uniqs

Abyss1992
Premium Member
join:2012-08-18
Spencer, WV

Abyss1992

Premium Member

No good desktop usage meter

why is there not a desktop that doesn't need to have access to your Viasat account for it to measure data i mean if Hughesnet can have one why can't Exede

EarthSignal
Earthsignal
Premium Member
join:2002-10-03
Burlington, IA

EarthSignal

Premium Member

Maybe you could explain your question a bit better?
ExSatUser
join:2012-05-10
Fresno, OH

ExSatUser to Abyss1992

to Abyss1992
I believe the question is is there a usage meter that can be placed on the desktop to show usage. The answer is yes, and it can be found here...

»realityripple.com/Softwa ··· Monitor/

Abyss1992
Premium Member
Spencer, WV

Abyss1992

Premium Member

i mean one that doesn't need to have a username and password just like the one with Hughesnet that goes what what the modem says and not what home base says

wm4bama
Goodwater, AL

wm4bama

There is a desktop utility that fetches usage from your SB2 modem counters and displays it...but it's not free...DR Strangelove left a link in one of his posts.

But if you just want to monitor what your modem sees as usage you can do that..just bookmark this link, when you access your modem status you can see the current count in lower-right hand of the "Modem" tab...but be aware that these counters reset to zero on power-cycles and also when new firmware is downloaded.

Click this link:

»192.168.100.1/

Abyss1992
Premium Member
Spencer, WV

Abyss1992

Premium Member

i know that but the byte counter in the modem itself is inaccurate and what can't people put out free tools
ExSatUser
Fresno, OH

ExSatUser to Abyss1992

to Abyss1992
I am not sure how it could be done without the username and password to access your meter. I suppose they could program something in the modem firmware to access the meter (if the usage request was coming from it), but beyond that, I think Reality Ripple is the best you are going to get, and that is not even from Viasat.

Abyss1992
Premium Member
Spencer, WV

Abyss1992

Premium Member

what a crappy design in software
DrStrangLov
join:2012-03-28

DrStrangLov

said by Abyss1992:

what a crappy design in software

Now buy one, and report back your comparison findings: »QuotaSatellite

wm4bama
Goodwater, AL

wm4bama to Abyss1992

to Abyss1992
If you use a router in your LAN then you have another option.

Install ddwrt in your router...it will keep excellent records and also show you what device is using what.

Download the correct version for your router and read the installation instructions carefully:

»www.dd-wrt.com/site/supp ··· database
RandyH3
join:2013-02-03
Decorah, IA

RandyH3 to Abyss1992

to Abyss1992
Try NetworX
DrStrangLov

DrStrangLov

said by RandyH3:

Try NetworX

Try NetworX...after buying this cheap router and converting it to DDWRT : ASUS RT-N10+

After converting it to DDWRT, you can use SNMP option, found in Networx's hidden menu.

caruso
Premium Member
join:2003-08-22
California

caruso to Abyss1992

Premium Member

to Abyss1992
Her's live broadband usage meter for desktop. I use it for two years, and is saving me a lots of embarrassment.
»www.rackeys.com/

wm4bama
Goodwater, AL

wm4bama

said by caruso:

Her's live broadband usage meter for desktop. I use it for two years, and is saving me a lots of embarrassment.
»www.rackeys.com/

The problem with this gadget, like most others, is it only measures usage on the computer it's installed on.

Most folks have a wireless router with many devices capable of using your internet connection and using a lot of bandwidth (usage).

A router based measurement tool is the best for those using wireless devices and more than one computer,
RandyH3
join:2013-02-03
Decorah, IA

RandyH3 to DrStrangLov

to DrStrangLov
Nice!

Neat free program also.
DrStrangLov

DrStrangLov

Software programmers of NetWorx are from Australia, where ISPs count databytes.

Sony Thinks It’s ‘Crazy’ That Aussie ISPs Have Usage Caps

When Planetside 2s multiplayer functionality went live last week, Aussies had a pretty terrible time of it. Between the massive lag and the issues logging in, the game was close to unplayable on the Australian server. The multiplayer service was eventually fixed, but not before Sony Online Entertainment threw a bit of mud at Australian ISPs.