Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

MovieLover76

join:2009-09-11
kudos:1
reply to NOVA_UAV_Guy

Re: I pay over $200 per month.

You don't even have to root or jailbreak with the right phone.
I have a nexus 4 on T-mobile mvno. I always have my phone with me, so why would I pay additional money for an Ipad with 3G/LTE I just turn on the mobile hotspot.

Shared data Smartphone plans on Verizon and AT&T even include free tethering. I guess if you have lots of money to burn you can spend more for your tablet as well as $10 a month just to have them on your plan, but the benefit doesn't really seem to be worth it to me.

Happydude32
Premium
join:2005-07-16
said by MovieLover76:

You don't even have to root or jailbreak with the right phone.
I have a nexus 4 on T-mobile mvno. I always have my phone with me, so why would I pay additional money for an Ipad with 3G/LTE I just turn on the mobile hotspot.

Shared data Smartphone plans on Verizon and AT&T even include free tethering. I guess if you have lots of money to burn you can spend more for your tablet as well as $10 a month just to have them on your plan, but the benefit doesn't really seem to be worth it to me.

I’m anxiously awaking Verizon to launch another 3G/4G tablet that is not a Samsung. As much as I want to support Samsung, with them being the AntiApple and all, I just don’t care for their mobile products. I see absolutely no point in having a wifi only tablet.

I like the Droid Xyboard tablet, but won’t buy it since it’s EOL. I have an HTC tablet on Sprint, and having the built in data is great! I also have a Sony wifi tablet and it sucks not having a data connection when away from home. The Sony is so much faster and more responsive, I’d love to use it more. Yes, I could use my mobile hot spot feature on my phone, but if I’m in a 3G area I can’t use data and voice at the same time, being a mobile hot spot absolutely kills the battery on the phone, and being connected to a cellular provider via wifi, just adds unnecessary latency and slowdowns. When using the mobile hot spot feature in conjunction with my Sony tablet, the thing can barely load a YouTube video without buffering a dozen times with decent 4G coverage. I’ve noticed the same thing with my laptop. Even with the phone sitting right next to the laptop, I get better connectivity, faster speeds and lower latency when using my USB modem versus using my phone as a hot spot.

$10/month access charge is a small price to pay to be able to share my 10GB of data that I have for my two smartphones and USB modem with a tablet. I still have a USB modem and tablet on Sprint. It’s costing me $80/month. I wish I could pay $30-40 and share a few gigs between the two, instead of each having it’s own separate plan.
--
Dale Jr, Riding Daddys Coattails Since February 18, 2001!

MovieLover76

join:2009-09-11
Maybe it's your phone or Sprint's network i don't know, but I don't have any issues using my phone as a mobile hotspot with my tablet. speeds are identical to what I get running a speedtest on my phone. Depends on your usage i guess, I only occasionally use my tablet out of the house.

Are your devices all from the same carrier? Sprint's network can be pretty damn slow.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
reply to Happydude32
One solution would be to get a mobile hotspot. You can connect any Wi-Fi enabled device to a MiFi.

I have a Mobile Hotspot but I use it mainly to connect my laptop on the go. I use the 4G connection in my iPad when I'm on the go.