uniqs

CoxVegas
join:2011-07-25
Las Vegas, NV

CoxVegas to BillRoland

to BillRoland

Re: [ALL] Cox Router Abbreviations

said by BillRoland:

I believe "ws" stands for Business or "wholesale" IP.

Yep.
said by BillRoland:

I've found Cox is wildly inconsistent in reverse DNS naming for their equipment, when they bother at all.

It tends to vary a fair bit by market - internally our addressing is consistent, but the DNS names can get missed.

chrisf8657
join:2002-01-27
Glendale, AZ

chrisf8657

CoxVegas,

I don't see any reason it's "super duper secret". It's handing out a reverse DNS. Simply knowing what "wsip" stands for doesn't allow me any ability to do anything. It's almost comical to debate it.

And, I'm curious because I want to know where the packets go (what each router could be) on their way out to the Internet.

It's just a personal computer-tech type interest.

BoltPride,

Seen that. Like I said some are out of date now. Thanks tho.

CoxVegas
Las Vegas, NV

CoxVegas

said by chrisf8657:

CoxVegas,

I don't see any reason it's "super duper secret".

Because the lists I have has more than just IPs and hostnames.

Anyway, the names are fairly straight-forward, like I mentioned. Using those abbreviations and the other posts on here, you can get a general feel for where things go.

Mind you, if *I* were running things, I'd name our routers at a major peering center in California something like "cisco2600.fe10.anchorage.ak.cox.net" just to mess with people.
bchandler02
join:2011-07-08
Oklahoma City, OK

bchandler02

said by CoxVegas:

Mind you, if *I* were running things, I'd name our routers at a major peering center in California something like "cisco2600.fe10.anchorage.ak.cox.net" just to mess with people.

Why not go all out and really screw with people? "lnksysbefsr11.okc.ok.cox.net"

CoxVegas
Las Vegas, NV

1 recommendation

CoxVegas

said by bchandler02:

Why not go all out and really screw with people? "lnksysbefsr11.okc.ok.cox.net"

How'd you know the name of our Chicago peering router?

BillRoland
Premium Member
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL

BillRoland to CoxVegas

Premium Member

to CoxVegas
said by CoxVegas:

It tends to vary a fair bit by market - internally our addressing is consistent, but the DNS names can get missed.

I'll grant that, but take a look here for instance: »[ALL] Blizzard traceroutes to Chicago

Most Cox equipment has no reverse DNS presented, and some have ancient Cox DNS names like coxinet.net. Granted, it has no impact on service at all, but its nice for power users and helpful when things aren't quite right.

Level3 is an example of somebody who does a good job with RDNS.