Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

grg2323

join:2013-01-21
Elgin, IL

WOW Ultra TV Question

Hello all,

Previously my Ultra TV gateway was in a room where I had a dual coax wall jack. The gateway was plugged into one port and a TV was plugged into the other. I had to move the gateway to my living room where I have only had a single coax jack. So I had to use a 2 way1 Ghz splitter which currently has the gateway plugged into one port and the TV plugged into the other. Since I moved them, I have been experiencing periodic pixelation and issues with On Demand channels loading. Does WOW recommend using a higher Ghz splitter? Thanks for your help!!....Greg

rtrllc

@wideopenwest.com

No wow recommends that you call them if you want to move the gateway. They are wired a certain way for a reason. You need a dedicated line for the gateway.

alan92rttt

join:2012-02-27
reply to grg2323

My install has on cable coming into my Den which hits a splitter. The splitter connects to the gateway and the TV.

This cable is direct from their box on th house. Their is a second cable going from their box to the TV in the living room. The system has worked for the last year.

Its really all about signal strength. If the splitter is a good two-way that does not degrade the signal it should be fine.

grg2323

Elgin, IL

Thanks for the replies. I have one line going from the box on the house that is then on a splitter to the jacks in the house. So I am not sure if that matters. Does anyone know how to measure signals? The last tech at my home had an app on his cell phone.

AlexE4

join:2006-12-16
Park Ridge, IL
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..

As for splitters, they shouldn't affect communication between the gateway and media extenders. As the above poster stated, it's all about signal. A "dedicated line" doesn't make any sense. You're free to move the gateway around as you like as long as the signal in your home is fine. What's generally NOT recommended is installing an Amp on the line before the gateway, but that isn't your case here. To check your signal levels (the easiest way), you'll need to be connected to the gateway with a computer/smart phone (anything with a browser). Visit »192.168.100.1 and your upstream and downstream signal levels will be displayed. Although I'm currently at work and cannot test the following, the Media Gateway should have an OSD menu that can be accessed by holding the menu and OK button on the box itself, then using the remote to navigate. Signal levels for the device should be displayed somewhere in there.

grg2323

Elgin, IL

Thanks Alex. Do you know what are good level ranges?

grg2323

Elgin, IL
reply to AlexE4

Alex, Sorry one more question.....

Do you know a good way to extend or have the ability to use another Wireless access point since the WOW Ultra gateway range is horrific? Thanks again

AlexE4

join:2006-12-16
Park Ridge, IL
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..

Signal Level Question:
»Cable Modems and Wiring Issues »What kind of signal levels do I want on my cable modem?

As for extending range of the wireless, take a look at my reply to the thread below. I can elaborate more if you're confused, just let me know!

»Extending wireless range of the Arris Gateway?