horacebork
Premium
join:2011-03-17
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·voip.ms

2 edits

[Voip.ms] "dead" incoming call

not sure really what it is, but the incoming call was 'dead'.
the caller calls, i get a successful caller id and when i pick up, it's 'dead' i cannot hear anything on the other end.
the caller then called back and the connection worked.

this is voip.ms and it seems to just have started happening *right* after my successful number port to their service last week. =(

panasonic kx tgp-500, voip.ms value routing

[edit]
just switched to houston for my server. not sure if that will help, but others complained about ny routing in january.

--
".. the sofa has just vanished." ".. well, that's one mystery less."

lilarry
Premium
join:2010-04-06

Could the caller hear you on the "dead" call?

Audio issues are usually firewall related. If you can get into your router, open up UDP ports 10000-20000 (port triggering). See what happens.

horacebork
Premium
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·voip.ms

i am using no firewall for this device. it is connected to an apple airport extreme wireless router. is there a configuration on the wireless router that i should know about?

i am considering putting an ethernet switch in front of the wireless router so that i can connect both my wireless and telephone sip device "directly" into the cable modem.
--

ancodia

join:2006-07-10
reply to horacebork

Just curious, is your # in the GTA area?

kenja00

join:2009-01-28
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to horacebork

I've been with voip.ms for several years now... Haven't had a single problem until the last few months and have been getting dropped calls and dead air on incoming calls (or delays -- dead air for about 5 seconds, then I can talk)

Not sure if something changed on their end, but nothing changed on this end, so it does seem strange.

I was using NY, and have switched to Dallas on their request. Haven't been able to see if it's made a difference yet or not.

horacebork
Premium
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·voip.ms

.. until the last few months and have been getting dropped calls and dead air on incoming calls (or delays -- dead air for about 5 seconds, then I can talk)

this just about describes what i was experiencing with the dead incoming call. also i noticed there is a distinct delay before we can talk sometimes. they recommended i use g711u (pcmu) as my first codec, so i did that. haven't fully tested it.

they also suggested that i plug the phone directly into the cable modem to test. which is all well and good, but i can't live for long like that as i need internet connectivity for my day-to-day work.

Not sure if something changed on their end, but nothing changed on this end, so it does seem strange.

as an old software guy, i know: things can break without any actual change on one side or another. what happens is that intervening software or hardware changes and "upgrades" their service. then you discover that you were relying on someone else's bug (or feature) that might have been fixed (or broken) and now you're stuck.

it's hard to say, but there is so much layering between any voip provider and a telephone that the problems could be anywhere. the best you can do is report the issue and if the supplier is responsible, they can begin troubleshooting.

however, without repeatability, solving problems becomes a game of chasing one's own tail. fun while it lasts, but mostly unproductive. =)

I was using NY, and have switched to Dallas on their request. Haven't been able to see if it's made a difference yet or not.

right. i changed to houston for the time being. just for the fun of it. i don't have time to niggle with this, so if this one stops being reliable, i will just try another and then another. one of them has to be ok, right?
--

crazyk4952
Premium
join:2002-02-04
united state
kudos:1
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·Vitelity VOIP
·Charter
·Callcentric
reply to horacebork

said by horacebork:

not sure really what it is, but the incoming call was 'dead'.
the caller calls, i get a successful caller id and when i pick up, it's 'dead' i cannot hear anything on the other end.
the caller then called back and the connection worked.

This just happened to me this morning. I am on the Houston server.

MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium,VIP
join:2008-07-21
kudos:3
reply to horacebork

What adapter are you guys using?

I'm on the houston server, never had an issue in 5 years. Using OBIHAI at the moment behind DOUBLE NAT on top of it.

Checked tickets, no patterns or this incident or anything.
--
Martin - VoiP.ms

crazyk4952
Premium
join:2002-02-04
united state

Hmm. I am using a Gigaset C610A IP phone. Maybe it was just an isolated incident? If I notice that it happens again, I'll open up a ticket.

jhouston21

join:2004-12-17
Hampton, NH
reply to horacebork

How long will this sub-par service go on? VoIP.ms used to be sufficiently reliable that I recommended them to customers regularly. Now, much to my regret, I see myself as having one less option at my disposal.

I wish VoIP.ms would give us some idea what they're doing to remedy this sort of issue and what the timetable is for final resolution.

MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium,VIP

1 edit

said by jhouston21:

How long will this sub-par service go on? VoIP.ms used to be sufficiently reliable that I recommended them to customers regularly. Now, much to my regret, I see myself as having one less option at my disposal.

I wish VoIP.ms would give us some idea what they're doing to remedy this sort of issue and what the timetable is for final resolution.

Please feel free to send me a PM with your ticket. We'll help ya resolve your issues.
--
Martin - VoiP.ms

H_T_R_N
Premium
join:2011-12-06
Valencia, PA
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to jhouston21

said by jhouston21:

I am struggling with this this very issue. Over the last week the service has been crap. Chat sessions are nothing but an exercise in futility, and a laundry list of what could be wrong with my network, even tho the issue is exactly the same at more than one location with completely separate devices, infracture and ISP. But the problem is on my end. A test extension was configured to access Tampa and so far it has been connected, but the devices that connect (or not) to NY are problems on my end.

I am looking to replace VOIP.ms as I'm not confident they will get this fixed anytime soon.

jhouston21

join:2004-12-17
Hampton, NH
reply to MartinM

Martin,

Thank you for the offer to investigate the numerous issues that I and my customers have been experiencing over the past 5 months or so.

With all due respect, I've opened so many cases, documented so many calls (most worked with Alex) that either didn't ring (no ringback tone) or the first few seconds of the caller weren't heard by the party who answered (one of the other VoIP.ms customers experiencing the same issues) that I'm at the stage that I've lost faith that these issues will ever be permanently resolved. This truly disappoints me because VoIP.ms has a great feature set, but I can't, in good faith, put new customers with your service until the issues that crept up during the past 5 or so months are remedied.

zm

join:2001-06-19
canada
reply to horacebork

FWIW, when I had issues with call establishment (and also registrations) last summer, it was due to server not processing messages and client having to retransmit them multiple times. I had captures of my Obi retransmiting the ACK for 20s before the call was fully established. The solution from support was to switch to another server. All I can conclude from that is server overload, and apparently that is being addressed lately with upgrades.

Speaking of upgrades, montreal seems to work fine now, and I'm waiting to see upgraded toronto... any ETA on that, Martin?

zm

kenja00

join:2009-01-28
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to MartinM

Using an audiocodes fxs mp-114 and 118 box...

I had the delay even on forwarding the call to a cell phone, so I'm thinking it has nothing to do with my setup... However, I've been jumping through the hoops with support's script.

I've been using these guys for a long time... I'm going to stick it out a while longer, as it has been a good service in the past... and I'm sure they'll get it fixed... It's looking like this is not an isolated incident...

Also had a couple of instances where the phone was ringing on the ATA, but on the caller's end the voicemail message from voip.ms was running... strange...

horacebork
Premium
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·voip.ms
reply to horacebork

happened 4 straight times today: call connected but no audio.
they are happy to charge me for the calls, but unable to make the connection function properly.

this is unacceptable.
--

horacebork
Premium
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·voip.ms
reply to horacebork

in addition to calls being 'dead' upon connection, i just experienced a new one: the call simply won't connect.

switched servers back to newyork.voip.ms and it connected.

this is getting comical.

?? why did i port my number to voip.ms again ??
--

MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium,VIP

1 edit

said by horacebork:

in addition to calls being 'dead' upon connection, i just experienced a new one: the call simply won't connect.

this is getting comical.

First, you probably should be working with support to fix your issue. I doubt this is a VoIP.ms problem. This isn't the official complain forum and support forum. This is a forum to share about VoIP, and sometimes, common issues shared by users. This is not a known or common issue and after verification, the staff is handling your ticket properly.
--
Martin - VoiP.ms

H_T_R_N
Premium
Valencia, PA
Reviews:
·voip.ms

said by MartinM:

said by horacebork:

this is getting comical.

First, you probably should be working with support to fix your issue. I doubt this is a VoIP.ms problem. This isn't the official complain forum and support forum. This is a forum to share about VoIP, and sometimes, common issues shared by users. This is not a known or common issue and after verification, the staff is handling your ticket properly.

All due respect there Martin, but there are a number of people having this issue and it is just recently that it has been happening. Support is pawing it off ont he users infrastructure or telling them to use another server. I am haveing the exact same issue as others here, dead calls, no transfer, direct to voice mail and reg issues. I was informed today that I should move to the Tampa server. That should only take all day to do in hopes that it resolves the issue.

I have 2 480is that have a sub on a NY server and a tampa server. The NY will drop calls and not transfer and drops reg, the Tampa one stays rock solid each phone is on two different ISPs, but tech support is still insistent that it is an issue with my network or that my ISP blocks ports. Along with others here having the same issue, warrants this type of thread.

I will spend the day tomorrow moving both offices over to the Tampa server. I will then spent the next week looking for alternatives so that when this happens again Ill be better prepared to just move and not deal with being told that my firewall is blocking ports.

Stepping down off my high horse now.

horacebork
Premium
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·voip.ms

1 edit

I will then spent the next week looking for alternatives so that when this happens again Ill be better prepared to just move and not deal with being told that my firewall is blocking ports.

please keep this thread apprised of your process of service selection.

re: taking all day to change servers..
hey, how 'bout a global switch to alternate server. 1-click and you're done.

--

horacebork
Premium

1 edit
reply to MartinM

you are certainly correct. i am just seeing if there is consensus.
looks like there is. and yes, i am trying to go thru support.

--

horacebork
Premium
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·voip.ms

1 edit
reply to horacebork

as of now, no outgoing calls connect. no ring sounds on my phone.

i am temporarily switching all outgoing calls to anveo and wait for a voip.ms reply indicating they have resolved the problem.

[edit]
on further testing, it's not that outgoing calls don't connect, it takes about 40 seconds to connect. anveo and callcentric are connecting in 12 seconds or less.

sorry for the mis-statement.

--

Expand your moderator at work

kaila

join:2000-10-11
Lincolnshire, IL

1 edit
reply to horacebork

Re: [Voip.ms] "dead" incoming call

said by horacebork:

....i am considering putting an ethernet switch in front of the wireless router so that i can connect both my wireless and telephone sip device "directly" into the cable modem.

I don't think that would work for this reason- if you have the switch plugged into the modem, and then connect the switch to the router's WAN port, none of the remaining switch ports will work since the routers LAN ports are where DHCP is handed out. It won't go back out through the switch...

Take it from someone who's lost hair debugging voip for a long time. Networking can suck sometimes, and that's really where most of the effort in getting voip right lies. Setting up a SIP based voip call is a multi-step dance between you and the voip server using UDP packets, which offer no error correction. If a packet is lost, it won't get resent, which I think is a likely ingredient for receiving 'dead' calls.

Not saying the problem is on your end, but based on Anveo and Callcentric taking ~12 seconds, that's still a problem. Sharing voip with general internet traffic can be a cause of all sorts of voip issues, so go over your own network first. If practical, isolate your network (read: turn off wireless and disconnect stuff) down to just your router with the voip ATA wired in. Test. If the problems persist, switch servers with your network isolated.

Also the AEBS offers no Qos that I'm aware of, but does allow you to port forward. For kicks , use this guide -> »discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3414 and forward SIP UDP port 5060, & RTP UDP ports 10001-20000 to your ATA/IP devices IP. Which may help if you have another computer or device with an application that is vying for those ports.

zm

join:2001-06-19
canada

said by kaila:

...Setting up a SIP based voip call is a multi-step dance between you and the voip server using UDP packets, which offer no error correction. If a packet is lost, it won't get resent, which I think is a likely ingredient for receiving 'dead' calls.

This is wrong. SIP retransmits packets. However, it can take multiple retransmissions (with increasingly larger delay) for the server to finally process the request, leading to dead air or prolonged ringing, depending on which end of the call you pay attention to.

zm

kaila

join:2000-10-11
Lincolnshire, IL

Thanks for the correction zm. Just so I understand this, if for example a SIP UDP 'ack' packet from sender to receiver is lost, there will be another exchange of 'ok' & 'ack' packets, or just 'ack'?

H_T_R_N
Premium
Valencia, PA
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to H_T_R_N

What ever you guys did last-night has cleared up ALL the issues I was having. I know you were going to replace some hardware and some possible software upgrades. What ever it was worked. Still just a tad annoyed that the CSRs are left in the dark about issues that are know on the service side and continue to blame the users infrastructure. If I would have been told that there were issues and that they would be addresses in time, I would have gone on my marry way, without another word. But instead I was forced to spend hours on my end chasing an issue I couldn't correct. I imagine that 90% of the calls that come in are user caused issues, why does the rest of us have to suffer because of them.

I would be interested in hearing from the others in this thread if they are still having issues.

horacebork
Premium
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·voip.ms

1 edit

i agree that something has been done. i tested around 11am est.
that was when i was getting ~40sec connect and ~12 with other providers.
as of ~12.30p est, i got a connect in under 5sec. nice. this is *before* the change described next:

one thing a tech had me change was that since i have two numbers with voip.ms, that i not register them both on the main account.
he had me set up a sub account so each line off my sip device is registered to a different account.

jury is still out on that as not much real-world testing has been done after that change.
will keep the thread apprised of what happens in the coming days.
--