IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Anti-trust

Obviously AT&T did not learn a lesson from the Bell divestiture. Their stock tanked somewhere to the tune of 77 percent or so when they were broken up.

Having T-Mobile in the equation keeps prices in check. I currently have Verizon but T-Mobile adding the iPhone to their fleet should keep Verizon from raising rates. The iPhone is one of the most popular phones and people will pay a premium for the privilege of owning one. I pay over $200 per month to Verizon as I have six devices.
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope

Premium Member

To my knowledge TM is not/won't be selling the iPhone, they are only adding the 1900Mhz spectrum to support the iPhone. Also, TM will stop sub'ing phones. But, as I understand it, subb'ing the iPhone costs carriers a lot more then subb'ing other phones as Apple gets a premium for them. So subb'ing the iPhone actually costs carriers more then other phones.

Phone plans are phone plans... TM does not make any more on ones sold to iPhone users.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

said by tcope:

To my knowledge TM is not/won't be selling the iPhone, they are only adding the 1900Mhz spectrum to support the iPhone. Also, TM will stop sub'ing phones. But, as I understand it, subb'ing the iPhone costs carriers a lot more then subb'ing other phones as Apple gets a premium for them. So subb'ing the iPhone actually costs carriers more then other phones.

Phone plans are phone plans... TM does not make any more on ones sold to iPhone users.

Actually T-Mobile is adding the iPhone to their fleet but without subsidies. »www.macworld.com/article ··· ies.html
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope

Premium Member

Thanks for the info. I suppose TM could offer just about any phone... at full retail.

I think I've come to like their approch and I think it's a good one since the AT&T failed to bully their way into more customers. I can see where the other carriers may need to follow suit and offer reduced plan rates for people without a contract. I can also see it lowering retail phone prices.

Who this _really_ helps is Google and the Nexus line.

But hey... if it pulls one customer away from AT&T I'll be happy.