spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ifbyair

join:2013-02-11

iPad/iPhone with hughesnet Gen4

After upgrading to HUghesnet Gen 4 (HT1000), I'm seeing apparent compatibility issues when loading websites on iPad or iPhone via a Belkin N+ router.

Websites hang up and take forever to load. Restarting the site request multiple times seems to force the site to load, although still very slowly. Using Speedtest's app, the iPad measures 4.4 Mb/s down and 1.8 Mb/s upload speeds, while hughesnet speed test via PC ethernet measures 10Mb/1.2Mb. Hughes assured me verbally (they claimed to be unable a confirming email) that I was in a 15Mb/s download area.

I haven't found an answer to this online, and dread trying to get Hughesnet to show an interest in the issue, so thought I'd try here first.

Anyone have any luck tweeking this type problem?

Thanks

gwalk
Premium
join:2005-07-27
West Mich.
I know Hughes is having across the board issues.
I am on a HN7000 so my performance is much less than yours.
I have an Ipod that connects from time to time and that is operating OK.

Considering the speeds, issues and near riots occuring on the official support website, your speeds don't look all that bad.

Remember your "fine print" reads "up to" and Hughesnet is not known for honesty and intregrity.

There were/are many posts about speed and connection issues with anything Apple.
The problem is there are so many deletions by the Hughes Mods the subjects and any solutions are just cut to ribbons.

the site is here, for what it's worth:

»community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics

gwalk
Premium
West Mich.
reply to ifbyair
I'll pass this along to you as an indicator of the type of support you might expect:

This reply has been removed by Hughes:

In some ways i'm reluctant to say this however: It is all part of what I like to call "The Tenderization Process". This consists of many calls to overseas support, where you will start over many times. It will be repeated at each level. Hopefuly you will have a landline, not a cell. Wait times will be very long because of the success of Gen4 and people "Qing" up as it were. After a couple of months you may be "assigned a dedicated agent" that will finally explain that 11% of your "Up To Speed" as defined in your contract is the norm. Successful "Tenderization" is when this works for you.

Replies can be removed by community moderators if they contain inappropriate content or private information. This was the reason given in this case: Hughes: "I have removed your comment."

ifbyair

reply to gwalk
thanks, gwalk. I'll look at that..I'm aware of hughesnet's less than forthcoming approach to customer service, but decided to try the Gen4 since it was supposed to be an upgrade. They're rumored to have accepted a big check from Uncle Sam (us) to bring "broadband" to the masses.
If so. I hope they can meet their advertised service levels.

I tried to nail them down on expected D/L speeds, and they guaranteed that if I didn't get 15Mb/sec down, that I could cancel, "no problem" lol. I'm sure they'd remember that promise, right?

ifbyair

reply to gwalk
Hughes: "I have removed your comment."

caramba!

gwalk
Premium
West Mich.
reply to ifbyair
I tried to nail them down on expected D/L speeds, and they guaranteed that if I didn't get 15Mb/sec down, that I could cancel, "no problem" lol. I'm sure they'd remember that promise, right?

I am afraid the Hughes forum is filled with promises like that.
The fine print is "up to"
If you read it closely you will see it obligates you for everything while guarantying you nothing.

If you are new to Hughesnet you have a 30 trial, if you have Gen4 as the result of an upgrade, you don't have a way out.

As to canceling,,,well good luck with that, read this post here on dslr and this is just the tip of the iceburg

»Censorship and Cancelation Issues..

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY

1 edit
reply to ifbyair
Back to the original question, I too ran into the iPad/iPhone problem. For some reason the HT1000 doesn't like the default DHCP range in the Belkin. I fixed it by going into the router user interface and redefining the range to 192.168.2.100 - 192.168.2.200

(Note: edited typographical error in addresses)

//greg//
--
HN7000S - 98cm Prodelin/2w "pure" Osiris - ProPlus - G16/1001H - NOC:GTN - NAT 67.142.115.130 - Gateway 66.82.25.10 - DNS 66.82.4.12 and 66.82.4.8 - Firefox 15/MSIE9 - AV/Firewalled by NIS2012

ifbyair

"I fixed it by going into the router user interface and redefining the range to 192.168.0.100 - 192.168.0.200"

I'll try that, Greg, thanks!

ifbyair

reply to grohgreg
Greg,

I changed the last number in the default DHCP "start" address to .100 and last number of the "ending" address to .200 as you suggested ( default was .2 --> .100 ), and tried to load a webpage on the iPhone. The rate-of-load was better than default, but still hung up just before finishing. It only took one additional attempt to load the page, however, to get the page to load; as opposed to several attempts using the default range.

I then tried .2 ---> .200, and the iPhone and iPad both loaded much better, and with only ONE link selection!

I appreciate the tip!

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

Dawson Springs, KY
My bad, that's what I get for going by memory. Just checked my Belkin GUI, which confirmed my mistake. So others aren't misled, I edited my post above to reflect 192.168.2.100 and 192.168.2.200. That said, I see you got there despite my gaff. Good job

//greg//

ifbyair

Well, the above changes seemed to work for a day or so, then the same website-loading issue returned.

I have not found any other fixes for this problem online, so I resorted to calling Belkin support.

They told me that my router is a "very complicated" router for business use only, and that I would need to pay $120 for a 2-3 hour "escalated" tech support session to successfully configure my router for home use. Yikes.

I think I'll just go buy another router (not Belkin). If anyone has Hughesnet Gen4 and a router which connects well to apple products, I'd love to hear what you're using.

Thnaks all.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

Dawson Springs, KY

3 edits
Really? I've been using Belkin for years, never heard of a "very complicated" business router. I currently use their N1 Vision, and have a Surf N300 on hand as a backup. My iPhone5 and iPad4 working fine, first time, every time. No special settings needed (other than changing that DHCP range). The Apple AirPrint feature is great too, I enjoy being able to send straight from the iPad/iPhone to the laser printer.

If you don't mind sharing, which specific N+ model is this "complicated" one (there are currently five)? Also, perhaps you'd be more specific about the nature of this website loading issue. I experience occasional "page not found" errors, but that's been a systemic issue with Hughes for years. They're typically cleared with a simple page refresh.

//greg//
--
HN7000S - 98cm Prodelin/2w "pure" Osiris - ProPlus - G16/1001H - NOC:GTN - NAT 67.142.115.130 - Gateway 66.82.25.10 - DNS 66.82.4.12 and 66.82.4.8 - Firefox 15/MSIE9 - AV/Firewalled by NIS2012

janedeaux

join:2012-02-15
Yazoo City, MS
reply to ifbyair
I have two ipads in the family, using a linksys router. No problems with either ipad. What version of ipad are you using?