Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

[WIN8] Win 8 and XP file loss

I think this may be related to »[WIN8] Disk check hosed XP drive

I took a disk out of an XP machine and put it in an HP Win8 machine. Only to fined out too late that it loss a couple of gigs of pictures from a folder. I think this is a hint, all the remaining files had a new date of yesterday.

To make it worse, I plugged in an external drive that had a backup and it happened to that as well. These were pictures of my grandson so I had 2 backups.

Not being totally dumb I figured no more win8 for the XP disks. I connected the last one to an OLD XP as external and there they were.

The question is, what's happening.
--
--
--
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." - Aldous Huxley

mmainprize

join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI

Could it be the files are in a USER directory, and only that USER has access rights.

Go to the folder where the pictures should be and take ownership of the folder and files.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
reply to SparkChaser

Do these 'lost' files reappear if you plug the disk back into the XP system?

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by dave:

Do these 'lost' files reappear if you plug the disk back into the XP system?

The original XP machine is dead. The older one can't take SATA drives. The external drive when pluged into the XP via USB shows the files as missing and 2/10/2013 for the date of the remaining folders.

I should be more exact. What went missing are sub folders and all their files. So, what I had was a DRIVE->FOLDER->SUBFOLDERS->FILES.
What is missing is some of the subfolders and their files. The remaining subfolders had their date changed.

Plugging the external drive into a win7 laptop gives the same results.
--
--
--
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." - Aldous Huxley

Gem
Premium
join:2005-09-10
kudos:4
Reviews:
·CableOne

The main thing is the lost folder with your pictures.

Do you have backups for them that have not been "lost" by the Windows 8 fiasco?

If so, the next thing is what happened in W8 and how to solve whatever caused the loss of files.

That will be of interest to all of us who are also in the process of deciding whether to go forward with upgrading to W8 or to go back to XP Pro on all of our computers.