3 mbit down, 5.5mbit up. This is so far from being 100mbit that it's simply just silly.. been like this off and on for the last, oh, I dunno maybe a week. I was finally fed up and came out here to my house to re-download some games on my new laptop and voila, same speed results here. Pings around 150-200 to the head-end in Medford.

Was really hoping to get done and out of here in a third the time tonight, but, doesn't look like I will be that lucky.

It's been so great for so long now, it's just Murphy's law that I would actually NEED the faster speeds I pay for at my house, and I can't get them... but when the extra speed doesn't give me much benefit, it'll be peggin' 105mbit all day long.

*facepalm*

Hopefully it will fix itself like, an hour ago.

On a second note, I am thankful we got a new DVR box - the last one just simply died a few days ago without warning and had to get a new motorola unit.

dj_figgy
Premium Member
join:2002-08-14
Eagle Point, OR

dj_figgy to KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

to KoRnGtL15
Yep, I can confirm this as well. I am in Eagle Point and have been a Charter internet customer for about 10 years. It's never been this bad, ever. Starting at about 6pm everynight, my speed drops to about the same levels as KornGTL's. Then, by about 11 or midnight, it's starts getting better. Speeds I am getting tonight rival what my old 28.8 modem used to do...........what a joke.
Ryan818
Medford, OR

Ryan818

My speeds here in Medford have actually gotten better over the last 3 weeks. I was having some serious issues back in February into the first half of March. I actually was going to go the DSL route again until Centurylink failed to provide speeds as advertised. I still get the typical 6 PM slow down but my speeds are now in the 15/4 range as compared to 1.5/4 before. I did have a technician come out and check all of my connections and the node that I am assigned to. I was told it was congestion and too much traffic assigned to one area, but not much more was said. Surprisingly three days later a series of Charter vans showed up around my neighborhood working on the pedestals and distribution boxes. So as of right now I am fairly happy and can live with it.

Here is a snapshot of my speeds as of 8:30 this morning:
»speedtest.ookla.com/resu ··· 8141.png

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

I have not heard anything back just yet. Something has changed though the last couple of days. Just took this at 1:36pm and could never reach full speeds during the day before. Evening is still a drag and single digits. But, it seems like something is finally starting to be worked on. Giving it this week and if I don't hear anything. I will be all over it once again.

Ryan818
Medford, OR

Ryan818

Here is another update with afternoon speeds here in Medford. Pretty stable for the last few weeks.
»speedtest.ookla.com/resu ··· 3853.png

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

Click for full size
9:06 pm
I will be going in Monday or Tuesday to my local office and follow up. I am at the point of wanting to refuse payment until its fixed. Even web pages are slow to load.
calc1
join:2009-02-19
Beverly Hills, CA

calc1

My thread....»[Speed Issues] Nightly slow speeds...

As of tonight...
»speedtest.ookla.com/resu ··· 1394.png

Looks like you're having a pretty damn good night in comparison.

Please let us know how the local office visit goes, I'd also like to refuse payment.

shift_x
join:2007-03-27
Grants Pass, OR

shift_x to KoRnGtL15

to KoRnGtL15
Update?

Has anybody else cleared up? Sure haven't here...

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958 to KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

to KoRnGtL15
said by KoRnGtL15:

I will be going in Monday or Tuesday to my local office and follow up. I am at the point of wanting to refuse payment until its fixed. Even web pages are slow to load.

So,
What happened when you went into the office on Monday or Tuesday? Yes, I know today is Tuesday!

Inquiring minds would like to know!

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

That was last Tuesday. I am still dealing with these a holes!

»[Speed Issues] Nightly slow speeds..

bobjohnson
Premium Member
join:2007-02-03
Spartanburg, SC

bobjohnson to KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

to KoRnGtL15
NM.