how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

hm

@videotron.ca
reply to icemasta

Re: The New Wireless Code Hearings. Live Stream @ 9-am

Wade Oosterman, one of the Bell guys sitting there, was involved in a small consumer backlash people bought some samsung phone and the Bell branded firmware prevented all samsung updates while the rest of the world got them.

People couldn't use Gmail and a host of other online sites.

Ellen Roseman of the Toronto Star got involved, and they said they fixed everything. But they never did. They lied to each of their customers + Ellen Roseman.

Quebec's Consumer Union then got involved. I don't recall what happened, but a class action was starting.

This is when Bell Canada closed their own online forum at Bell.ca due to the shear number of people who went there to complain. They couldn't keep up banning people from their forum for complaining, so they closed it.

People were stuck with a non-functioning "smart-phone" and stuck in a contract.

All this because of Bell branded firmware that locked people & updates out. As MaynardKrebs more or less stated, Firmware branding is the same as a lock. Even worse, it affects functionality.

hm

@videotron.ca
reply to icemasta

said by icemasta:

She's asking the right questions, but I wish she would push harder since she just agrees with little force about the BS Bell says.

JF will make sure they don't get away with it. Just you wait till he gets to speak.

Prepare your popcorn!

icemasta

join:2013-01-22

I hope so.

It's tough watching the amount of garbage Bell is saying and not being able to personally argue back at them.

@hm

I wouldn't put it past Bell to use that tactic.

MaynardKrebs
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to hm

Tabs: If it's this hard to explain then it only can have come from an incumbent.

MaynardKrebs
Premium
reply to hm

Q. If a customer fulfills their 36 month term and then rolls over onto month-to-month and own their own phone, why doesn't Bell give the customer a 10% plan discount?

A: Bell screws its customers all the time, contract or not.

icemasta

Q. If a customer fulfills their 36 month term and then rolls over onto month-to-month and own their own phone, why doesn't Bell give the customer a 10% plan discount?

A. Wade Oosterman - It's not related at all....

WTF
This is why I hate Bell.

mazhurg
Premium
join:2004-05-02
Portage La Prairie, MB
reply to hm

Unlimited is unlimited unless....

Talk about twisting the angels on the pinhead....

hm

@videotron.ca

said by mazhurg:

Unlimited is unlimited unless....

Talk about twisting the angels on the pinhead....

Unlimited is unlimited. Except when it's not unlimited per fair use terms. So if we say it's unlimited, it truly is unlimited. Well, except when someone uses unlimited because that would be abuse. But it's unlimited. Yes.

Sounds like one of their contracts...

icemasta

reply to mazhurg

"I work in the industry but don't know what a byte is..."

I agree all management might not and does not know every little detail about the industry but not knowing the very basics of the mobile industry that they work in is surprising.

mazhurg
Premium
join:2004-05-02
Portage La Prairie, MB
Reviews:
·MTS
reply to hm

My Name is Ma Bell. I offer you the following services: Rip your left arm, or rip your right arm so we offer only what the customer wants.

For proof, see how many half armed users out there? That they complain for the loss of their arm is minor, to be glossed over.

KVF

@videotron.ca
reply to icemasta

said by icemasta:

Allo I am KfV. I came out of retirement to clarify this for Bell.

1 byte = 1 millimumblehurtz
1000 Bytes = 1 mumblehurtz
1000 mumblehurtz = unlimited gigamahurtz*

* Except when it's not unlimited per fair use terms. So if we say it's unlimited, it truly is unlimited. Well, except when someone uses unlimited because that would be abuse. But it's unlimited. Yes.

hm

@videotron.ca
reply to mazhurg

The guy is speaking fast but did I hear that right?

"If people buy a phone, they only need to turn it off so they don't get charges or bill shock".

Did I misunderstand that?

MaynardKrebs
Premium

You fully mis-underestimated him.

MaynardKrebs
Premium
reply to icemasta

said by icemasta:

That's not all Oosterman doesn't know.

MaynardKrebs
Premium
reply to hm

Bell just stated that they unlock phones after 90 days, for a fee of $75.*

* due to overwhelming demand for unlocking, we have just increased our unlocking fee to $300. Hey, it's just the 'free market' operating based on supply & demand.

icemasta

1 edit
reply to MaynardKrebs

The fresh breath air yesterday from Mobilicity was needed before Bell's rants.

I hope Public Mobile later today and Wind tomorrow break down more of the Big 3's tactics to the un-sugarcoated reality.

MaynardKrebs
Premium
reply to hm

Simpson just pulled Bell's pants down, pointed, and laughed.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to KVF

At least Blais can speak English clearly and can ask intelligent questions.

MaynardKrebs
Premium
reply to hm

Oosterman is telling the CRTC that Bell offers better loan rates than a bank.

MaynardKrebs
Premium
reply to hm

Bell's Daniels is now asking why Apple doesn't finance handsets?
Well, Apple makes a cut of Bell's services revenues - so it's in Apple's interests to sell more phones via Bell. Apple offers phones direct to customers for outright purchase to avoid collusion charges.

icemasta

reply to MaynardKrebs

Rogers offers the iPhone cheaper than Bell and Oosterman's response is so they will earn a larger market share.

How does this guy become the president for Mobility?

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10
reply to MaynardKrebs

said by MaynardKrebs:

Well, Apple makes a cut of Bell's services revenues - so it's in Apple's interests to sell more phones via Bell. Apple offers phones direct to customers for outright purchase to avoid collusion charges.

JF heard that comment, and tweeted about this:
»store.apple.com/ca/browse/financ···dit_page

Apple apparently does finance purchases.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

hm

@videotron.ca
reply to MaynardKrebs

said by MaynardKrebs:

Bell just stated that they unlock phones after 90 days, for a fee of $75.*

* due to overwhelming demand for unlocking, we have just increased our unlocking fee to $300. Hey, it's just the 'free market' operating based on supply & demand.

At those ridiculous prices, no wonder people go to some shady site to get it done for 20$

CRTC should just endorse going to the black market since the industry is too crooked and greedy.

Shrug

@videotron.ca
reply to mlerner

said by mlerner:

We haven't even seen the final decision. It's a little premature to bash the CRTC on a decision

It doesn't matter. They aren't the ones who are going to rule on the constitutionality of anything.

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5
reply to resa1983

said by resa1983:

said by MaynardKrebs:

JF heard that comment, and tweeted about this:
»store.apple.com/ca/browse/financ···dit_page

Online only though, and it's through a third party bank, forget which one they use in Canada. Essentially they arrange a loan.

hm

@videotron.ca
reply to resa1983

said by resa1983:

Yeah. They always have done financing.

Also, Bell stated they aren't a bank. But isn't Bell (per all their media releases) going into this direction with the "smartphone wallet" to pay transit fares and whatever else via smartphone?

They are advertising themselves as a virtual bank in regards to this.

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5

Apple has only done financing in Canada since a year or two ago. They always did it in the US though.

And again they don't offer it themselves, it's all offered third party through Apple.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:22
reply to hm

All of Apple's phones except the 32 and 64 gig iPhone 5 are priced below the $750 minimum financing price, and don't qualify.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

MaynardKrebs
Premium

Future Shop probably finances.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:22
reply to hm

There's no advantage though. The financing is the same interest rate as a credit card (19.99%), you'll end up paying way more for the device.

Carrier subsidies are at least interest free.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org