how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

chrisd11

join:2009-05-18
Hernando, MS

700Mhz antenna for Verizon 4G?

I want to get a parabolic grid for my 4G Verizon service. 700Mhz is the correct one to get, right?

And for those of you who have one, where did you get it? I got my 2.4Ghz from L-com, but looking at their site, I don't see where they carry a 700Mhz.

Max Signal
Premium
join:2008-03-07
Buffalo, NY
kudos:1

There is not one . Here is a great multi band Yagi at a reasonable price.

»www.wpsantennas.com/TS221071---T···dic.aspx

chrisd11

Hernando, MS
reply to chrisd11

I found two here. One with 12 dbi gain and one with 15. Would these work?

»www.excel-wireless.com/700-mhz-g···nna.html

The only thing that worries me about getting the grid rather than a multi-band antenna like the yagi you posted is sometime down the road isn't Verizon supposed to take LTE off the 700mhz frequency and put it on 800 or 1900? That would make the grid useless, I guess.

Max Signal
Premium
Buffalo, NY

1 edit

Exactly , you will eventually find LTE on other frequencies after the in initial rollout is done . The next phase will be voice over LTE phones as well

chrisd11

Hernando, MS

Thanks Max. I think I'll give that yagi a try.

Wild Bill

@myvzw.com

I have a 850 mhz antenna that from L-Com that works great even now that I've upgraded to LTE. 9 miles away from the tower near line of sight. UML290 and MBR1000 router. -75 db

I have seen 700 mhz parabolics, here...
»www.zdacomm.com/700-mhz-antenna/

Didn't end up needing one. More than happy with what I've got.

stenman

join:2007-03-07
Salinas, CA
reply to chrisd11

With 3G I found that the parabolic grid worked much better than a much more expensive Yagi I first bought. When I was looking for a 4G antenna all I could find were the Yagi type. If I had realized that there were parabolic for the Verizon 4G LTE frequencies I would have gone that route.

Parabolic grid is also preferred by the birds in my area including a couple of red shouldered hawks so it may be a "greener" choice.

stenman

join:2007-03-07
Salinas, CA

15 versus 12 dbi is a difference of 50% in terms of signal strength so I would definitely go with the 15 dbi antenna and hope that it really provides this gain.

chrisd11

Hernando, MS
reply to chrisd11

I wound up going with a multi-band panel antenna. I'm about 7 or 8 miles from the tower and have nowhere near line of sight so I was wary of the yagi. Anyway, without the antenna I would get 1 bar on the mifi and very unstable signal. I've got the panel antenna in my attic and I'm getting 2 bars and 5-7 SINR and I get consistent downstream speeds of 7-13m. I could probably get the grid and get a better signal and even better speeds (which I may do down the road), but for now now I am very happy with the speeds I'm getting after coming from the Sprint 3g plan.

»3gstore.com/product/2875_wilson-···453.html

Twohot

join:2012-12-19
USA
reply to Wild Bill

said by Wild Bill :

I have a 850 mhz antenna that from L-Com that works great even now that I've upgraded to LTE. 9 miles away from the tower near line of sight. UML290 and MBR1000 router. -75 db

I have seen 700 mhz parabolics, here...
»www.zdacomm.com/700-mhz-antenna/

Didn't end up needing one. More than happy with what I've got.

I have the same 850 Mhz grid antenna purchased from L-Com which I've been using for the past few years for Verizon 3G and just today have picked up 4G LTE service on my new UML290 with an RSSI of -79 and SINR holding around 20.

I'm getting amazing speeds at the moment (20-23Mbps down) and I'm wondering how well a 4G LTE amp would work with this grid antenna that isn't 700Mhz. Does anyone have any idea if it will be compatible and improve the speeds/ping the same as it would with a 700Mhz grid antenna or will adding the 4G amp to a 850Mhz antenna make the signal worse?

Here is the amp I was looking to buy:

»3gstore.com/product/3580_cellpho···ier.html

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4

you're getting 20-23 Mbps down and you want more than that ... why?
--
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/

Twohot

USA

Why not? Might as well get the fastest speeds I can .

I'm using an antenna meant for 3G, no amp, and 5.5+ miles from the tower so I'm sure there's room for improvement since I'm only getting 3 bars and -79 RSSI signal at the moment. I'm especially interested in lowering the ping further because I play online first person shooters.

My only question is whether a 4G LTE 700Mhz amp will work properly on a 824-960 Mhz grid antenna since I'm able to currently pull in 4G LTE on it or am I going to have to change to a 700Mhz grid antenna.

Max Signal
Premium
Buffalo, NY

said by Twohot:

Why not? Might as well get the fastest speeds I can .

I'm using an antenna meant for 3G, no amp, and 5.5+ miles from the tower so I'm sure there's room for improvement since I'm only getting 3 bars and -79 RSSI signal at the moment. I'm especially interested in lowering the ping further because I play online first person shooters.

My only question is whether a 4G LTE 700Mhz amp will work properly on a 824-960 Mhz grid antenna since I'm able to currently pull in 4G LTE on it or am I going to have to change to a 700Mhz grid antenna.

Your money waste it if you must . At a certain point your speeds will not improve no matter how much power you have . Jim is trying to be a nice guy and offer you an honest opinion . Besides a those single band LTE amplifiers will be white elephants before your warranty runs out . Verizon will be launching LTE on 1700 and 2100 by the end of the year as well . And also on 800 and 1900 in certain markets . Better to hold out for a multi band amplifier to cover all those frequencies . Anyone that advises you that you need that product is just trying to separate you from your money and could care less about what you need.

Twohot

USA

Well I appreciate your opinions guys on what you think is a waste of money and what frequency bands Verizon will be moving to in the coming months or years but none of that has to do with my question.

I only want to know if a 4G LTE 700Mhz band amp will function properly and improve my 4G signal on the 800-900Mhz grid antenna I'm using. If it will then I'll buy one and see just how much it improves my speeds and ping times since right now I'm only getting 3 bars at -79 RSSI which is good but not great. If it doesn't help at all then I can return it, it's as simple as that.

I spend 8+ hours a day online for business and $200 is a small price to get my internet running at it's max potential, especially after being stuck on 3G for the last few years.

Max Signal
Premium
Buffalo, NY

1 edit

-79 is an very good signal !!! bars mean nothing . It is the RSSI that is important . -79 on one device may be full bars and on another device 3 . Every Manufacturer uses different logarithms to display their bars. Adding an amplifier at -79 is overkill and you may over power the tower , and harm other users. Then you have a carrier engineer or the FCC at your door.
Do what ever you want . Just offering the facts . Good Luck .

Twohot

USA

3 edits

said by Max Signal:

-79 is an very good signal !!! bars mean nothing . It is the RSSI that is important . -79 on one device may be full bars and on another device 3 . Every Manufacturer uses different logarithms to display their bars. Adding an amplifier at -79 is overkill and you may over power the tower , and harm other users. Then you have a carrier engineer or the FCC at your door.
Do what ever you want . Just offering the facts . Good Luck .

Overpower the tower with a 3w amplifier that is FCC approved? I was using the same type of amp last year on the same tower for months with 3G without issue and while it didn't really improve my speeds since I was already getting a -55 to -60 RSSI signal and hitting near the max speeds 3G is capable of using just the parabolic grid antenna, it made the speed more stable without as much fluctuation and lowered pings.

Due to the much higher speed capability of 4G LTE though I would say an amp could very likely boost my average speeds a little higher since I'm using an antenna that isn't even built for the 700Mhz band and so that is why I'm going to try one and see. I just thought I would ask first if anyone has any idea how the 700Mhz amp will function with a 800-900Mhz band antenna.

Max Signal
Premium
Buffalo, NY

Do what ever you want . Just giving you the facts . Yes an FCC approved amplifier can over power a tower and knock other users off their devices . And at a -79 signal adding an amplifier will not likely improve your speeds . Where is your ping . The only way I would consider adding an amplifier is if your ping was over 250.

There are many factors involved that effect speed that you have no control over . These factors are
1) How many Fiber lines are run to the tower you are connected to
2) How many other users are connected to that tower
3) How are those other users using or abusing the available bandwidth
4) Overall Network traffic with your carrier