uniqs

hm
@videotron.ca

hm to MaynardKrebs

Anon

to MaynardKrebs

Re: The New Wireless Code Hearings. Live Stream @ 9-am

said by MaynardKrebs:

Hopefully some people can post anything interesting which pops up during the day.

Posted the relevent Q&A session for you. Their speech pasrt is still being held back. May show whenever you get back, or it's been deleted. No clue

Now you owe me one

Microbrew. pls & ty.
hm

hm to icemasta

Anon

to icemasta
Wind Mobile:
They have over 600K Subscribers

Wind states, The big 3 only want to strike down provincial legislations. This is why they are here. To make the CRTC do their dirty work so they can continue as is.

This single code is their stratagy to get around provincial legislations.

The Big 3 claim consumers love 3 year contracts (and the CWTA stated this as well). This is an anticompetitve agenda. Consumer groups and the compatition burea are showing a different story.

Bell's own study showed consumers like to change their handsets every 2 years. So why does Bell continue with 3 year contracts? It is because they make more money like this. Nothing else, for inflated profits.

They claim they (Bell) are on par with American AT&T, what they don't show you is AT&T's ARPU is less than Bell's.

In other words, Bell's study is BS.

Wind Supports application of the code to Pre-paid services.

The Big 3 create barriers that prevent customers leaving thus, thus it decreases competition. This is supported by the Competition bureau.

Subsidy amounts are inflated.

Q&A time now.
hm

hm to ShetiPhian

Anon

to ShetiPhian
said by ShetiPhian:

I just started watching these,

Bell (Claire Gillies) claimed they offer 10% off if your not receiving a device subsidy (for both fixed term and month to month) but my 3year team has been up for a year and I've never once received this discount nor have I ever been informed it existed. Instead I get bi-weekly text messages telling me I qualify for a new phone.

Yes, this is part of the bait to lock you in that those opposed to Bell, Rogers, PIAC, TELUS and the CWTA are stating.

Bell Stated people qualify for a price decrease upon contract completion. But they won't do it automatically and will only do so if you call in. In other words, once you call in their job is to sell you on another contract ASAP.

I believe the 10% may be something else. Not sure.

So in that year you have been off contract, if you haven't called in to demand lower cost, then they have (and knowingly have) been over-charging you by 20$ or so. CRTC has brought this out in the open.
hm

hm to Guspaz

Anon

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

said by hm :

Wind states they have no points of sale in Quebec (Quebecers in Gatineau go to them in Ottawa). They stated a lot of nothing and never answered the question. CRTC chair let it go...

Wind used to have multiple stores in Gatineau... Did they shut them all down?

Did they? Hmm rings a bell, but I really don't remember.

mazhurg
Premium Member
join:2004-05-02
Brighton, ON

mazhurg to hm

Premium Member

to hm
Videotron: We have our users well trained, after many "shocks".
icemasta
join:2013-01-22

icemasta to hm

to hm
said by hm :

Wind Mobile:

Subsidy amounts are inflated.

Once again Wind contradicts themselves. They should check out their own companies Nexus 4 pricing and then tell their customers that their pricing isn't inflated.

hm
@videotron.ca

hm to MaynardKrebs

Anon

to MaynardKrebs

Day5. Live Stream

CRTC Chair to MTS: Something like 70% of the population where you are serving are French speaking. Do you offer French Contracts?

MTS: Um, er, um, er, fair question. No.

CRTC Chair to MTS: How do you make sure people are aware of the contractual conditions

MTS: We explain it to them with our bilingual sales people.

hmm...
hm

hm to icemasta

Anon

to icemasta

said by icemasta:

Thanks. Don't know why it didn't know up when I searched.

Cuz it wasn't there. It was just put online. CPAC's twitter feed explained it.
LastDon
join:2002-08-13

LastDon to hm

to hm

Re: Day5. Live Stream

said by hm :

CRTC Chair to MTS: Something like 70% of the population where you are serving are French speaking. Do you offer French Contracts?

CRTC Chair to MTS: How do you make sure people are aware of the contractual conditions

hmm...

is this true? lol gosh

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to hm

MVM

to hm

said by hm :

said by Guspaz:

said by hm :

Wind states they have no points of sale in Quebec (Quebecers in Gatineau go to them in Ottawa). They stated a lot of nothing and never answered the question. CRTC chair let it go...

Wind used to have multiple stores in Gatineau... Did they shut them all down?

Did they? Hmm rings a bell, but I really don't remember.

They still show up on Google Maps, for one thing.

hm
@videotron.ca

hm to LastDon

Anon

to LastDon

Re: Day5. Live Stream

said by LastDon:

said by hm :

hmm...

is this true? lol gosh

Sad ay.
hm

hm to hm

Anon

to hm

Videotron Speech:

The big 3 are well ahead of us by 20-years. We are one of the new entrants.

Translator mumbled and messed up how many people they have. grrr

Quebec's Bill 60 came in 2.5 years ago. They have done much good. Everyone agrees including the suppliers.

Translator is messing up... so some parts are garbage... :/

Translators Mic now cut out and hissing... no clue what's being said. :/

Stated: follow framework of Bill C-60.

Any code that allows customers freedom of choice is welcome and any code that empowers them also benefits us, unless we tell you it costs us too much to implement. heh

No use.. translator sucks big time....

They do not agree with PIAC.... translator stuttering too much to make out the rest.. (sigh) I should have listened in French.

Videotron offers apps to it's users to monitor all usage. They will allow the code/app to be downloaded and shared for other to use. But it has limitations... too much stuttering by translator to make it out... unbelievable :/

Was short. Q&A time now.

They switched translators. I think she gave up... (I hope). Was likely listening to nails across a blackboard.

Commissioner Poirier:
In regards to C-60 and the new code:
If you follow new standards is there a problem?

Tron: It can cause us problems/costs and interfere with our other projects to follow a new code.

20K people grabbed their free app to monitor their usage (almost real time).

Commissioner Poirier:
Wants to know about real time notifications

Tron: We have this, but not in full compliance with your code. We wants tools to help the consumer but, the costs is very high to implement this to tell people when they hit 50%, 75% or 100% of their usage.

This is why we instead went with the app that is free. They can do it themselves. Less expensive. Plus it's almost in real time.

Notification can be done in a different way (via their app).

So summery:
Bill shock can be prevented by the customer themselves with the app instead of pushed notifications which will cost us money to implement.

Commissioner Poirier:
How many complaints are you getting? Volume of people going over their cap?

Tron: We don't have the figures. we... I think the translator is messing up... didn't make sense at all... :/

For all the steps involved in notifications, it will cost millions. Our platforms at this time can not accommodate all the info/notices you want. We are limited to pushing notifications at two percentage levels 1) When you reach the cap 2) unstated.

Thus why we went the app direction.

I think Tron stated the app is for Data only because people don't get bill-shock via SMS's and phone or roaming on phone. Sheez.

So in other words, only 20K people out of about 1/2-million have the app and it's for data only. Sounds very, very weak and like BS. They just don't want to spend the money to implement a code or notify people.

No notification = better profit.

Commissioner Poirier:
On the topic of a summary (print-out) of all services and costs before the contract is signed.

Videotron says: a print-out summary of all services and costs should not be used by people to compare contracts between providers. Nor do they want to include everything the commission wants in that summary.

Commissioner Poirier:
On topic of Contract changes.

TRON:
Customer can cancel the contract if not in agreement with contract changes, as per Quebec law. (should be noted, PIAC, Bell, Rogers, Telus and the CWTA are against this. Want to keep the customer locked in after a "material change" in service).

Tron Stopped 1 and 2 year contracts because Quebec law doesn't lock them in (as bad). People pay off the subsidy and go if they want to leave after 2 years in a 3 year contract. Per the formula in the Quebec law.

95% of Tron customers on 3-yr contract.

Commissioner Poirier:
On device prices:
She says if I buy your phone outright it's 499$. With a contract it's 399$. So I can buy your service and contract, cancel and go elsewhere?

Tron:
Yeah you could, if you find a provider on the same spectrum.

Commissioner Poirier:
Locked versus unlocked

Tron prefers locked to maintain customer base and benefits.

Tron does not offer a service to unlock phones.

Hunh... so if someone does leave them, they have to go black-market to unlock their phone in Quebec w/ Videotron.

Tron said it will take some time to come out with, or think of a service to unlock devices. Effort is required (employee training etc).

Tron says they agree with the commission for unlocking, but not with notifications.

Commissioner Poirier:
After the contract term comes to an end, how much does the customer bill drop by? Or what discount do they get?

Tron: We don't know. Haven't been operating for 3 years yet. We have no answer.

In about 6 months people will be in this situation...

Commissioner Poirier:
How long will it take for the industry to adapt to our new code?

Tron: We don't know. 18-months for us.

CRTC CHAIR:
you have 240 complaints at the CCTS. How many are wireless?

Tron: half (120)

CRTC CHAIR:
What are the nature of the complaints?

Tron: Usage is the main complaint, termination charge. Breakage of devices

CRTC CHAIR:
But your online tool (app) takes care of usage?

Tron: Yeah but this is a small number of complaints.

...CRTC Chair just made the case for notification and not their app, I think.

CRTC CHAIR:
On personalized Summaries for people to be informed prior to signing contract

Tron:
Don't have. Too expensive, Much development needed. skirting the issue.
If we produce a contract before a contract is signed, it will cost us time and money to develop.

CRTC Chair:
How much?

Tron: No clue. We will file it.

My thoughts,

They are scared of a tougher code. Don't want customers informed and to be able to better shop around while informed. Refusing to unlock = screwing the customer to them only. Don't want people informed via notification cuz w/o it generates money.

Branded-firmware was not spoken about...

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to hm

Premium Member

to hm
Has anyone seen yesterday's pm vidoe I can't seem to find it on the site.

Though it might ff cache, but I can't find anything with Chrome either.

hm
@videotron.ca

hm to Guspaz

Anon

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

They still show up on Google Maps, for one thing.

None show on "their" google map of stores in that region:
»www.windmobile.ca/en/pag ··· age.aspx

Maybe they did pull out? No clue.

On their website (just for the heck of it)
»faqs.windmobile.ca/custo ··· ustomer-

I do not live within WIND network coverage. Can I still be a WIND customer?
Last Updated: Nov 09, 2011 12:38PM EST
Yes, you can. If you’re shopping online, be advised that we only ship to British Columbia, Alberta and Ontario.

They exclude shipping devices to Quebec.

Also,

»faqs.windmobile.ca/custo ··· -quebec-

Is WIND available in Quebec?
Last Updated: Jan 23, 2013 12:17PM EST
Your WIND mobile phone will work in Quebec, but at this time we do not have WIND stores in the province of Quebec.

Hmm...
hm

hm to elwoodblues

Anon

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

Will likely be up on Monday...
Check their twitter feed for any info?
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to hm

Premium Member

to hm
said by hm :

said by MaynardKrebs:

Hopefully some people can post anything interesting which pops up during the day.

Posted the relevent Q&A session for you. Their speech pasrt is still being held back. May show whenever you get back, or it's been deleted. No clue

Now you owe me one

Microbrew. pls & ty.

I'm partial to Creemore original or Amsterdam Blonde (who wouldn't be - there's got to be some way of making an emoticon showing a guy drooling)

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium Member
join:2002-05-20
London, ON
Netgear R7000
Asus RT-N66
Hitron CODA-4582

nekkidtruth to hm

Premium Member

to hm
You know what's awesome? Listening to these carriers piss and moan about costs and all sorts of other crap that basically makes it seem like they'll lose the shirt off their backs if there are any changes made to their current business model...

All the while, released $400+ million profit margins for a quarter.

I truly hope the CRTC are smart enough to see through all of this B.S.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to hm

MVM

to hm
They show two of them in this search:

»maps.google.ca/maps?q=wi ··· bec&z=14

hm
@videotron.ca

hm

Anon

said by Guspaz:

They show two of them in this search:

»maps.google.ca/maps?q=wi ··· bec&z=14

I see that...
hm

hm to elwoodblues

Anon

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

Feb 14th PM (part 2) is up now, just checked.

Guess Feb 15 will likely be Monday, unless they work Saturdays and Sundays (laff).
hm

hm

Anon

Feb 15th:
Nova Scotia changes regulations on cellphone contracts and cancellations
»www.montrealgazette.com/ ··· ory.html

Under the changes to the Consumer Protection Act, cellphone contracts can be cancelled at any time and the government says mobile phone users could pay as little as $50 to do so.

Consumers will still be on the hook for buying out equipment if they cancel their contacts early, however.

The government says cellphone companies will also be prevented from changing major parts of a contract including services, costs, fees or locations where the phone can be used without permission from a customer.

The changes will only affect cellphone contracts that go into effect May 1.

If PIAC, Bell, Rogers and Telus get their way, no one in Nova Scotia will have any Consumer Protection rights.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

said by hm :

Feb 15th:
Nova Scotia changes regulations on cellphone contracts and cancellations
»www.montrealgazette.com/ ··· ory.html

It's no wonder the incumbents were chomping at the bit for a National Code of Conduct at this time....... Nova Scotia has been working on this for some time - like since this time last year
»www.thetelegram.com/Cana ··· e-bill/1

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to hm

MVM

to hm
That first part is the same as what we have in Quebec and in the CWTA proposal in front of the CRTC (about the ETFs). The second part, well, neither Quebec nor CWTA proposal involves completely blocking contract changes entirely, they just ensure sufficient notice is given.
morisato
join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON

morisato to hm

to hm
My question which i wonder if has been asked yet is ,a Subsidized phone with a subsidy of 500 dollars over 36 months, vs one with a subsidy of 650 or 700 etc.. over the same period Has the difference in Said Subsidy been addressed? ie one person with 15 dollars, credit vs 20 dollar per month yet Receiving the Exact same contract?

does anyone understand what i am trying to say?

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium Member
join:2002-05-20
London, ON
Netgear R7000
Asus RT-N66
Hitron CODA-4582

nekkidtruth

Premium Member

said by morisato:

My question which i wonder if has been asked yet is ,a Subsidized phone with a subsidy of 500 dollars over 36 months, vs one with a subsidy of 650 or 700 etc.. over the same period Has the difference in Said Subsidy been addressed? ie one person with 15 dollars, credit vs 20 dollar per month yet Receiving the Exact same contract?

does anyone understand what i am trying to say?

Currently, plans are the same regardless of subsidy amount. I get what you're saying though. If John signs a contract on a $400 phone and Jill signs a contact on a $600 phone, both being subsidized, is there a difference in their plan/contract amount? The answer currently is, no.

Edit: Which is entirely ridiculous.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to hm

Premium Member

to hm
I loved JF's comments... the incumbents will answer your questions, but they won't volunteer anything...

So true...

hm
@videotron.ca

hm to Guspaz

Anon

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

The second part, well, neither Quebec nor CWTA proposal involves completely blocking contract changes entirely, they just ensure sufficient notice is given.

What is significant is, when there is a change to a contract with a minimum of 30-days notice, the Quebec consumer has the right to opt-out and cancel the contract.

The CWTA, Telus, Bell and Rogers do not want people to be able to leave the contract when they change anything. Telus is on record as saying they want the right to change the contract w/o recourse.

Let us look at what is going on in the Telus forum right now.

1. »Cap Reduction CCTS complainants unite!

2. »CRCT complaint about Telus reply

Someone in Telus land can correct me if I'm wrong here: I believe Telus lured people into a contract with free laptops or something, then unilaterally changed the service from 500-gigs to 250-gigs and telling their beloved customers they are still locked in and can't do anything about it.

This is what the CWTA, Telus, Bell and Rogers want.

Do you think that is right?

In Quebec that would cause a contract cancellation, if the customer *chooses* to do so. Or it would end up i another Class Action (more on Class Action below).

Now to circumvent the CCTS, Telus watered down their terms and conditions to mention nothing about usage. The CCTS rules on terms and condition. So Telus turned around and told their customers, well we changed nothing in the terms and conditions so the CCTS can't do anything for you. Some guy called the CCTS and they seemed to more or less agree.

That sound right to you?

There is a very big and significant difference to what Telus, Bell, Rogers and the CWTA wants, and what goes on in Quebec.

In regards to the Class Action. Again, Bell, Telus, Rogers and the CWTA are on record for taking your provincial Consumer Protection rights away in favour of a national federal code to be administered by the CCTS. They publicly stated this will stop class actions against us when we lock people in and then change contracts terms on them.

Is that fucked up or what?

Not only do they want to remove your consumer rights, they want you right to go to court removed as well.

Very, very big differences in what they want versus what we have Guspaz. And this code will affect more than just Cell.

And PIAC is support all this. They are truly a piece of work.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to hm

MVM

to hm
Huh, when I read the proposed regulations the CRTC came up with based on CWTA's stuff, it was not as you described, it enabled cancelling the contract.

hm
@videotron.ca

hm

Anon

Not what I saw based on what Bell, Rogers, and Telus stated.

You might want to review the parts they had had to say about contract changes and class actions.
hm

hm

Anon

BTW, does anyone know of an app to rip the videos from the cpac site? before they are taken offline?