uniqs

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870 to gizmojoe

to gizmojoe

Re: Switching in a Comcast DTA breaks my Security Camera feeds

said by gizmojoe :

I have a Leviton CATV distribution system that allowed me to inject security camera feeds into my cable signal path to be viewed on all the TVs in my house on channel 78. Using a Leviton Distribution Module with a notch filter, (CATV 75-80 suppressed in the incoming CATV feed) my camera signals were run through a sequencer and modulater, the output of which became an auxilary input to the distribtion module. I was quite happy with this setup until Comcast shut off all the analog channels recently, forcing us to use thier Pace and Motorola DTAs. Now, with DTAs connected inline to each TV, I believe that the DTAs or totally ignoring my analog signal so effectively Comcast's mandatory technology upgrade has c**ped all over my 3K perimeter Security video capability investment. Anyone have any idea of how to get these adapters to 'shift' my channel to channel 3 on the TVs? Is there any 'reserved' channel on the input of these that will allow this sort of injection on analog to be presented in the convertor's output that that channel is selected?

where are you located? If your system does not use channels above 120 or for digital services you could use analog 125 for the camera feeds. You would need a single channel notch filter also what channel do you have on your tv that displays the digital adapter screen in the 60-78 analog range? That would be the channel to use as cable companies have a channel in that range that they have to keep analog modulation on to balance the amps.

Orlando 57
@comcast.net

Orlando 57

Anon

You will not be able to do this anymore. The DTA looks at digital channels only. Since your feed isn't a digital channel you can't tune it in.
and no you can't just make it a digital channel because the channels the DTA looks at have a label on them and will only decode those with the correct label.

gizmojoe
@comcast.net

gizmojoe to motorola870

Anon

to motorola870
So the idea of having AB switches hanging off the wall mounted flat screen is a real non-starter. There has to be an elegant way to do this and if there are truly Analog channels sent down the cable for diagnistic and balancing purposes, how would I identify those? Currently, in my area, Comcast bradcasts a test pattern on 753MHz but the DTA shows the same exact signal on VCs 75 and 77. On Channel 75, the Video PID is 0x09C0 and on Channel 77 the Video PID is 0x07c0 so I assume these are being broadcast as Digital channels and not Analog. How would I identify, in the DTA Info, which channels, if any, are Analog?

Orlando 57
@comcast.net

Orlando 57

Anon

DTA stands for digital transport adaptor. It will not look or show analog signals.
You say that the A/b switch is a non-starter. Well where is the DTA? An A/B switch is about the same size.
In order to use the DTA you would need equipment that can strip a digital channel, then take out one of the many SD channels on that digital channel then you would need to insert your CC feed and label it with a digital PID that the DTA could recognize. This type of equipment is quite expensive.

Why not do this. Run a new coax to the TV with just your CC feed. Hook it up to a second input on your tv and switch between the two. It will be just like changing channels but you are doing it with the TV remote and not the DTA remote.

Trust the people that have replied the easiest way to do what you want to do is with an A/B switch or the way I discribed.