how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

hm

@videotron.ca
reply to PIAC copsOUT

Re: The New Wireless Code Hearings. Live Stream @ 9-am

Telus stated they make little to no profit for the 35$ they charge people to unlock a phone because it costs them this much for a phone jockey to give you the unlock code and walk you through where to enter the unlock code.

scorpido
Premium
join:2009-11-02
New Hamburg, ON
kudos:1
reply to PIAC copsOUT

They cut it off ...lol Closed Door meetings??? lol

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5
reply to hm

said by hm :

Telus stated they make little to no profit for the 35$ they charge people to unlock a phone because it costs them this much for a phone jockey to give you the unlock code and walk you through where to enter the unlock code.

I could believe that in the case of Apple as I highly doubt Apple doesn't charge for the capability but otherwise that $35 is pure profit unless they overpay for data entry staff.

Cloneman

join:2002-08-29
Montreal
kudos:3
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Fibe
reply to hm

Please "like" my Comments on Day 1 if you agree with them. 3 key issues the CWTA was misleading the CRTC on.

»consultation.crtc.gc.ca/topic/co···ent-1441

mazhurg
Premium
join:2004-05-02
Brighton, ON
Reviews:
·MTS
reply to mlerner

said by mlerner:

said by Guspaz:

Whatever the CRTC or mlerner think, the CRTC does not have the jurisdiction to overrule Quebec's consumer protection laws.

The CRTC does not create laws. It creates regulation. Regulation cannot supercede laws.

I'm not sure about new regulations but that is not entirely correct. Regulations are a form of law as far as the Federal Government is concerned and the Telecommunications Act does take precedence over provincial as far as I understand.

Correction: Regulations derives from law; they cannot override their framework.

PIACluvsCWTA

@videotron.ca
reply to Cloneman

said by Cloneman:

Please "like" my Comments on Day 1 if you agree with them. 3 key issues the CWTA was misleading the CRTC on.

yeah the CWTA dummy explained to the commissioner that unlocking a phone is the same as taking apart your blender and playing with the electrical or machine parts.

What a buffoon. I hope the hell these clueless commissioners didn't fall for that BS.

geokilla

join:2010-10-04
North York, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to hm

Or you can watch it here... »www.cpac.ca/eng/direct/cpac2

said by PIACluvsCWTA :

said by Cloneman:

yeah the CWTA dummy explained to the commissioner that unlocking a phone is the same as taking apart your blender and playing with the electrical or machine parts.

What a buffoon. I hope the hell these clueless commissioners didn't fall for that BS.

They did. Listening and watching their facial expressions just before they took their lunch break, they both CRTC personnel and the "public" looked like they had no clue what they were talking about. In the end, CRTC gave them a lunch break to reorganize their thoughts. Then I knew that us Canadians are SOL and will continue to get raped. Only in Canada is rape legal..

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to hm

»consultation.crtc.gc.ca/comment/···ent-1181

I submitted comments to the crtc last week at the link above

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium
join:2002-05-20
London, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to hm

As much as I don't like the CRTC, it was refreshing to see them call Telus out on a lot of their policies and terms of service. Even more so when Telus responded with half-assed information. Requiring them to bring numbers and actual statistics to the table rather than their word.

Realistically, I don't even care much for Telus. It's Rogers and Bell whom I can't wait to see through this. I don't know their names (as they barely showed them while I was watching), but the blonde woman with the heavy accent seriously laid the smack down on Telus when they were blubbering and trying to skirt the issue with regards to the Quebec legislation passed. She simply asked how much it cost them and they were all too happy to say "Not much at all!" until she asked if they'd passed the cost on to the consumer. All of sudden their tune changed and they didn't want to give a straight answer and she did not let them slither out so easily.

This is extremely interesting to watch. I was extremely disappointed with some of the claims from Telus and so much miss-information was spewed. Which only heightens my desire to hear Rogers and Bell. We all know their B.S. is going to be notch!
--
Weeeeeee

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON
reply to mazhurg

said by mazhurg:

said by mlerner:

said by Guspaz:

Whatever the CRTC or mlerner think, the CRTC does not have the jurisdiction to overrule Quebec's consumer protection laws.

The CRTC does not create laws. It creates regulation. Regulation cannot supercede laws.

I'm not sure about new regulations but that is not entirely correct. Regulations are a form of law as far as the Federal Government is concerned and the Telecommunications Act does take precedence over provincial as far as I understand.

Correction: Regulations derives from law; they cannot override their framework.

I stand corrected but then the having the Provincial policies with the code might end up confusing for the average consumer if both will be in effect. I think there definitely needs to be a Canada wide policy so everyone in every province will know what to expect.

hm

@videotron.ca

Day 2. Live Stream

Telus just wrapped up this morning (Continued from yesterday).

Next up is supposed to be CIPPIC. See schedule, »www.crtc.gc.ca/telecom/eng/heari···1_02.htm

We will see if CIPPIC is going to be towing the sell-out PIAC party line.

hm

@videotron.ca

I believe CIPPIC Just stated that Provincial consumer laws should stay as is in order to further protect people (ie. class actions and more).

Will see if they say more on this matter during the question period.

piacLUVSbell

@videotron.ca
reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

I'm not aware of anywhere in the telecommunication act that gives the CRTC jurisdiction over provincial consumer protection laws...

Via CARTT.ca

"The Public Interest Advocacy Centre (PIAC) said it plans to file a legal opinion, commissioned by it and Bell Canada, on March 1 that says telecommunications is an exclusive federal jurisdiction and therefore any provincial legislation is unconstitutional."

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to mlerner

said by mlerner:

I stand corrected but then the having the Provincial policies with the code might end up confusing for the average consumer if both will be in effect. I think there definitely needs to be a Canada wide policy so everyone in every province will know what to expect.

We really don't need a Canada-wide policy if that Canada-wide policy is going to take away existing Provincial protections and help the wireless companies screw over consumers.

There is no added confusion to consumers, only providers. Consumers don't know about any the legal stuff behind this anyhow, all they know is what the law makes the carriers put into the contracts.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

Dunlop

join:2011-07-13
reply to hm

Sorry the consumer protections laws I have enjoyed the last few years in Quebec are fantastic, I would be quite upset if they were overridden to side with corporate interests

hm

@videotron.ca
reply to hm

Re: Day 2. Live Stream

Both a Canada wide one and a provincial one can co-exist. I see no confusion.

piacLUVSrogr

@videotron.ca

I missed most of the Rogers blabbing.

Only caught that they don't want provincial Consumer Protection laws to affect them. They want a watered down Canada wide code that is like what PIAC and the CWTA (industry lobby group) wants.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
reply to resa1983

Did I read that correctly? They've abandoned the 30 day notice requirement? The proverbial sacrificial lamb. It costs their nothing go do this, but gives the aura of " compromising".

mikee

join:2012-12-21
Gloucester, ON
reply to hm

»www.ctvnews.ca/canada/rogers-urg···.1153533

lol! rogers is so cheap. they dont want to take their hands out of everyones pockets yet xD

PIACluvsROGR

@videotron.ca

Rogers wants provincial Consumer Protection laws gone so that if they raise rates while you're in a contract they don't get hit with lawsuits.

Rogers states, "this single code in the best interest of consumers".

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10
reply to hm

OH this is hilarious.

Rogers has 11,000 different grandfathered plans.

Note that there can be hundreds or thousands on each grandfathered plan.

Blais picking up on 11k grandfathered plans @ Rogers, that people don't want to switch from. Maybe theres a reason: New plans suck! #wcoc
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

hm

@videotron.ca

LOL Resa, I chuckled when I heard that.

Seems most of their business is based on retentions and grandfathered plans because their rates suck so bad.

indeedy

@videotron.ca
reply to elwoodblues

Yeah CCTS already ruled against the 30-day thing about a year ago. And this is one of the problems with the CCTS. They *do not* put all their rulings out in the clear as they happen for all to see and be aware of. They hide rulings in a yearly report, those who bother reading the tiny detail they put out caught on to it. Otherwise people don't know.

This is what happens when the industry controls the arena (the CCTS).

---
Commissioner Molnar just rips Rogers bullshit so elegantly, and calls them out on it nicely. Aside from the CRTC chair, she is the one most on the ball. She is good.

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10
reply to hm

Let me qualify my previous comment a bit.

The new plans suck for individuals who have different needs.

For example, I was on the old old City Fido 12 yrs ago (prior to Rogers purchasing it) for $45/month, unlimited voice & text in Toronto.

These days, that'd be about $25-40/month, available from any new entrant, or incumbents bargain brand.

However, that was huge back then, as NO ONE was offering unlimited plans.

Of course, Rogers bought them up, and changed City Fido to have voice limits, and then increased the price of the grandfathered City Fido several times.

While fine for others, I stayed on the grandfathered City Fido until 1 1/2 yrs ago, as there really wasn't anyone else offering the same kind of deal - even with Rogers increasing grandfathered CityFido's price.

I'm now on Wind, which gives me the same plan I had before, with data, for $25/month.

Incumbents don't always want to create plans to suit a ton of people, so the new entrants are. The only thing holding them back are service areas so far.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
reply to resa1983

Because everyone has a different deal. They finally got smart and put expiration dates on any deals. If I hadn't gotten an Iphone still be on a plane from 7yrs ago.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to resa1983

said by resa1983:

While fine for others, I stayed on the grandfathered City Fido until 1 1/2 yrs ago, as there really wasn't anyone else offering the same kind of deal - even with Rogers increasing grandfathered CityFido's price.

I'm now on Wind, which gives me the same plan I had before, with data, for $25/month.

1.5 years ago, and long before then, CityFido was available for less than the $45 they charged 12 years ago. CityFido doesn't exist anymore, though, it was replaced with a $40 unlimited talk/text plan that doesn't have the CityFido zone restrictions.

Personally, I'm grandfathered on a $30/mth CityFido 2000 minute plan.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON
reply to hm

Anyone get a recording of today's events? I was only able to catch the first hour or so. I will provide FTP space if required.

LastDon

join:2002-08-13
reply to hm

I wonder why rogers and telus don't like the 50$ cap on data charges if the user goes over

thats where they probably get a lot of their money!

andyb
Premium
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario
kudos:1
reply to mlerner

said by mlerner:

Anyone get a recording of today's events? I was only able to catch the first hour or so. I will provide FTP space if required.

I dont as I only heard a bit of rogers before I shut it off in disgust. Full vid will be on cpac website tomorrow like yesterday is available now

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON

said by andyb:

said by mlerner:

I dont as I only heard a bit of rogers before I shut it off in disgust. Full vid will be on cpac website tomorrow like yesterday is available now

Oh thanks. I forgot CPAC was recording. I'll wait till tommorow then.