hdman
Flt Rider
Premium
join:2003-11-25
Appleton, WI
Reviews:
·exede by ViaSat

Usage and DirecTV system

Before anybody rants on Exede or DirecTV, please know, I have been a WB and Exede user from very early on. I know the upsides and downsides, and am familiar with the DAP, etc.

My point of this post is to possibly identify an issue that I seem to have resolved with my DAP problems lately. To start off, I have NEVER had an issue with going over my FAP/DAP until recently. The last 2 months I have gone over by a few gigs. Now, the system is still very usable when you are DAP'ed so no issues there.

However, I had a new DirectV installation and I have the new Genie system which is also connected to my network because of some of the features I thought I might use. Well, this system has been the culprit all along. I placed a switch in plain site of my couch so that I could visibly see traffice usage from the DTV system. Now, be aware, MANY (not all) of the On-Demand channels use your broadband connection. I knew that going in, and never used it.

However, nobody will confirm this at DTV, but I can positively state that the Genie system USES data regardless of whether or not you watch On-Demand programs. It is my belief that many of the apps get their data and updates via broadband. How do I know this? Its simple. I disconnected the DTV from my broadband and my usage is dropping off like a hot potato. Over the course of 1 week, I used 3G of data.....but the funny part is, I never used a PC at home. My DTV was doing SOMETHING, but I can't figure out what. Its no big deal, because I disconnected it, went another week of little PC usage, and I onle used a few MB. I have lost no features of my Genie that I use, and I can't tell what else I may lose, simply because I'm not using them.

The bottom line is this if you have DTV and it is connected to your Exede or WB, disconnect it. Now. It is eating bandwidth.

Remember, I didn't post this to start a debate over DAP/FAP, etc. I like my Exede and I LOVE the new Genie system from DTV. They just don't play nice together when you add in the DAP issues. Thats all.
--
The proper way to break in a Harley: Grab a fist full of throttle, and ride it like you stole it!!!

wm4bama

join:2012-05-10
Goodwater, AL

If DTV is like Dish, many times during the week they will send trailers and previews of programs/movies they are advertising, hoping it will interest you in buying or watching them.

Customers using Exede and Dish Network connected to their internet also report usage large enough that they disconnected it from their routers..

Both DTV and Dish also download from your unit a history of what you've been watching so they can sell that info to program providers...

It's best not to leave your DTV receiver connected to your internet service...
--
Exede12, ViaSat-1, beam 342, Albuquerque Gateway, Denver AcceleNet servers

OldSatUser

join:2012-05-10
Fresno, OH
reply to hdman

While I never leave it plugged in unless I use it, I did notice my Blu-ray player pulling miscellaneous data down when loading a disc. The disc automatically accessed some website to pull down trailers and what not.

Just like devices pulling electric when they are not even turned on, best to leave internet ready devices disconnected from your network.

JSheridan

join:2006-07-03
USA

I've been doing an experiment this month. I hooked up our Dish Hopper to the Exede and have been using it to watch TV remotely on my cell phone and laptop. Haven't used the Exede for anything else this month, just the Hopper and a couple of speed tests on the computer. Haven't used it to watch TV too much but I've used it a bit and since the 28th when the meter reset it says I've used .6GB with 9.4 remaining. Not bad...

Now on the other hand, last month I downloaded a show from SciFi on the Hopper from Dish on Demand and it was 1.2GB for one HD one hour show.

Brushmonkey

join:2013-02-14
Winona, MN
reply to hdman

The Genie with a Cinema Connection Kit will download and store newer movie releases to it's drive in hopes that you will purchase some of them on demand. We sell both services and learned early on not to install a CCK for the Genie if the customer has satellite internet. It can gobble up the DAP limit in a matter of days.

JSheridan

join:2006-07-03
USA

said by Brushmonkey:

The Genie with a Cinema Connection Kit will download and store newer movie releases to it's drive in hopes that you will purchase some of them on demand. We sell both services and learned early on not to install a CCK for the Genie if the customer has satellite internet. It can gobble up the DAP limit in a matter of days.

Thanks. We do both systems too and haven't been hooking up either to satellite internet. I think we're gonna start hooking up Hoppers if the customer is OK with it, but not Genies at all.

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa
kudos:5
reply to hdman

said by hdman:

Now, be aware, MANY (not all) of the On-Demand channels use your broadband connection.

You mean there are some (even one?) on-demand channels that don't need broadband? How?

I'm fortunate that I have DSL in my home location, and I do connect my receiver there and occasionally use on-demand. On the road I just don't hook up the ethernet port.
--
Author of hnFAP-Alert, PC-OPI and DSSatTool

hdman
Flt Rider
Premium
join:2003-11-25
Appleton, WI
Reviews:
·exede by ViaSat

The channels in the 1000 range are called "on demand" but are actually streamed from the bird. Thats at least what the DTV tech said. But then again, he was at a loss when I told him about the data usage when NOT watching on demand stuff. So who knows.....
--
The proper way to break in a Harley: Grab a fist full of throttle, and ride it like you stole it!!!

Brushmonkey

join:2013-02-14
Winona, MN

None of the 1000 range channels come from the bird. If you have Exede, then yes, they come from the ViaSat1 bird. If you notice that when you first install the CCK those channels are not available until sufficient download has taken place. That also explains why you can't watch those shows until they download from the web.