uniqs

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS to Jaxom

to Jaxom

Re: Bonehead move turns my computer into Tor exit node

said by Jaxom:

Has absolutely nothing to do with Teksavvy.

I think he's trying to make a subtle attack on the whole Voltage v TekSavvy drama going on with the "IP is not a person" statement he's mentioned twice now.

And that's a whole other can of worms being discussed in other threads.

As for antivirus protection, MSE is great for a free alternative but shouldn't be relied on if you want to be serious about protecting against malicious programs.

And as sbrook already said, the first thing you ever do when you suspect infection, is immediately disconnect the machine from network physically (or disable the wireless adapter via hardware switch on the notebook). Then you go about finding, negating, removing and restoring.

QuantumPimp
join:2012-02-19

QuantumPimp

said by TypeS:

said by Jaxom:

Has absolutely nothing to do with Teksavvy.

I think he's trying to make a subtle attack on the whole Voltage v TekSavvy drama going on with the "IP is not a person" statement he's mentioned twice now.

Not subtle and not an attack. Just relaying an experience that caused me to consider how easy it is to become a victim. You've correctly identified why I thought it important to post here (or at all). Anyone thinking this has nothing to do with TekSavvy is not paying attention.

As both you and hm suggest my reliance on UAC and MSE demonstrates poor judgement and is not enough. Never would have thought so. With all of the exploits being identified lately I am left to wonder, given the complexity of the systems and software we use every day, how much is enough?

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

So what was the software?