spc
uniqs

DaveX510
@comcast.net

DaveX510 to DaveX510

Anon

to DaveX510

Re: additional ip addresses?

Ya both xboxs need ports 3074 etc otherwise one always one will have a strict nat and trouble connecting or staying connected. MY wife and I both play and most games don’t allow split screening on ranked matches even if we wanted to. I had read here and other places (1-3 years) old about getting 4 additional IPs for like 10 a month that’s why I was asking. So I guess my options are dsl or an additional modem/account.

As far as ipv6 even If I had a public address from Comcast xbox live doesn’t support it.

Lan parties are different. 8 people playing against each other. You don’t even need an internet connection for that just a switch. Problem is Microsoft requires certain ports like 3074 for each xbox. Upnp and port triggering can help get both online but causes problems.
ExoticFish
join:2008-08-31
Zebulon, NC

ExoticFish

When I mentioned LAN parties, I was referring to those who play online while in the group...

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

1 edit

1 recommendation

plencnerb to DaveX510

Premium Member

to DaveX510
said by DaveX510 :

Ya both xboxs need ports 3074 etc otherwise one always one will have a strict nat and trouble connecting or staying connected. MY wife and I both play and most games don’t allow split screening on ranked matches even if we wanted to. I had read here and other places (1-3 years) old about getting 4 additional IPs for like 10 a month that’s why I was asking. So I guess my options are dsl or an additional modem/account.

Well, if the Upnp option does not work, and if it is something that you will be doing a lot, maybe the option of a self-built router with 3 NIC's in it would work for you. One of the NIC's is connected directly to your cable modem, the 2nd would be your internal lan (Desktops, Laptops, etc) with all the correct rules and ports being blocked. The third, would really be a "wide open connection" to the internet, with no ports being blocked. Put a 8 port switch in there, and then connect your two (or 3, or 5) xbox's to that. That way, no ports need to be opened or traffic forwarded to specific IP's on the other side of your router. It will all be passed though.

Again, that would be a lot of extra work and setup, but from what I read, it could be done with Smoothwall Express. I believe Moonwall or PFSense would do the same thing, but not sure.

However, I do somewhat remember an issue with one of these game systems (don't remember which one), but if you did connect two or more behind a router, the 2nd would never connect, as they both had the same public IP. There was some rule in the game servers that if they saw multiple connections to the game from the same public IP, only one would be allowed in. If that's the case here, then yes you would need multiple public IP's. Again, that was a number of years ago, and I don't remember the game system or the specific game that had that issue. But, I do remember a very long discussion about that.

Edit:
Wanted to add a link to a news item that was posted by RyanC6 See Profile back on 05/07/2012 that references what I was talking about (separate network on a home-built router for gaming). See the section "Orange Interface" for more information on this

»Securing Your Home Network Utilizing Multiple Network Interfaces [0] comments

--Brian

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

1 recommendation

DarkLogix to DaveX510

Premium Member

to DaveX510
said by DaveX510 :

Ya both xboxs need ports 3074 etc

Actually if your router is using UPnP then only the 1st one turned on needs 3074, the 2nd one will get another port, the details of the port selection the Xbox'es use is not listed in a doc.

thus if you want multiple Xboxes to all be open-nat then you sadly have to use UPnP.

quickReply
@comcast.net

quickReply

Anon

Just wanted to add that if you're using pfSense and its UPnP service, you can configure it to only accept traffic from specific addresses. This way, one can use the benefits of UPnP while reducing security issues.

Example: Post #6 »forum.pfsense.org/index. ··· 7.0.html