spc
Search similar:

uniqs
itznfb
join:2013-02-11
Pittsburgh, PA

itznfb

This channel is unavailable

To combat some WiFi signal issues I decided to install some MoCA adapters at the other end of the coax. Since then I've been getting This channel is unavailable on about 1/3 of my subscribed channels on my 7216. The 7100 boxes are fine. The coax going into the 7216 is connected to a splitter with one side on the DVR and the other on the MoCA adapter. I redid the connector on the end of the input line after I cut off a damaged portion of the line. Here are some shots of the working box and unavailable DVR. The SNR values seem strange. I'm not sure why the SNR value for the Channel and OOB are different.

kes601
join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601

Make sure you disconnect and reconnect coax from wall, splitter (both ends), and box. Couldn't tell from your post if you did it in all of those areas or not.

If that does not fix it, I would try a different splitter, could be bad. Also, how many splits do you have prior to that split?
itznfb
Pittsburgh, PA

itznfb

I'm fairly certain it goes from the ONT to the main splitter, then this second splitter I'm working with. I've disconnected the coax from the box and 2nd splitter. I haven't gone back further than that. I'll try disconnecting from the main splitter tonight and check to see if there is another splitter in there somewhere.
kes601
join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601

Have you disconnected from the wallplate?
itznfb
Pittsburgh, PA

itznfb

I wish there was a wall plate. It just comes through a hole drilled through the side of my house. There are 6 like that in my house. It was done prior to us moving in.
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL to itznfb

to itznfb
Is the splitter pass the proper frequency range? It must be a broad-band splitter due to the QAM frequencies involved. I can't recall the numbers just now....sorry. Can someone else chime in on this?
crgauth
join:2004-05-18
Glen Burnie, MD

crgauth to itznfb

to itznfb
Have you connected a 7100 in place of the 7216?
If not, try that. It will confirm that coax is good or not.
If you have, and they all worked fine, then I would guess the box is bad.
itznfb
Pittsburgh, PA

itznfb

So I redid the connector again. I made the mistake of using one of these crappy things:
I'm still getting a pretty weak signal but the channel is at least coming in now.
I found that there is an additional splitter between the main splitter and the splitter at the STB. It's outside.
Would I get a better signal if I ran a coax direct from the main splitter across the entire house and bypass the splitter outside?

Rattler
join:2001-04-13
Havertown, PA

Rattler

said by itznfb:

I found that there is an additional splitter between the main splitter and the splitter at the STB. It's outside.
Would I get a better signal if I ran a coax direct from the main splitter across the entire house and bypass the splitter outside?

Yes... Each 2-way splitter loses AT LEAST 1/2 the signal strength (usually ~3.5 dB per leg). Also, if the splitters do not have 75 Ohm terminators on any unused legs, there is the possibility of additional signal loss and noise injection, not to mention a place for the elements to get into the splitter on the exterior one..

With two 2-way splitters in the line, you are losing about 80% of what is coming out of the splitter at the ONT
crgauth
join:2004-05-18
Glen Burnie, MD

crgauth

What is on the other leg of the splitter outside?
Make sure you account for it in the new configuration.
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL to itznfb

to itznfb
said by itznfb:

So I redid the connector again. I made the mistake of using one of these crappy things:
I'm still getting a pretty weak signal but the channel is at least coming in now.

These pictures look like RCA connectors, not coax connectors. Coax connectors screw on and RCA connectors push on.

bocarat
@verizon.net

bocarat to itznfb

Anon

to itznfb
never mind wiring issues. sounds like problem occured after u installed moca adapters. even tho it operates on seperate frequencies as QAM, placement or excessive signal on them can interfere with QAM. power them down and see if channels return.
itznfb
Pittsburgh, PA

itznfb to Rattler

to Rattler
Thanks for the info. That seems about right from the weak signal I'm getting in the living room. I'm going to try and run a cable through the basement up to my living room.
itznfb

itznfb to crgauth

to crgauth
It's a 3 way splitter actually with 2 cables going down to the basement and one going into the living room. Since we only use the lines in the office and living room I'm going to use a 2 way splitter off the ONT and just run lines directly to where I need them. Then just put it back the way it was when we move out.
itznfb

itznfb to PJL

to PJL
Sorry, I attached the wrong picture apparently. The ones I used are identical to those except with coax connection. This is what I meant to link to:
»www.monstermarketplace.c ··· onnector

keyboards
join:2001-02-14
Doylestown, PA

keyboards

said by itznfb:

Sorry, I attached the wrong picture apparently. The ones I used are identical to those except with coax connection. This is what I meant to link to:
»www.monstermarketplace.c ··· onnector

I really would suggest getting (or borrowing from someone) a compression tool and using compression F type connectors (same as an installer would typically use).

I would be very concerned about the integrity of the shield connection on the connectors you linked to.

Here's a complete kit including stripper, compression tool and connectors (no details on how many connectors) as an example ($17.95 w/free shipping):

»www.ebay.com/itm/COMPRES ··· -content