how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

hchen42

join:1999-12-23
New York, NY

[TWC] Time Warner Bulk Rate package / 2 rate reductions

I just want to share my two recent rate reduction experience with Time Warner.

Some relevant information about me. I live in zip code 10016 (Murray Hills, Manhattan, NY). My residence is a 14 story tall 100+ units apartment building.

My first rate reduction came around June of 2012. My apartment had a bulk rate with Time Warner for $101 (jan 2012) including all the fees. The package consisted of standard Internet (10 mbps last year) and standard cable. Between my cable bill and paying my parents' utility bills, I needed a bit of relief. I called TWC, and tried to negotiate a lower rate. I told them if they can reduce by $10, I would stay on or I am canceling the tv portion. Surprisingly, TWC refused my proposal. I canceled my TV portion and kept the Internet. I told the phone rep I would return the set top box (stb) at the Time Warner store that's 10 minutes walk from my apartment. Within 24 hours, I got a call from TWC "retention department" who surprisingly offered me a new rate of $72 ($75 after all the fees) with std internet, tv cable plus DVR. He sent a technician out within 5 hours (ON THE SAME DAY) to swap out my regular cable box with a DVR box!! The rate is effective for 24 months. No contract.

Last month, I received a letter from my apartment management firm that Time Warner has reduced our apartment bulk rate double play package from $101 to $64.95 plus fees. The $64.95 + fees package consists of turbo internet (20mbps), modem fee waived, std tv. It was a no brainer. I called up TWC, switched to the bulk rate price. Trekked over to Time Warner store, swapped in that crummy DVR box (I've recorded probably a grand total of 4 shows for 6 months - so don't really need dvr) for a brand new STB (Samsung SMT-H3362 HD). This bulk rate is effective for 12 months.

Time Warner has been losing many TV subscribers. In NYC, FIOS is "stealing" their customers. I switched my parents to FIOS at end of last year, and their bill is now $30/month lower. My sister has switched to FIOS as well. Given the current economy, TWC seems very willing to negotiate.

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

Actually if you look at the numbers TWC's count is DOWN and losing customers. Telco TV is actually adding customers, especially since MSOs- TWC won't compete on price anymore.

toolman25

join:2012-11-19
Cincinnati, OH

2 edits
reply to hchen42

Good Deal

good deal