All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS to GirgleMirt

to GirgleMirt

Re: Cable performance and IP phone questions?

The ATA TSI sells isn't not intended to be a router or replace your already existing router (although you could if you wanted too). It's main purpose is to translate the digital phone call to analog so you can use any telephone that uses the standard RJ-11 telephone cord.

If you already have wireless phones in your home with a common base station that uses the telephone cord the goes into the wall, you would just plug the base into the ATA and all phones would connect.

There are DECT Wireless handsets out there where the base comes with a built in ATA, they seem rather pricey from what I looked up. It's cheaper to go with a stand alone ATA (the one TekSavvy sells or you can buy your own as well) and use your existing phones if that is possible.
GirgleMirt
join:2002-11-01
Saint-Laurent, QC

GirgleMirt

TypeS: Yeah I think I now grasp the principle. You need an ATA adapter (Analog Telephone Adapter) to connect a phone to the router/modem.

So if I understand correctly, something like this should work: »www.grandstream.com/inde ··· rs/ht701

So far, I have 4 bland analog phones connected to the Bell wall sockets. So a no go with using my existing phones: I'll have to buy indeed a base + 4 handsets who's price seems to be around 130$ for the 'kit'. No built-in adapter though, but the ATA adapter I just mentioned can be had for 30$ is seems, which is 50$ less than TSI's Cisco 122. There's also the Cisco 112 ATA adapter which seems like it could do the same job as the 122 (well allow analog phones to work), for 45$ around.

It's already 85$ for cable activation, 130$ for new phones, so I'm trying to keep costs down as much as possible...

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS

Yup thats perfectly understandable about trying to keep costs down. I was on the fence for a year about switching to TekSavvy cable because of the initial costs.

I would personally suggest the Cisco 112 adapter since it will most likely the same GUI interface as the 122 and will make it easier for TekSavvy get you setup/configuring the ATA for connecting to TekTalk.

Compared the two just now actually set it up between the modem and router (or switch since you wouldn't need another router behind it). But since you already have a router the 112 is definitely a good choice then at almost half the price. $2 cheaper at NewEgg Canada as well.

Maybe TekSavvy should change to offering the 112 instead, most people will already have their own router. Unless there is some benefit to an ATA with router capabilities that I am unaware of?

random
@teksavvy.com

random to GirgleMirt

Anon

to GirgleMirt
You can wire all the phones in your place to the ATA in one go simply by connecting a RJ11 cord from a phone outlet to the RJ11 socket on your ATA. This would let you use all you existing phones with existing wiring and does not require you to buy new phones. The most important part is disconnect the Bell wire coming in from your demarc that feeds your home wiring.

The ATA that TSI sells is old and the built in router cannot support traffic faster than 7Mbps. The ATA part work fine..

Don't count on TSI's support when it comes to ATA especially when you are using a different model. VoIP providers that do that as their sole business have much better technical support, much less wait time and much lower prices.