share rss forum feed

tristen1230

join:2010-12-26
Belleville, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

Great Beta Testing Cogeco Speeds!

So first thing I did today was hook up my new Modem and got on the internet with Teksavvy! Decided to take a speed test and look was I got 14 down and 2 up on a 14 down and 1 up plan. Better speeds then I got with Cogeco. Also when downloading my internet topped at 16 down once.

I am very satisfied with their Cable for the Cogeco area so far.

TSILiz
Premium
join:2012-08-20
kudos:6

I have been on the 14 meg connection for over a year without an issue... Awesome to hear the connection is going well for you too!

TSI Marty
Premium
join:2012-11-22
Chatham, ON
kudos:5
reply to tristen1230

Awesome to hear things are going well!

Bugblndr

join:2010-03-02
Burlington, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to tristen1230

I found the exact same thing. Ordered the service Monday the 4th morning for install on Feb 14th, received modem on the 5th, and plugged it in "in case". Immediately got a TSI IP and the following on my 14/1 service.

So far I'm most impressed with the ease of install and the speeds delivered.

tristen1230

Belleville, ON

Same. I immediately got it to yesterday when I plugged it in. Did not want to say anything in case it was somehow Cogeco but with a Teksavvy modem and it said Teksavvy on speedtest. But I knew today was the day so I posted the great results.

mikee

join:2012-12-21
Gloucester, ON
reply to Bugblndr

how is your ping so low? i live 300miles from toronto and my ping is always 20-30 and you live 1300 miles and its only 8??? wow...!

tristen1230

Belleville, ON

I actually live in Belleville. For some reason it says I am in Yellowknife.

Bugblndr

Burlington, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to mikee

said by mikee:

how is your ping so low? i live 300miles from toronto and my ping is always 20-30 and you live 1300 miles and its only 8??? wow...!

I actually live 40-50 kms from Toronto. The IP geolocates to the North West Territories. I changed the test server that speedtest.net suggested from Winnipeg to Toronto.

mikee

join:2012-12-21
Gloucester, ON

Ohhh okay, makes sense then. Still better then Ottawa I live in Ottawa and I ping Toronto faster than I ping Ottawa strangely.

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to tristen1230

Ya for 2 months I had an IP address in the 192.0.0.0 range that gave me location in Yellowknife everytime I went to do a speedtest.

Thankfully routers don't care about location

ShetiPhian

join:2011-12-29
Belleville, ON
reply to tristen1230

Tristen this news makes me very happy, as I also live in Belleville.

Can't wait, I want TekSavvy Cable

Well I can but after waiting 2.5 years for Bell to change a wire I don't want to wait any longer

If everyone's results are like this it wont be long

tristen1230

Belleville, ON

Glad to here another Belleville person interested in Teksavvy. =) I am guessing it will soon be released. Just reached 17 Mbps while downloading!

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to tristen1230

said by tristen1230:

I actually live in Belleville. For some reason it says I am in Yellowknife.

As long as you are not REALLY in NWT.

Actually, there is a newly opened bridge for all year round access to there.

We used to have to take the ferry or wait for the ice to freeze enough to drive over it, back in the day.

And there were two not-so-short periods each year when we HAD to fly if to go there.

Anyway, that's encouraging performance you folks are having.

2Mbps is currently Cogeco's fastest speed profile for UP channel, but it IS what they now put on all retail plans of 14 DOWN and higher, effective as of this month.

»www.cogeco.ca/web/on/en/resident···pare.php

tristen1230

Belleville, ON

I wonder if Teksavvy should update that putting 2 Mbps up since they changed it.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

said by tristen1230:

I wonder if Teksavvy should update that putting 2 Mbps up since they changed it.

Has TSI posted anything about the beta speeds anywhere ?

The current profiles for their Chatham services do not apply here as they are thru the legacy TPIA arrangement.

tristen1230

Belleville, ON

No but I am guessing it is the same because when I signed up they gave me a Chatham postal code to select the package.

Bugblndr

Burlington, ON
reply to tristen1230

I asked about better speeds for the beta, since I had 30/2 service with Cogeco before. The only speeds on the beta are the same as the Chatham ones. I'm guessing they are waiting for a CRTC decision before ramping up.

veriphone

join:2011-01-29
reply to tristen1230

Almost in the same boat as you guys. Waiting on connection tomorrow. Tried connecting the cable modem and laptop to the cable line but no luck. I guess you have been with Cogeco up until now hence you have connection earlier. In my case it's been many yearsw since I left Cogeco so no current working line with them...
Oh well we'll have to wait until the Cogeco technician shows up tomorrow to connect me.

Bugblndr

Burlington, ON

Good luck with the install. In my case it had been 6 months since I was with Cogeco for internet but I still had them for tv. I've always had good success with Cogeco installs over the years so hopefully everything goes smoothly tomorrow for you.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

2 edits
reply to Bugblndr

said by Bugblndr:

I asked about better speeds for the beta, since I had 30/2 service with Cogeco before. The only speeds on the beta are the same as the Chatham ones.

I'm guessing they are waiting for a CRTC decision before ramping up.

AFAIK, it is a Cogeco and TSI thing, rather than a CRTC thing, as one other Indie provider already offers some of the same speeds as current Cogeco in their plans.

If you are getting 2Mbps for your upstream channel, then you are getting better than what the TSI site showed me last night for Chatham cable.

Chatham folks are most likely still getting the plans which they originally ordered, which are very generous in monthly usage caps for their prices, and which are not yet on the new AGG-POI, but which DO match what the TSI site shows.

OTOH, beta testers ARE on the new AGG-POI, and get whatever speeds that they wish youse to test, which may be higher than those Chatham plans, in one or both directions.

If you examine the Cogeco plans at my earlier link, you will get some idea what to expect for speed options when TSI 'takes this to the street'.

When TSI does that, I figger that they will update their site accordingly, and the main reason that they had y'all order there (and enter a Chatham postal code) was mostly that it was an automated way to gather your info, even if you would be on a different plan and located elsewhere.

What I was originally wondering was whether TSI had posted on DSLR what speeds for the beta folks to expect during testing.

And are youse all on D3 class modems ?

Bugblndr

Burlington, ON

When choosing speeds for the beta, the Chatham plans were what we had to pick from, I chose the 14/1 for now until they rollout the bigger packages. In my case, I got a Technicolor/Thomson 476 D3 modem to be future proof.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

said by Bugblndr:

When choosing speeds for the beta, the Chatham plans were what we had to pick from, I chose the 14/1 for now until they rollout the bigger packages. In my case, I got a Technicolor/Thomson 476 D3 modem to be future proof.

....which all sounds fine, and which saves them the chore of updating their site until later too, like when they have decided what plans and prices to offer.

But they can still play with (aka improve) your profiles as the testing progresses, and it sounds like they have, at least on the UP channel.

Glad you got the D3 modem, and best of luck.

tristen1230

Belleville, ON
reply to tristen1230

At the moment peak hour speed are around 10 Mbps down but still 2 up.

Bugblndr

Burlington, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by tristen1230:

At the moment peak hour speed are around 10 Mbps down but still 2 up.

I have found my speeds to be consistent regardless of the time or day since activated. I wonder if you're experiencing some local node congestion.

TSI Pierre
Baby, Wanna see what 300Gigs looks like?
Premium
join:2011-09-23
Chatham, ON
reply to tristen1230

Great to see updates and feedback, we are all looking forward to see this in full action!
--
TSI Pierre - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Chief Operating Officer

KnockKnock

join:2010-12-06
Chatham, ON
reply to tristen1230

For what it is worth, I am in Chatham and get 14down/ 2up now as well, for about the last week or so. I'm not sure why it changed, but I'll take it.

tristen1230

Belleville, ON

Cogeco raise the upload on there 14 plan which probably affected Teksavvys package. Just want to add that torrents download at 14 Mbps but speedtest keeps saying 10 Mbps. Weird

Bugblndr

Burlington, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by tristen1230:

Cogeco raise the upload on there 14 plan which probably affected Teksavvys package. Just want to add that torrents download at 14 Mbps but speedtest keeps saying 10 Mbps. Weird

Have you tried your speedtest picking a Toronto server instead of the Winnipeg one that it defaults to? I often use the »speedtest.cogeco.net server to test as well. If you're getting 14Mbps on torrents, you're getting full speed.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to Davesnothere

Chatham customers will also be receiving 14/2 and 16/2 as Cogeco replaced all 14/1 and 16/1 profiles with them. The POI type is irrelevant in that case.

The POI only becomes an issue with higher speeds as Cogeco only offers 20/2, 30/2 and 60/2 on the aggregate POI.

KnockKnock

join:2010-12-06
Chatham, ON

Pretty sure Chatham is now on aggregate POI, as of last week.