PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to C0deZer0

Premium Member

to C0deZer0

Re: X79 Motherboard discussion

Yeah, I might just wait for IB-E to come out so we get the USB3/PCI 3 native implementation and Thunderbolt.

I only hope Intel doesn't slap enthusiasts in the face with the shitty heat spreader they put on regular IB which caused OC headroom to plummet.

That will let me buy my second 7970 now, and SSD now, and just deal with the PCI 2.0 and SATA 3 bottlenecks until I get a new board and CPU this fall.

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0

Premium Member

Well, if it's the heat spreader you're worried about, there is one solution... take it off.

»youtu.be/XXs0I5kuoX4

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

lol! Always an option for the fearless...

I'd hope Intel saves us the hassle.

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0

Premium Member

Watching the video as I type this... the stock thermal stuffthat intel put on the ivy bridge looked an awful lot like the POS thermal paste that Sony used on launch PS3's... only gray, instead of white.

Something tells me I'll be doing this if I ever upgrade.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to Krisnatharok

MVM

to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

Yeah, I might just wait for IB-E to come out so we get the USB3/PCI 3 native implementation and Thunderbolt.

I only hope Intel doesn't slap enthusiasts in the face with the shitty heat spreader they put on regular IB which caused OC headroom to plummet.

That will let me buy my second 7970 now, and SSD now, and just deal with the PCI 2.0 and SATA 3 bottlenecks until I get a new board and CPU this fall.

Its difficult to prove a negative. If something exists or will exist you can point to it or the development plans of it as evidence. However, if something doesn’t exist or will not exist you can’t do the same thing.

There is plenty of references to Ivy Bridge-E being a drop in upgrade on X79 / LGA2011 motherboards. By extension, C606 motherboards would likely support Ivy Bridge-E as well, although, I have seen no reports to that effect. Bottom-line is that I don’t really question any of the above at this point. The missing component though is that I haven’t heard any information leaks about a new chipset for Ivy Bridge-E and the lack of info here concerns me somewhat. I’ve also heard that there would be no new chipset for Ivy Bridge-E but it is still too early IMO to tell.

Take note that before Sandy Bridge / LGA1155 launched there was credible information well in advance about the P67 chipset and even the later to be launched Z68 chipset. This gave perspective buyers advanced warning that allowed them to make informed buying decisions. Likewise with the transition from Sandy bridge to Ivy Bridge we had advanced info about backward compatibility and the introduction of the Z7x chipset. We even knew what features / limitations would be present should one mix and match Sandy bridge processors with Z7x motherboards or Ivy Bridge processors with P6x / Z68 based motherboards.

To that end I’ve also seen leaked documents on Haswell that suggest motherboards with their new Z8x chipset will have native 6 SATA 6G ports.

Anyway, the point to all this is that I question if there will be native USB 3.0 support for Ivy Bridge-E due to questioning a pending new chipset. I also question if there will ever be Thunderbolt support for Ivy Bridge-E even if a new chipset were launched with Ivy Bridge-E. Intel omitting an iGPU from Sandy Bridge-E was IMO sound logic but their were physical / thermal limitations as well that made this decision justifiable. While Ivy Bridge-E will be a smaller process, from an engineering standpoint there may still be reason to omit an iGPU. The lack of an Intel iGPU means no Intel Thunderbolt support regardless of if Sandy Bridge-E or Ivy Bridge-E is a higher-end platform and best suited for it.

I’d love to be wrong about this but I just don’t see the evidence of it,………yet.

Maybe if there is a new server chipset that could do double duty in the retail sector that would explain it,……?

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

True. Worst case is I buy an X79 mobo when IB-E is released at a better price than what I could now.

I've cross-posted this discussion to Reddit and Tom's Hardware, and man, Tom's forums is full of a bunch of uninformed wannabe enthusiasts.

One of them was telling me that a Z77 board with a PLX chip is good enough. o.O