spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

skinnypiggy

@radiant.net

[Cable] is this modem compatible with teksavvy 18mbps cable??

I'm currently using dsl and I'm thinking of switching to teksavvy cable (toronto, ontario).

I have found this modem:
»www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/8···3_0.html

and I am wondering if it is compatible with teksavvy.

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33

Re: [Cable] is this modem compatible with teksavvy 18mbps cable?

As long as the firmware you have on the modem is : 1.0.6.1 Then you won't have issues.

Martin

skinnypiggy

@rackonly.com
reply to skinnypiggy

that's the problem? How can I check the firmware before buying? If I have an outdated firmware how can I upgrade it to 1.0.6.1??

MrMazda86

join:2013-01-29
Kitchener, ON

There are many users who can help you in the forum. If you're looking for a re-flash, then I would suggest that mlord See Profile or Teddy Boom See Profile may be your best places to start.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to skinnypiggy

said by skinnypiggy :

that's the problem? How can I check the firmware before buying? If I have an outdated firmware how can I upgrade it to 1.0.6.1??

If you are buying a new sealed SB6121, it will almost always have 1.0.5.0 or 1.0.5.1 on it (NOT 1.0.6.1 as required).

There are lots of sources for modems though, sometimes with guarantees, and at lower prices too
--
electronicsguru.ca

Crowbar1

join:2009-06-23
Toronto , ON

One of the reviewers even stated it had 'outdated' firmware ....

skinnypiggy

@rackonly.com
reply to Teddy Boom

okay, I just checked out ebay and found these:

»www.ebay.ca/itm/Motorola-SURFboa···1wt_1397

»www.ebay.ca/itm/Motorola-SB6121-···3wt_1397

sb6121 is $90 while the sb6120 is $70

should I get sb6121 for $20 more or should I just get the sb6120?? please advise.

mlord

join:2006-11-05
Nepean, ON
kudos:13

Contact Teddy Boom via email or Instant Message (IM), and ask for his advice there. He can upgrade modems, and may also have a few on hand.

skinnypiggy

join:2013-02-12
reply to skinnypiggy

hopefully Teddy Boom can get my instant message. I am new here so I'm not sure if I'm allowed to send IM.

Anon1

@on.ca

Is there any reason why on the TekSavvy site the approved modems for Express 14 aren't the same as Cable 18? Shouldn't they both work with each other?

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
Toronto, ON

said by Anon1 :

Is there any reason why on the TekSavvy site the approved modems for Express 14 aren't the same as Cable 18? Shouldn't they both work with each other?

Express 14 is a Cogeco tier for Chatham cable (but soon to be all Cogeco areas). Cable 18 is a Rogers speed. Cable modems for Rogers and Cogeco are different.
--
electronicsguru.ca

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to skinnypiggy

skinnypiggy, I sent you a pm, but you can just click my web link and then email.
--
electronicsguru.ca