spc
uniqs
dsl2cable
join:2006-02-11
Los Angeles, CA

dsl2cable to 15444104

to 15444104

Re: Wire Maintenance Insurance

I was told to keep it because that fee would cover visits from Charter technicians or pay $45 a visit.

anon guy
@charter.com

anon guy

Anon

Unless you have lots of house calls cheaper to not have it. Also not just a Charter issue how many people still pay for wire maintenance and equipment protection from the local phone company? Seriously people pay $60 a year for "equipment protection" for a phone they got at Walmart for $10. If you keep the phone for 10 years you paid $600 for nothing.

DaSneaky1D
what's up
MVM
join:2001-03-29
The Lou

DaSneaky1D to dsl2cable

MVM

to dsl2cable
That only covers issues where a dispatch is requested and the problem was not related to Charter's control.

If you have Charter come out for a service call and the issue is theirs, you're not charged.

ToxicDrew
Premium Member
join:2001-09-24

ToxicDrew

Premium Member

I was having constant drops from my modem. I called tech and they dispatched a guy the next day. He arrived on time tested the modem and said everything was fine. I then received a $45 charge on my bill. Not once was I told about the fee! I called and they immediately blackmailed me into adding $4.99 wire maintenance in exchange for a credit of $45 -__-

anon guy
@charter.com

1 edit

anon guy

Anon

said by ToxicDrew:

I was having constant drops from my modem. I called tech and they dispatched a guy the next day. He arrived on time tested the modem and said everything was fine. I then received a $45 charge on my bill. Not once was I told about the fee! I called and they immediately blackmailed me into adding $4.99 wire maintenance in exchange for a credit of $45 -__-

Actually if you go to your local office they have flyers that show the channel line-ups and rates for everything including fees.

msmisfit
join:2004-09-13
Atlanta, GA
ARRIS SB6121
Netgear WNDR3800

msmisfit to ToxicDrew

to ToxicDrew
I don't know how long you have been with Charter, but every year they send a listing in your bill of the current charges for all services, which I always hang onto, because some are sizable.
[It's also posted at their web site and worth reading if you haven't seen it.]

If they don't find a problem with their equipment/lines there is a charge to the customer. I don't pay the maintenance fee, and choose to pay if and when the wiring goes bad in my house.
dsl2cable
join:2006-02-11
Los Angeles, CA

dsl2cable to ToxicDrew

to ToxicDrew
said by ToxicDrew:

The problem I have is slow speed at night from 8 p.m to 10 p.m everyday. According to charter illegal cable hookups from a node somewhere in the neighborhood is causing it.

ToxicDrew
Premium Member

ToxicDrew to anon guy

Premium Member

to anon guy
said by anon guy :

said by ToxicDrew:

Actually if you go to your local office they have flyers that show the channel line-ups and rates for everything including fees.

Would it have killed them to take 5 extra seconds and tell me hey sir by the way we noticed you DO NOT have wire maintenance on your account and there will be a $45 dollar visit fee if we do not find a problem.
whoaru99
join:2003-12-17

4 edits

whoaru99

said by ToxicDrew:

Would it have killed them to take 5 extra seconds and tell me hey sir by the way we noticed you DO NOT have wire maintenance on your account and there will be a $45 dollar visit fee if we do not find a problem.

What would you have done upon having this knowledge, cancel the service call or signed up for the wire maintenance service?

FWIW, there is very little that can go wrong with the CATV wire inside your house unless you've been messing with it. Point being, the odds of a problem being due to the wire is slim.

It's kind of like buying an extended warranty. For 10% of people it was a good deal. They're happy as a clam they got a benefit. For the other 90%, well, they just paid into the kitty.

ToxicDrew
Premium Member

ToxicDrew

Premium Member

said by whoaru99:

said by ToxicDrew:

What would you have done upon having this knowledge, cancel the service call or signed up for the wire maintenance service?

FWIW, there is very little that can go wrong with the CATV wire inside your house unless you've been messing with it. Point being, the odds of a problem being due to the wire is slim.

It's kind of like buying an extended warranty. For 10% of people it was a good deal. They're happy as a clam they got a benefit. For the other 90%, well, they just paid into the kitty.

Yes I would have cancelled the service call and just accepted I had shitty service.