Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

hm

@videotron.ca
reply to icemasta

Re: The New Wireless Code Hearings. Live Stream @ 9-am

said by icemasta:

Daniels from Bell saying if Canada mandated unlocked phones, it's very likely Apple wouldn't supply Canada with iPhone is absurd. Verizon iPhone 5's are factory unlocked and I know some other users here said European phone need to be legally unlocked and I'm sure they also sell iPhone's.

Yup.
When you catch up to when JF talks, you will see him expose their lies.

icemasta

join:2013-01-22

Perfect. Can't wait to hear them as soon as Bell's done from my stream.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to creed3020

said by creed3020:

Wow this is an interesting segue. What shocked JF?

Just Bell's electric cattle prod.....but then again he expects that from them.

MaynardKrebs
Premium
reply to hm

Hey SaskTel - if your service was any good, you'd also be winning customers at practically no cost as they flee from Robellus.

It works both ways buddy. You aren't always on the short end of the stick.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to icemasta

said by icemasta:

Daniels from Bell saying if Canada mandated unlocked phones, it's very likely Apple wouldn't supply Canada with iPhone is absurd. Verizon iPhone 5's are factory unlocked and I know some other users here said European phone need to be legally unlocked and I'm sure they also sell iPhone's.

And I go can go to the Apple store and buy them unlocked. In fact they were unlocked here before the US was
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

hm

@videotron.ca
reply to MaynardKrebs

Click for full size
Sample Page
Click for full size
download2012-557-hea···on_2.pdf 378,325 bytes
Download This
Found a USB key on the street when I brought the kids skating on the Rideau this evening.

Not sure what it could be...

MaynardKrebs
Premium

said by hm :

Found a USB key on the street when I brought the kids skating on the Rideau this evening.

Not sure what it could be...

Just stuff the CRTC is NOT considering in these hearings.

hm

@videotron.ca

said by MaynardKrebs:

Ah. Guess I'll do what CRTC commissioners do...

*tosses the key and the info*

Anyone for a glass of kool aid?

MaynardKrebs
Premium

said by hm :

said by MaynardKrebs:

I hear that the cherry kool aid & cyanide is a killer combination.

mazhurg
Premium
join:2004-05-02
Brighton, ON
Reviews:
·MTS
reply to hm

said by hm :

said by MaynardKrebs:

I hear Bibic has a great flavour!
Expand your moderator at work

hm

@videotron.ca
reply to MaynardKrebs

Re: The New Wireless Code Hearings. Live Stream @ 9-am

said by MaynardKrebs:

I hear that the cherry kool aid & cyanide is a killer combination.

You can't kill the evil living dead.

MaynardKrebs
Premium
reply to hm

This US article is a great - and very current - read:

Contracts? We don't need no stinking contracts!
»www.zdnet.com/contracts-we-dont-···011299/?

All of this has changed, though, with the Nexus 4 on deck and unlocked iPhones increasingly available. The Nexus 4 in particular was never intended for sale through a carrier like most phones in the US. Rather, Google bypassed the restrictions, painfully slow Android updates, and other nonsense that carriers bring to the table.

And consumers have spoken. Google can’t keep this unlocked superphone in stock, even with the absence of 4G capabilities. Consumers also gladly plop down top dollar for unlocked iPhones, march out to their nearest convenience score, and activate their phone with a simple SIM card kit.

So why the change? Because contracts are expensive, restrictive, and rarely come with unlocked phones. .....

Most importantly, though, when consumers and businesses want to buy phones and tablets (the latter, by the way, will replace phones for many individuals who simply use VoIP and a headset to make calls through their tablet which is their primary computing and communication device) will go to the same places where they would purchase computers, networking equipment, televisions, or any other electronics. Consumers will buy unlocked devices from big box stores and businesses will buy them from VARs or direct from OEMs, and manage them in the cloud, allocating bandwidth as appropriate to users. Gone will be the days of buying phones at the Verizon Store.

Or, I should add, through expensive corporate contracts with Verizon or AT&T. And that's a good thing for everyone involved.

Can somebody tweet this ZDNET article to the CRTC? »zd.net/WMxlOx

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10

said by MaynardKrebs:

Can somebody tweet this ZDNET article to the CRTC? »zd.net/WMxlOx

Done.

»twitter.com/RessyM/status/302421795024297984
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

MaynardKrebs
Premium
reply to hm

I think the CRTC is slowly beginning to see that a single Code may be too difficult to properly implement because:
a) provincial codes are different and there may be constitutional issues
b) prepaid is different than post-paid
c) Big 3 and other incumbents will do anything they can to pervert the spirit/intent of any National Code
4) New entrants are offering the only relatively sane business practices/plan which are consumer friendly

Unless the CRTC is going to adopt the most stringent of each jurisdiction conditions and make it a mandatory condition of maintaining spectrum licences, this Code experiment is doomed to failure.

The only solution is for Parliament to legislate that handsets are sold separately from the service, and that the cell voice/data service is sold only month-to-month, or at most for a 1-year term.

That said, since the CRTC has said that competition issues are NOT on the table, we're going to wind-up with some bastardized Code which will be immediately challenged on constitutional grounds - jurisdictionally and interference in business practices. ROBELLUS will not go quietly into the night over this.

Bottom line - this week of hearings and all the effort leading up to it has been pointless. And I think I'm being optimistic in my view.

MaynardKrebs
Premium
reply to hm

Here's an interesting US MVNO provider
»www.net10wireless.com/#/

hm

@videotron.ca
reply to MaynardKrebs

Last day:
Friday, 15 February 2013

27. MTS Allstream (int. #1,072)

28. Saskatchewan Telecommunications (SaskTel) (int. #1,071)

29. Globalive Wireless Management Corp. (int. #1,045)

30. Quebecor Media Inc. (on behalf of Videotron G.P.) (int. #1,054)

31. The Commissioner for Complaints for Telecommunications Services (CCTS) (int. #1,028)

The three I am interested in are:

- Wind. Will they state the Canadian Market isn't worth it?

- Videotron to see their stance on the Consumer Protection issue, and since they're a new player, their stance compared to the big 3 and the CWTA/PIAC. And,

- CCTS.

icemasta

reply to hm

Didn't SaskTel already present yesterday?

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10

said by icemasta:

Yes.

This is MTS Allstream.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5
reply to MaynardKrebs

They can enforce certain elements of the code, maybe not all. And I'm not sure they have any power to enforce the sale and distribution of handsets as they don't regulate equipment at all.

So maybe not everything can be done under the code but they do have quite a bit of oversight in Federal regulation under the Telecommunications act.

icemasta

reply to resa1983

said by resa1983:

said by icemasta:

Yes.

This is MTS Allstream.

No I know, but I was just commenting on the lineup for today still lists SaskTel after MTS. I guess it'll go straight to Wind after MTS.

MaynardKrebs
Premium
reply to hm

Off to a meeting for the remainder of the day.
Hopefully some people can post anything interesting which pops up during the day. I'd expect to hear some interesting things from Globealive later today.

Thanks

icemasta

Does anyone know where I can catch the hearing for Feb 12th PM/Part2, the one with Rogers? CPAC sees to be missing the second half of hearings in their video archive.

mazhurg
Premium
join:2004-05-02
Brighton, ON
reply to hm

MTS - Another case of "unlimited" angels on a pinhead....

Better than some, but still taking liberties with the meaning of unlimited.

andyb
Premium
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario
kudos:1
reply to icemasta

said by icemasta:

Does anyone know where I can catch the hearing for Feb 12th PM/Part2, the one with Rogers? CPAC sees to be missing the second half of hearings in their video archive.

»www.cpac.ca/eng/videos/83734

icemasta

Thanks. Don't know why it didn't know up when I searched.

hm

@videotron.ca
reply to icemasta

said by icemasta:

CPAC said it should be online by this afternoon.

hm

@videotron.ca

Wind Q&A Session:
---

Not much of anything new in the Q&A session, other than this tidbit:

Wind stated that there are two platforms for billing (which *is* used for real time monitoring of usage and costs). They have:

1) Pre-paid Platform
2) post paid Platform

Pre-paid is in real time due to it runs on an account balance. So telco's/customers know right away of charges/usage. No bill shock. (before a call, or TXT is sent, the foreign carrier pings the Wind server for info on account balance and if they can make the call or not due to account balance etc, in real time)

Post paid is another system, and the foreign telco's only give the info of charges on average 48-hrs later. The odd country can be 30-days.

Commissioners wants to know why people just can't be use a pre-paid system for real time monitoring (which Bell, Rogers, Telus and the CWTA claimed was impossible).

Wind stated Some countries are not on board with the pre-paid system. But hinted it wasn't many (or common?) roaming countries. 90% of roaming is in the USA.

hmmm, I'd like to know which countries are not on board with the pre-paid platform... Can anyone find this info out?

This kind of kicks Bell, Rogers, Telus, and the CWTA in the teeth when they said it can't be done.

CRTC Chair asks:
Your AWS spectrum goes into Quebec from Ottawa. How do you manage this with Qc legislation?

Wind states they have no points of sale in Quebec (Quebecers in Gatineau go to them in Ottawa). They stated a lot of nothing and never answered the question. CRTC chair let it go...

CRTC chair states you have a lot of complaints compared to your foot-print, ~600 complaints. Why is it so high?

Wind states they are surprised from this as well. Said a lot of nothing, but never answered the chair's question (again)... Skated around the question.

Wind states the CCTS reports are not reflective of customer discontent.

Lunch time. Videotron up next.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23

said by hm :

Wind states they have no points of sale in Quebec (Quebecers in Gatineau go to them in Ottawa). They stated a lot of nothing and never answered the question. CRTC chair let it go...

Wind used to have multiple stores in Gatineau... Did they shut them all down?
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

ShetiPhian

join:2011-12-29
Belleville, ON

I just started watching these,

Bell (Claire Gillies) claimed they offer 10% off if your not receiving a device subsidy (for both fixed term and month to month) but my 3year team has been up for a year and I've never once received this discount nor have I ever been informed it existed. Instead I get bi-weekly text messages telling me I qualify for a new phone.