uniqs
share rss forum feed

KoRnGtL15
Premium
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR
kudos:1
reply to cork1958

Re: [Speed Issues] Grants Pass, OR still getting slow speeds....

Progress has FINALLY been made. Got a hold of the tech. that has been working with me and the situation. He said 100% they found the problem and parts have been ordered. He could not tell me what the problem was. Company policy I suppose? Or he did not want to get into trouble. Here is the kicker. The other team that will be doing the fix. They would not give him a ETA when it will be fixed once the parts come in. He expected though it would be rather prompt. He is making notes for me that I am not getting full service and we will be getting another discount. He told me to give it a couple more weeks and to call him back. He hopes it would be fixed by then. Said I can also test every so often in the next 2 weeks and I will notice right away when it is fixed.

KoRnGtL15
Premium
Grants Pass, OR
reply to Ryan818
The true test will be between 6-10pm if they really fixed it or not for you.

Ryan818

join:2006-12-14
Medford, OR
I agree they could just be blowing smoke in my face, but so far my speeds are into the 50 Mbps range when I am only paying for 30 Mbps. I was shocked to have them actually admit that the node was congested and that they had an issue on their end. Usually I just get the run around that it is my equipment etc. Now that I am using their modem they don't have much of an excuse. Good luck on having the repairs completed in a timely fashion.

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
reply to KoRnGtL15
Had a few issues several nights first of the month, Has been pretty good since then. Reset the modem to defaults, and reset the router as well, and updated th NIC driver. Good so far.

KoRnGtL15
Premium
Grants Pass, OR
reply to Ryan818
Click for full size
Full Steam Ahead
Was it truly fixed for you? Still waiting for them to fix it on my end. I can still only hit full speeds in the early mornings when no one is on. Still hitting the 2-3mb range on the download side in the evenings.

Ryan818

Medford, OR
Well my speeds slow down still a bit in the evening with demand, but I am still hitting close to 60-70% of advertised speeds. The slowest I have seen in the evening is around 15/4. During the day I can hit almost 50/4. I probably average around 35/4 on a daily basis since the node congestion has been lifted. I will keep you posted if things go down hill in the next few weeks. I am hoping that things stay solid for awhile as I can finally stream movies at night without interruptions.

Speed as of 1 PM »speedtest.ookla.com/result/21119 ··· 9338.png

KoRnGtL15
Premium
Grants Pass, OR

1 edit
reply to KoRnGtL15
delete

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
reply to KoRnGtL15
I think I got a speed boost or something...

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
Nah! My speed test isn't quite as inaccurate as yours, but still....

That's just Charters totally inaccurate, flash based speed test working as per usual!

Never has been accurate, even when they used the even worse java speed test!

said by KoRnGtL15:

Progress has FINALLY been made. Got a hold of the tech. that has been working with me and the situation. He said 100% they found the problem and parts have been ordered. He could not tell me what the problem was. Company policy I suppose? Or he did not want to get into trouble. Here is the kicker. The other team that will be doing the fix. They would not give him a ETA when it will be fixed once the parts come in. He expected though it would be rather prompt. He is making notes for me that I am not getting full service and we will be getting another discount. He told me to give it a couple more weeks and to call him back. He hopes it would be fixed by then. Said I can also test every so often in the next 2 weeks and I will notice right away when it is fixed.

It's a week later. How's that progress coming?
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonk ··· amonkey/

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
reply to KoRnGtL15
So, what IS the best speed test? (accurate)

TESTMY.NET seems to be more accurate than anyone's.

Ryan818

Medford, OR
reply to cork1958
I can give you guys an update on my issues with Charter. All was well for the last week or so and then last night my speeds dropped off like a rock. At one point my pings were close to 300 ms with downloads of .20 Mbps. I called Charter and once again got the run around that everything looks fine with my signals etc. I explained that I was told last week it was a congestion issue and that that someone had performed maintenance on the node. I also pushed to get a credit applied to my account, which they did implement. Needless to say I have a tech coming out this evening to check everything out again. Will keep you posted on what they find.

Chuck_IV

join:2003-11-18
Connecticut
Unfrotumately, that response is all you are really gonna get from the CSRs. That's all their trained to do.

When I had my issue, the CSR went the same route, when I knew it wasn't me and there was something wrong with their system. She insisted in sending someone out even tho all I wanted to do was to report the issue.

Back in the day, it was much better. I could actually talk to people in my local office and talk to the actual tech/networks guys directly. Made solving issues much simpler and faster.

kherr
Premium
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter
When I had my initial glitches from a new install, the only time I talked to the first level “tech” was my first call, and they booted my “upstairs” rather quickly Every time after that I was automatically kicked up to level 2 and they were looking at information from previous calls. You gotta love caller ID. They actually listened to what I did to troubleshoot and didn’t make me do the “routine”. It was quickly resolved. I must be lucky ….

I also don’t rely on speed tests per say. I download a file of known size and time it. It gives a lot more precise number. The speed tests will say ~40+ when in actuality I’m getting in the high 20s. When downloading a movie from Amazon, my Tivo retains the speed at which it was downloaded. Those numbers confirm previous tests.

KoRnGtL15
Premium
Grants Pass, OR
reply to cork1958
Well he said give it a couple weeks. So, I will personally be giving him a call next Wed. and see if we have movement. That will be 2 weeks officially. Even though he gave me his personal number. I am not going to pester him. You know what I mean? I have faith he is trying to help and is a really nice guy. But, those bastards above him are slow as molasses and obviously have a it will be fixed when it is fixed attitude.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
Personally,
If you have the personal number of somebody in the know, I'd be all over him like flies on stink, after going through all the trouble you have for as long as you have.

I'd also be telling Charter to shove those credits where the sun doesn't shine and fix this s**t, repeatedly!!

I must admit, you are one patient individual.

said by compuguybna:

So, what IS the best speed test? (accurate)

TESTMY.NET seems to be more accurate than anyone's.

Their test is about as inaccurate as anyone else's, especially if you use IE.
--
The Firefox alternative.

Ryan818

Medford, OR

1 edit
Here is another update on my end. I was actually very impressed with the tech that showed up at my house. He knew what he was doing and actually hooked up a laptop and ran diagnostics for my neighborhood. The node looks good for now and congestion is clear. He believes it is an issue with my modem as it was down for a few hours today and nobody else in my area had issues. They swapped the Cisco modem for a Motorola 6121. He seemed to think that it was the weak point and my levels were fine. The sudden drop off in the last two days was suspicious based on current readings in my area. I will keep my fingers crossed that this is the issue and all will be resolved.

Update 5/5/13: Speeds are much more stable in the evening hours. During the day my speeds are very fast for only having 30/4 package. I can't complain at this point in time. »speedtest.ookla.com/result/21238 ··· 9995.png

KoRnGtL15
Premium
Grants Pass, OR
reply to KoRnGtL15
Well I gave him a call today as it has been 2 weeks. The major part has still not come in and on order. Said he felt terrible for me and now others have come forward with the issue. I am now not the only one. He stressed how major and expensive this piece is they have ordered for the head end. In which I told him. I bet this is exactly why Charter has held off as long as they have. Hoping people would not notice it and not have to fix it. He assured me they are on it and aware of it now more then ever. It can come in any time. Even tomorrow. Said he would give me a call when they start working on it or when it is fixed. 8 channel downstream is coming soon and he could not tell me any more. He also would not say with this major fix. If 8 channel would be enabled and it might be part of the fix. Not much news but that is all I have.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
Sure hope the guy isn't just blowing smoke to get you off the phone, which, with Charter, would not surprise me at all.
--
The Firefox alternative.

KoRnGtL15
Premium
Grants Pass, OR
No we talked like 15 minutes in general about Charter. He actually lives down the street from me.

Ryan818

Medford, OR
Peak hours speeds in Medford, OR. A drastic improvement compared to the last few months. I think the modem replacement made all of the difference for me. I hope it continues to remain the same from now on.

»speedtest.ookla.com/result/21285 ··· 9331.png

KoRnGtL15
Premium
Grants Pass, OR
What modem do you have now? Just curious. Think I asked you before but cannot remember. Also are you still locked on to 4 downstream channels or 8?

Ryan818

Medford, OR
I am running a Motorola SB6121. They swapped out the Cisco modem I was given a few months ago. I am only seeing 4 channels on the downstream, but was told that could change soon. It seems to be doing the trick for the late evening slow downs in my area.

KoRnGtL15
Premium
Grants Pass, OR
Hmm. That modem only does 4 channel downstream. So, once 8 hits. You will need another upgrade if you so desire. Or Charter makes people. I wonder if the Motorola SB6141 works fine with Charter? I want to be ready for 8 channels when it comes soon. I am free to buy my own modem since I remain on old tier pricing. Btw. When they swapped out the Cisco for you. What model was it? Curious since a particular model does 8 downstream channels.

Ryan818

Medford, OR
It was a DPC3008. It was a crappy modem in my opinion. If they go to 8 channel downstream I can always just request a new modem. No need to just run out and buy a new one. Pretty simple to go down to the local office and swap it out. But for now the Motorola 6121 is a much better performing modem in my opinion than the Cisco. Even the tech said stay away from the Cisco modems.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
reply to KoRnGtL15
Are you positive you can just go buy another modem even if you are on the old pricing plan?

They told me I can't do that if my currently self owned modem dies and I'm am still on a older pricing plan too.

My ONLY choice according to Charter here is if my modem dies I MUST swap it out for one of theirs and my bill will go up another $5.00 to the regular/current price.
--
The Firefox alternative.

KoRnGtL15
Premium
Grants Pass, OR
Positive. As much as I hate my local office. I was told the same by 2 different people. In my particular area. If you remain on old pricing. You are free to avoid the modem rental and continue to purchase your own. They want $7.00 a month here for a rental. If I ever change my speed tier. That is when I have to use theirs. Ultra is $129.99 along with $200 activation fee. I am paying $84.99 The lower tier is $54.99 here. When they tried to push me to cancel my Ultra service. They offered me a internet 30mb/4mb and phone bundle since we have phone as well with them. $69.99 for both and that is not a promo. They said it was regular price. It would give me a $35 savings. $30 on the net $5 on the phone.

Ryan818

Medford, OR
Interesting because I am paying 49.99 for 30/4 here in Medford, OR with no modem rental fee. I actually got a $30 credit last month for all of the speed issues I was having. I was told by the CSR agent at our local office that I had to use their modem and that customer owned modems will be phased out or not supported on their system. They sure do make up a bunch of stuff and charge different prices for the same services and equipment. I guess that is the Charter way.

Ryan818

Medford, OR
reply to KoRnGtL15
deleted. Duplicate post

passerby

join:2013-03-22
Monroe, MI
reply to Ryan818
said by Ryan818:

It was a DPC3008. It was a crappy modem in my opinion. If they go to 8 channel downstream I can always just request a new modem. No need to just run out and buy a new one. Pretty simple to go down to the local office and swap it out. But for now the Motorola 6121 is a much better performing modem in my opinion than the Cisco. Even the tech said stay away from the Cisco modems.

The DPC3008 is 8 downstream capable and there's nothing "crappy" about it -- it's just as solid as any other. Techs can be weird with their preferences in equipment...

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma

1 edit
and the DPC3008 **IS** operating on 8 downstream channels...***on MY modem****

said by passerby:

said by Ryan818:

The DPC3008 is 8 downstream capable and there's nothing "crappy" about it -- it's just as solid as any other. Techs can be weird with their preferences in equipment...