Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

PIAC throwing cellphone users under the bus

It looks as though PIAC has opted to side with Bell at the CRTC hearing regarding a national wireless code:

»wordsbynowak.com/2013/02/11/piac-wireless/

Someone might want to let the Public Interest Advocacy Centre that Bell operates pretty much everywhere except for in the public interest.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23

PIAC give as their reasoning that Bell is defying Quebec's wireless laws, and the Quebec government isn't taking them to task because they know they don't have a legal leg to stand on...

Umm, what? Please point out an example of Bell flouting Quebec's wireless codes. After Quebec passed those laws, all the telecom companies updated their contracts to reflect the changes. I've not heard of any issues with compliance...
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

Indeedy

@videotron.ca
reply to El Quintron

Yup they did.

They are even happy in supporting Bell and Rogers in trying to pass something that would ignore provincial consumer protection laws (which PIAC also joined them in commissioning).

Pretty sad when the Big telco's can push to trump provincial laws.

To my understanding all the consumer groups are coming out for this. Not sure where the Consumer Union stands though. They are on stage today. Will maybe see.

But what I also understand is that the consumer groups are trying not to bring the issue up and have not provided documentation for this as well.

said by El Quintron:

It looks as though PIAC has opted to side with Bell at the CRTC hearing regarding a national wireless code:

Very much so.

You should copy paste it to the "Hearings" topic already going on this...

Agreed

@videotron.ca
reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

Umm, what? Please point out an example of Bell flouting Quebec's wireless codes. After Quebec passed those laws, all the telecom companies updated their contracts to reflect the changes. I've not heard of any issues with compliance...

Nor I.

The only likely scenario I see is someone running to the CCTS because they don't know what to do, and the CCTS themselves ignoring it and favouring the telco instead.

This is the only thing I can see.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

PIAC give as their reasoning that Bell is defying Quebec's wireless laws, and the Quebec government isn't taking them to task because they know they don't have a legal leg to stand on...

Jason J Kee (a lawyer for ESAC) was also making those claims on Twitter, I'm also going to assume it's an empty argument, because it's unlikely that an carrier would appeal provincial consumer protection law to the federal government.

EQ
--

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Indeedy

said by Indeedy :

Looks like you beat me to it
--

PIAC Koolaid

@videotron.ca

said by El Quintron:

said by Indeedy :

Looks like you beat me to it

Yeah PIAC morons got my blood boiling. They are going to lose a lot of supporters.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by PIAC Koolaid :

Yeah PIAC morons got my blood boiling. They are going to lose a lot of supporters.

Indeed. I won't be supporting *any* of their stuff in the future over this.

I'm also going to be sending them a tersely worded letter or email over this.

EQ
--