GuruGuy

join:2002-12-16
Atlanta, GA
reply to GeekNJ

Re: [Chrome] CPU Usage way too high with Chrome

said by GeekNJ:

Chrome Version 25.0.1364.68 (Official Build 180609) beta-m
running on Windows 7 (64-bit)

I've noticed recently that Chrome is running "hot" with a very high CPU usage. With Chrome idle it fluctuates between 15% and 50%. This shows both in Windows Task Manager as well as Chrome's internal task manager where it reports about a 20% or so CPU usage with nothing going on. The high CPU reported here occurs with only a default tab open and showing either Google.com or default new tab with recently closed pages so it's not some content on a web page causing it.

If I launch Chrome with -incognito or --disable-extensions, I see no difference and CPU utilization remains the same so it doesn't appear to be any extension involved.

Launching FF on the same computer with just FF's one default tab results in CPU utilization below 5%.

Any suggestions for resolution or further troubleshooting?

That's a Beta version.
--
GuruGuy

GeekNJ
Premium
join:2000-09-23
Waldwick, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
said by GuruGuy:

That's a Beta version.

There's an obvious reply.

Other machines at home and work running the same version of Chrome don't experience the high CPU. Some of those Chrome installs are also synced to the one that was showing a high CPU and they were fine.

Late yesterday I uninstalled Chrome and re-installed the same beta version. Once resynced and the same extensions were running, the CPU was no running up to 50%.
--
Tweaked your connection? | Mail Parse | Speed Converter

Shootist
Premium
join:2003-02-10
Decatur, GA
kudos:3
Not sure it is Chrome. Could be something else on your system.
--
Shooter Ready--Stand By BEEP ********

GeekNJ
Premium
join:2000-09-23
Waldwick, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
said by Shootist:

Not sure it is Chrome. Could be something else on your system.

This shows both in Windows Task Manager as well as Chrome's internal task manager where it reports about a 20% or so CPU usage with nothing going on.

Chrome's internal task manager shows only Chrome and it was showing 20% CPU for the Browser process. The below picture is Chrome's internal task manager and on this machine shows the Browser task using 2% vs the 20% I'd see on the other machine.

--
Tweaked your connection? | Mail Parse | Speed Converter