Expand your moderator at work

hm
@videotron.ca

hm to MaynardKrebs

Anon

to MaynardKrebs

Re: The New Wireless Code Hearings. Live Stream @ 9-am

said by MaynardKrebs:

I hear that the cherry kool aid & cyanide is a killer combination.

You can't kill the evil living dead.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to hm

Premium Member

to hm
This US article is a great - and very current - read:

Contracts? We don't need no stinking contracts!
»www.zdnet.com/contracts- ··· 011299/?

All of this has changed, though, with the Nexus 4 on deck and unlocked iPhones increasingly available. The Nexus 4 in particular was never intended for sale through a carrier like most phones in the US. Rather, Google bypassed the restrictions, painfully slow Android updates, and other nonsense that carriers bring to the table.

And consumers have spoken. Google can’t keep this unlocked superphone in stock, even with the absence of 4G capabilities. Consumers also gladly plop down top dollar for unlocked iPhones, march out to their nearest convenience score, and activate their phone with a simple SIM card kit.

So why the change? Because contracts are expensive, restrictive, and rarely come with unlocked phones. .....

Most importantly, though, when consumers and businesses want to buy phones and tablets (the latter, by the way, will replace phones for many individuals who simply use VoIP and a headset to make calls through their tablet which is their primary computing and communication device) will go to the same places where they would purchase computers, networking equipment, televisions, or any other electronics. Consumers will buy unlocked devices from big box stores and businesses will buy them from VARs or direct from OEMs, and manage them in the cloud, allocating bandwidth as appropriate to users. Gone will be the days of buying phones at the Verizon Store.

Or, I should add, through expensive corporate contracts with Verizon or AT&T. And that's a good thing for everyone involved.

Can somebody tweet this ZDNET article to the CRTC? »zd.net/WMxlOx
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

said by MaynardKrebs:

Can somebody tweet this ZDNET article to the CRTC? »zd.net/WMxlOx

Done.

»twitter.com/RessyM/statu ··· 24297984
MaynardKrebs
Premium Member

MaynardKrebs to hm

Premium Member

to hm
I think the CRTC is slowly beginning to see that a single Code may be too difficult to properly implement because:
a) provincial codes are different and there may be constitutional issues
b) prepaid is different than post-paid
c) Big 3 and other incumbents will do anything they can to pervert the spirit/intent of any National Code
4) New entrants are offering the only relatively sane business practices/plan which are consumer friendly

Unless the CRTC is going to adopt the most stringent of each jurisdiction conditions and make it a mandatory condition of maintaining spectrum licences, this Code experiment is doomed to failure.

The only solution is for Parliament to legislate that handsets are sold separately from the service, and that the cell voice/data service is sold only month-to-month, or at most for a 1-year term.

That said, since the CRTC has said that competition issues are NOT on the table, we're going to wind-up with some bastardized Code which will be immediately challenged on constitutional grounds - jurisdictionally and interference in business practices. ROBELLUS will not go quietly into the night over this.

Bottom line - this week of hearings and all the effort leading up to it has been pointless. And I think I'm being optimistic in my view.
MaynardKrebs

MaynardKrebs to hm

Premium Member

to hm
Here's an interesting US MVNO provider
»www.net10wireless.com/#/

hm
@videotron.ca

hm to MaynardKrebs

Anon

to MaynardKrebs
Last day:
Friday, 15 February 2013

27. MTS Allstream (int. #1,072)

28. Saskatchewan Telecommunications (SaskTel) (int. #1,071)

29. Globalive Wireless Management Corp. (int. #1,045)

30. Quebecor Media Inc. (on behalf of Videotron G.P.) (int. #1,054)

31. The Commissioner for Complaints for Telecommunications Services (CCTS) (int. #1,028)

The three I am interested in are:

- Wind. Will they state the Canadian Market isn't worth it?

- Videotron to see their stance on the Consumer Protection issue, and since they're a new player, their stance compared to the big 3 and the CWTA/PIAC. And,

- CCTS.
icemasta
join:2013-01-22

icemasta to hm

to hm
Didn't SaskTel already present yesterday?
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

said by icemasta:

Yes.

This is MTS Allstream.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26 to MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs
They can enforce certain elements of the code, maybe not all. And I'm not sure they have any power to enforce the sale and distribution of handsets as they don't regulate equipment at all.

So maybe not everything can be done under the code but they do have quite a bit of oversight in Federal regulation under the Telecommunications act.
icemasta

icemasta to resa1983

to resa1983
said by resa1983:

said by icemasta:

Yes.

This is MTS Allstream.

No I know, but I was just commenting on the lineup for today still lists SaskTel after MTS. I guess it'll go straight to Wind after MTS.
MaynardKrebs
Premium Member

MaynardKrebs to hm

Premium Member

to hm
Off to a meeting for the remainder of the day.
Hopefully some people can post anything interesting which pops up during the day. I'd expect to hear some interesting things from Globealive later today.

Thanks
icemasta

icemasta

Does anyone know where I can catch the hearing for Feb 12th PM/Part2, the one with Rogers? CPAC sees to be missing the second half of hearings in their video archive.

mazhurg
Premium Member
join:2004-05-02
Brighton, ON

mazhurg to hm

Premium Member

to hm
MTS - Another case of "unlimited" angels on a pinhead....

Better than some, but still taking liberties with the meaning of unlimited.

andyb
Premium Member
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario

andyb to icemasta

Premium Member

to icemasta
said by icemasta:

Does anyone know where I can catch the hearing for Feb 12th PM/Part2, the one with Rogers? CPAC sees to be missing the second half of hearings in their video archive.

»www.cpac.ca/eng/videos/83734
icemasta

icemasta

Thanks. Don't know why it didn't know up when I searched.

hm
@videotron.ca

hm to icemasta

Anon

to icemasta
said by icemasta:

CPAC said it should be online by this afternoon.
hm

hm

Anon

Wind Q&A Session:
---

Not much of anything new in the Q&A session, other than this tidbit:

Wind stated that there are two platforms for billing (which *is* used for real time monitoring of usage and costs). They have:

1) Pre-paid Platform
2) post paid Platform

Pre-paid is in real time due to it runs on an account balance. So telco's/customers know right away of charges/usage. No bill shock. (before a call, or TXT is sent, the foreign carrier pings the Wind server for info on account balance and if they can make the call or not due to account balance etc, in real time)

Post paid is another system, and the foreign telco's only give the info of charges on average 48-hrs later. The odd country can be 30-days.

Commissioners wants to know why people just can't be use a pre-paid system for real time monitoring (which Bell, Rogers, Telus and the CWTA claimed was impossible).

Wind stated Some countries are not on board with the pre-paid system. But hinted it wasn't many (or common?) roaming countries. 90% of roaming is in the USA.

hmmm, I'd like to know which countries are not on board with the pre-paid platform... Can anyone find this info out?

This kind of kicks Bell, Rogers, Telus, and the CWTA in the teeth when they said it can't be done.

CRTC Chair asks:
Your AWS spectrum goes into Quebec from Ottawa. How do you manage this with Qc legislation?

Wind states they have no points of sale in Quebec (Quebecers in Gatineau go to them in Ottawa). They stated a lot of nothing and never answered the question. CRTC chair let it go...

CRTC chair states you have a lot of complaints compared to your foot-print, ~600 complaints. Why is it so high?

Wind states they are surprised from this as well. Said a lot of nothing, but never answered the chair's question (again)... Skated around the question.

Wind states the CCTS reports are not reflective of customer discontent.

Lunch time. Videotron up next.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

said by hm :

Wind states they have no points of sale in Quebec (Quebecers in Gatineau go to them in Ottawa). They stated a lot of nothing and never answered the question. CRTC chair let it go...

Wind used to have multiple stores in Gatineau... Did they shut them all down?
ShetiPhian
join:2011-12-29
Belleville, ON

ShetiPhian

I just started watching these,

Bell (Claire Gillies) claimed they offer 10% off if your not receiving a device subsidy (for both fixed term and month to month) but my 3year team has been up for a year and I've never once received this discount nor have I ever been informed it existed. Instead I get bi-weekly text messages telling me I qualify for a new phone.

hm
@videotron.ca

hm to MaynardKrebs

Anon

to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

Hopefully some people can post anything interesting which pops up during the day.

Posted the relevent Q&A session for you. Their speech pasrt is still being held back. May show whenever you get back, or it's been deleted. No clue

Now you owe me one

Microbrew. pls & ty.
hm

hm to icemasta

Anon

to icemasta
Wind Mobile:
They have over 600K Subscribers

Wind states, The big 3 only want to strike down provincial legislations. This is why they are here. To make the CRTC do their dirty work so they can continue as is.

This single code is their stratagy to get around provincial legislations.

The Big 3 claim consumers love 3 year contracts (and the CWTA stated this as well). This is an anticompetitve agenda. Consumer groups and the compatition burea are showing a different story.

Bell's own study showed consumers like to change their handsets every 2 years. So why does Bell continue with 3 year contracts? It is because they make more money like this. Nothing else, for inflated profits.

They claim they (Bell) are on par with American AT&T, what they don't show you is AT&T's ARPU is less than Bell's.

In other words, Bell's study is BS.

Wind Supports application of the code to Pre-paid services.

The Big 3 create barriers that prevent customers leaving thus, thus it decreases competition. This is supported by the Competition bureau.

Subsidy amounts are inflated.

Q&A time now.
hm

hm to ShetiPhian

Anon

to ShetiPhian
said by ShetiPhian:

I just started watching these,

Bell (Claire Gillies) claimed they offer 10% off if your not receiving a device subsidy (for both fixed term and month to month) but my 3year team has been up for a year and I've never once received this discount nor have I ever been informed it existed. Instead I get bi-weekly text messages telling me I qualify for a new phone.

Yes, this is part of the bait to lock you in that those opposed to Bell, Rogers, PIAC, TELUS and the CWTA are stating.

Bell Stated people qualify for a price decrease upon contract completion. But they won't do it automatically and will only do so if you call in. In other words, once you call in their job is to sell you on another contract ASAP.

I believe the 10% may be something else. Not sure.

So in that year you have been off contract, if you haven't called in to demand lower cost, then they have (and knowingly have) been over-charging you by 20$ or so. CRTC has brought this out in the open.
hm

hm to Guspaz

Anon

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

said by hm :

Did they? Hmm rings a bell, but I really don't remember.

mazhurg
Premium Member
join:2004-05-02
Brighton, ON

mazhurg to hm

Premium Member

to hm
Videotron: We have our users well trained, after many "shocks".
icemasta

icemasta to hm

to hm
said by hm :

Wind Mobile:

Subsidy amounts are inflated.

Once again Wind contradicts themselves. They should check out their own companies Nexus 4 pricing and then tell their customers that their pricing isn't inflated.

hm
@videotron.ca

hm to MaynardKrebs

Anon

to MaynardKrebs

Day5. Live Stream

CRTC Chair to MTS: Something like 70% of the population where you are serving are French speaking. Do you offer French Contracts?

MTS: Um, er, um, er, fair question. No.

CRTC Chair to MTS: How do you make sure people are aware of the contractual conditions

MTS: We explain it to them with our bilingual sales people.

hmm...
hm

hm to icemasta

Anon

to icemasta

said by icemasta:

Thanks. Don't know why it didn't know up when I searched.

Cuz it wasn't there. It was just put online. CPAC's twitter feed explained it.
LastDon
join:2002-08-13

LastDon to hm

to hm

Re: Day5. Live Stream

said by hm :

CRTC Chair to MTS: Something like 70% of the population where you are serving are French speaking. Do you offer French Contracts?

MTS: Um, er, um, er, fair question. No.

CRTC Chair to MTS: How do you make sure people are aware of the contractual conditions

MTS: We explain it to them with our bilingual sales people.

hmm...

is this true? lol gosh

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to hm

MVM

to hm

said by hm :

said by Guspaz:

said by hm :

Did they? Hmm rings a bell, but I really don't remember.

They still show up on Google Maps, for one thing.