Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia

Distributel : NTTP throttled?

No point in calling them, they're almost as bad has the trained monkeys Rogers has.

I can't get above 20mbit , no matter how many connections , or to what servers i have or time of day. So I figured it's my d2 modem, and would eventually bite the bullet and get a D3.

However, if I combine NTTP with say some torrents, I get the full 28mb I'm used it.

Anybody have any ideas?
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON
You say no matter what servers did you check yer news providers not limiting u to 20 mbits?
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.

Anonymoose

@mo2.ca
reply to elwoodblues
NNTP isn't throttled on distributel. That said, I found that some news providers weren't able to get full speed. For example, Astraweb and Usenetserver couldn't, but Supernews will max out my pipe with distributel no problem.

jeneral

join:2010-11-19
Mississauga, ON
reply to elwoodblues
I'm on Distributel using a Motorola SB5100 (D2) and I average 3.2-3.4 MB/s downloads on non-peak hours. I have tried a few different providers and I have noticed that some are faster than others at various times of the day.

Keep in mind that some European providers sell their services on a speed basis (100Mb, 50Mb, etc...).

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5
reply to elwoodblues
Throttling don't know, I do know Acanac has implemented some throttling but I think DSL only.

I will say again though I think people were claiming otherwise, Distributel has poor peering and transit which I have not seen addressed entirely except for one post claiming they knew about it 6 months later and I've seen some very inconsistent results when I had their service.

alexpb1

join:2005-06-23
Barrie, ON
reply to elwoodblues
I have Distributel 28/1 in Barrie.
No throttling. I get 3.3MB/s to 3.4MB/s any time of the day. In fact, when I add a new download and speedboost kicks in, I see upwards of 7MB/s temporarily.

There was a short period last year where speeds were terrible during peak time (like EXTREMELY bad) but I think they must have done some upgrading because it doesn't matter the time of day now, I can max out my line on Usenet.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to Anonymoose
I found in the past Astra gave me full blast, but with the illegal automatic takedowns I dropped them.

I have 3 providers, and I set all 3 to max connections ill never get above 20mbit

alexpb1

join:2005-06-23
Barrie, ON
reply to elwoodblues
Try a free 5GB trial from »www.usenetbucket.com
They only require an email address to send you your account details. They also allow up to 50 connections.
I max out easy with 15-20.

DuPie

@distributel.net
reply to elwoodblues
I can confirm no protocol throttling is done on their network currently.

eeeaddict

join:2010-02-14
reply to elwoodblues
you sure? earlier today I got 3200KBPS on highwinds with like 8 connections

eeeaddict

join:2010-02-14
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Distributel Cable
reply to elwoodblues
sign up for a trial with these guys (just need email no card or anything) I use them as a backup and they always seem fast
»alphaload.iload-usenet.com/
oh and make sure to add @iload-usenet.com after username
use: newsfarm.iad.highwinds-media.com as server address