uniqs

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr to belomeclone

MVM

to belomeclone

Re: I am following this guide, more wired connections?

If your primary router is connected to ONT by ethernet, then you have a choice of how you connect the Actiontec to your primary router. One advantage of WAN to LAN is the Actiontec will have 4 LAN ports. You'll only have 3 LAN ports free if you go LAN to LAN.

The disadvantage is the Actiontec subnet is not the same as your primary subnet, so devices on the Actiontec LAN cannot see the devices on your primary router. This might affect use of your NAS.

Number of devices will influence your choice.
belomeclone
join:2010-04-08

belomeclone

But if I plug my work's ethernet into the Actiontec, everything should work just fine, right?

I don't know why I don't just try it to be honest. A bit messy wirings back there. But that will work right?

As for buying a switch, if I already have the Actiontech why would I buy a third device that needs to be plugged in?

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr

MVM

said by belomeclone:

But if I plug my work's ethernet into the Actiontec, everything should work just fine, right?

Only thing that could be problematic is if "work's ethernet" primary router is handing out addresses in 192.168.1.x range. If that's the case, you will need to reconfigure the Actiontec for a different address range such as 192.168.0.x

Might be useful to provide more details of the network setup. Or you could just try it and see. You probably won't blow anything up.