Premium Member
join:2012-12-14
Purcellville, VA

NOVA_UAV_Guy to DataRiker

Premium Member

to DataRiker

Re: People are dumb enough to pay

said by DataRiker:

In the US, low income people have no problems paying 30% of their income on a phone bill.

[soapbox]

That's only because their lifestyles are enhanced by government hand-outs provided by taxing people who actually work to earn what they enjoy.

And then, of course, we have these stupid cell phone give-away programs to low income people that include data and texting in their plans. I've never understood the value proposition here - there's a clear public cost to doing this, with no real benefit other than making a few poor people feel a little better about themselves by having a shiny toy to play with.

[/soapbox]
Terabit
join:2008-12-19

Terabit

Any actual evidence to back this beyond the typical scapegoats of Faux news, Beck, Rush etc?

What's even more laughable is this coming from anyone in the NOVA area, whose bread and butter is government.

MovieLover76
join:2009-09-11
Cherry Hill, NJ
(Software) pfSense
Asus RT-AC68
Asus RT-AC66

MovieLover76 to NOVA_UAV_Guy

to NOVA_UAV_Guy
First of all your information isn't even correct, the phones do not include data for free, the cell phone plans gives 250mins and 250 texts for free each month to people who make less than 14k a year. It's not a toy, it's basic phone service for people who can't afford it.

and your horribly misinformed you think their are a bunch of poor people living well off government handouts, programs for the poor increase employment opportunities and give the poor's children a chance to pull themselves up.
BosstonesOwn
join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA

1 recommendation

BosstonesOwn

It's still a cost to us the tax payer ! Get a job hippie !
NOVA_UAV_Guy
Premium Member
Purcellville, VA

NOVA_UAV_Guy to Terabit

Premium Member

to Terabit
said by Terabit:

What's even more laughable is this coming from anyone in the NOVA area, whose bread and butter is government.

You know, there are some of us who live in Northern Virginia who support limited government with reasonable and sane levels of spending. We also tend to support a government that doesn't tell telcos that they need to pay into a fund that gives out free luxury items (like cell phones) just because they're "poor".

We also tend to be the ones who are smart enough and ambitious enough to not settle for the mediocre jobs that one generally finds with government agencies. We're generally called things like "business owners", "fiscally conservative" and "responsible members of society".

Since this has nothing to 4G data, this will be the last post I'll make in this area of the thread.
b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?
join:2004-09-07
united state

b10010011 to Terabit

to Terabit
said by Terabit:

Any actual evidence to back this beyond the typical scapegoats of Faux news, Beck, Rush etc?

Actually the "lifeline" phone program was started by Ronald Reagan in 1985 to provide free phones to low income families.
This program was then expanded to free cellular phones by the Bush administration in 2008.

Try as they might blame this on Obama.
Obama has nothing to do with the "Obamaphone" except he happens to be President.

»www.politifact.com/truth ··· s-suppo/
NOVA_UAV_Guy
Premium Member
Purcellville, VA

NOVA_UAV_Guy

Premium Member

said by b10010011:

Actually the "lifeline" phone program was started by Ronald Reagan in 1985 to provide free phones to low income families.
This program was then expanded to free cellular phones by the Bush administration in 2008.

Funny. I found a site that mentioned the program actually started in 1996 under Clinton. »www.patheos.com/blogs/ph ··· ma-phon/

Not sure how accurate that is, but it still shows that the whole debacle started prior to Obama - which I think was the point you were trying to make.

Of course, no matter who it started under, it still doesn't mean that the program was a particularly good idea. As I understand it, the program has our telcos paying a fee to support Lifeline - which is then happily passed along to consumers in the form of higher prices. At the end of the day, it still means that you and I pay more to support the burgeoning welfare state of people who shouldn't be granted the privilege of owning a cell phone at others' expense.
bcoleman71
join:2007-09-18
Dallas, TX

bcoleman71

It started under Reagan. I was in middle school when this plan was going into effect. I remember reading about it. There was a change in the plan under Clinton and it was expanded under Bush, but yeah, the plan was totally in effect long before Obama became President.